Inexpensive small bore target rifle?

idek

I was in the same boat not long ago... wanting something with more reach than a .22lr that was still affordable to shoot. I got a Savage .223 for a bit over $400 and ordered 500 rounds of brass case ammo at about 27 cents a piece. I got a used Leupold on Ebay and some Talley rings.

Combined, it all cost about what I see Ruger Minis selling for. Haven't been able to get out much yet, but so far I'm happy with the choices. I'd considered a Ruger American, but the Savage action is supposed to better suited to modification and rifle building (which might matter to me down the road).

NWCP

I have a CZ 527 in .223. A nice accurate rifle for plinking, or paper punching and not too pricey. Also fun on P-Dogs. When hunting predators though I prefer my scoped AR15 with a 1 in 9 twist. I use that or my AR in 6.8SPCII on coyotes. The 6.8 will also do a number on hogs with good shot placement. Check out the the CZ in .223. I think that's what you're looking for. :D

SARuger

My Ruger American standard in .223 will shoot MOA on cheap 55g FMJ ammo, right out of the box. I haven't even adjusted the trigger yet.

But one note to add; With that 1/8 twist rate it loves 69g and higher and the 77g really shines. I have decent glass on mine for range play and varmint, a Nikon PS 4-12x40. Mine likes the Buffalo Bore sniper round.

With a little more work and if I were a better marksman, I think it would one hole 3 rounds at 100yds

The barrel on the RAR needs time to cool between rounds so bring your coffee to the range :D