In This Article NBC Appears to Suggest Arming the People for Freedom

BlueTrain

This thread is getting lofty.

Given the diverse nature of the posts here, it's worth mentioning that conditions in different countries where there have been revolutions, civil wars or radical changes in government have been a lot different from one another. The fact that there may or may not have been some form of gun control really doesn't seem to enter into the matter. For instance, conditions in Russia in 1914 were hardly the same as they were in the American colonies in 1775. The circumstances in Libya, Syria, Yugoslavia, Vietnam, etc., etc., are all different, which is not to say there are absolutely no similiarities.

Somehow or other, there seem to be ways to find enough arms to finish one revolution and start another one. Things don't always turn out very well and I wouldn't characterize any of them as clean. It took a long time for Mexico to finally settle down, for instance, and the revolution in Russia took longer than we realize today. And in the first true revolution, the one in France, every country in Europe got involved eventually.

There was a lot of street violence before Hitler got elected. Remember how popular he was, too. His first supporters in Germany were WWI vets, probably a lot like veterans in this country and just maybe a lot like members of this forum. And even he wasn't self-appointed. There's even an element of democracy in dictatorships. The only difference is who gets to vote.

Last edited:

MTT TL

How to get to Hitler in 20 posts or less? I suppose some apologists were inevitable.

All I am doing is pointing out the hypocrisy or if you like the willful obtuseness of NBC.

On the one hand NBC produces multiple articles and media wanting to take away my snub nosed .38 I carry for personal protection (after I have completed a background check, safety class etc). On the other hand NBC then advocates giving fully automatic weapons, anti-aircraft guns and hand grenades to a bunch of terrorist backed revolutionary wannabes to over throw their government without any vetting of anyone whatsoever. Some of these quite likely were attacking and killing US soldiers in Iraq. They know full well the terrorists intend to carry out a campaign of mass murder and quite likely genocide. A stunning hypocrisy really.

Whatever the current political conditions are in the US are really irrelevant. We have had periods of little freedom, periods of greater freedom then periods of less freedom. I believe the last armed uprising in the US territory to overthrow an autocratic government occurred in 1975, although it may have been more recent. Arms have played an important role in the fight for freedom, even if only as a symbol, up to the current day. Anyone who thinks otherwise is being intellectually dishonest.

MLeake

MTT TL, NBC grasps the ideal of revolutionaries fighting a murderous regime. To certain mindsets, that's romantic - not an invitation to future problems.

NBC does not identify with individuals who just want to be able to defend themselves in day-to-day life.

This is a common theme amongst the anti- crowd.

MTT TL

Oh well... in that case giving arms to a bunch of murderous thugs makes perfect sense.

:rolleyes:

I guess I have been missing this point of hypocrisy all along.

MLeake

Yeah, well...

On the one hand, Hemingway and his compadres fighting against long odds vs Franco and the Fascists.

On the other hand, Paul Kersey shooting poor misguided street youth.

Or so many journalists seem to see it.

Ever notice how many gun control people (at least the younger ones) wear Che Guevara shirts or memorabilia?

It's all in romanticism and emotionalism, IMO.