In the white?

Walt Welch

Well, even though I worked as a biochemist, and graduated in the Class of 1976 at the University of Nebraska (GO BIG RED), I decided to post this question to a man who plates and strips firearms for a living, and who has probably forgotten more about the subject than I will ever know.

I am doing this, of course, out of a pure search for the truth, not because some weasel is trying to squirm out of giving out prizes. ;)

Here is the answer:

Well, Walter, it isn't any mystery. Lye,(sodium hydroxide), or washing
soda, which is sodiun carbonate(not bicarb)or TSP, (Tri-Sodium
Phosphate),
are the most commonly used degreasers. The sodium saponifies(turns to
soap) the oils and fats present so that they will wash away.
Unfortunately, it also attacks aluminum and magnesium alloys just as
quickly and washes them away.heh heh. Not a smart move. Jack F

The greatest obstacle to true education in this country
is the worship of "credentials" rather than knowledge.
<http://www.jack.fuselier.com>

I then asked him about the wearing of the anodized layer may have affected the process:

Right, Walt,
I'm sure the anodizing/dye combination does protect the metal for a
short time, probably long enough in the case of some alloy frames
to save them. It's possible that this gun was not anodized at all,
there is no rule that says it must be. Aluminum oxidizes and
protects itself against corrosion anyway and anodizing is just an
artificial extension of the same process. Not all anodizes are the
the same anyway, the voltage level used, the electrolyte used, and
the dye and the curing process all make a difference. Additionally
a powdercoat of clear lacquer is sometimes baked on. I use powdercoat
myself on some things. I don't trust the anodize completely just
because of incidents like that one. A good anodize/dye job is a thing
of beauty, as much trouble as bluing, and you don't want it ruined by
a can of oven cleaner. Jack F
Eagerly anticipating the arrival of my prize, along with the simultaneous poster who answer was as valid as mine, I remain, Respectfully yours, Walt Welch

Doc Lisenby

Thanks a million, Walt, I like to learn a few things from real experts. Keeps me from getting too pompous. I disagree with Jack about the hinderance to education tho'. I prefer: "We think we know everything, therefore we can't learn sh--."
I just got volunteered to teach Anatomy and Physiology to a class of surgical nurses next semester 'cause they can't find anyone to teach it. I'm having to drive 23 miles thru the swamp (one way at night) so they can pull down $30 an hour at my Medicare expense.
When am I gonna fix these boys' Walmart guns?
George, can we find out whether these rec'rs are anodized or not? Let's get another question going. How about whether corollary forces causes the commode water to swirl clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and does it cause a bullet to drift to the right or left? My opinion; nope and to the right with a right hand twist. Doc

Hey Doc!

A lass from Down-Under told me that the water swirls counterclockwise there. So long as it goes away, I'm a happy camper.

Gary

Walt Welch

Doc; you nearly gave me a coronary looking up corollary. As I thought, a corollary is a proposition which follows from one previously proven.

You probably mean the Coriolis effect. This is simply a corollary <g> of the fact that the earth is rotating, and objects traveling above it tend to appear to move, as the earth is rotating below the object: here is a better explanation:
http://www.media.uwe.ac.uk/~masoud/projects/water/coriolis.htm

Think about a particle of water moving over the earth's surface in a northerly direction, in the northern hemisphere say. It has, in its new position, an eastward velocity greater than the ground beneath. Relative to the earth it appears to be swinging to the right.

Again, if water or air moves eastwards, its velocity relative to the axis of the earth is greater than the ground beneath it, so it tends to move "uphill" to the south, where the earth's velocity is greater. Hence it appears to veer to the right. It will be found that free initial movement in any direction invariably produces a rightward swing, in the northern hemisphere.

This apparent desire for moving water to swerve to the right means that it tends to form a vortex, running counter-clockwise, the so-called "Coriolis" effect. The same reasoning applied in the southern hemisphere produces a clockwise vortex. Sections through such swirls are trumpet-shaped. They are called "free" vortices, or whirlpools, and the fluid flows in towards the centre, following a spiral path.

However, Doc, the Coriolis effect is extremely small, requiring something like a Foucalt pendulum to demonstrate it. So, while large masses of air follow this rule of curvature, small masses of air, or water, as in a bathtub, do not necessarily do so. The Coriolis effect is easily overwhelmed by local forces.

Now about having to teach A&P to a bunch of nursing students; why, there was a day when I would PAY for the honor of doing so <bweg>
Yours in science. Walt

Doc Lisenby

Thanks for the correction, Walt. I thought it didn't look right (Coriolis). Now when I get in a discussion about the toilet again, I'll refer 'em to the site you gave.
You know, there is some evidence that 'flu shots may be implicated in causing Alzheimer's D.. I think mine is senility.

Rob, give Walt the damn shirt. I have enough hair to keep me warm and he will look classy tooling around in his Porche in a skivvy shirt.

When did they get flush toilets in Australia?

Rob Pincus

Okay, okay.. since the official judge has been sufficiently bullied to rule in favor of a prize.... send me your address Walt.

------------------
-Essayons

George Stringer

Staff Alumnus
OK Guys, I talked with Remington today and ask about this. They used an electroless process to coat the alloy that causes their dye/coating to bond with the AL on the 552. If this helps to clarify anything for you Doc and Walt then there you go. George

Doc Lisenby

Electroless like electroless nickel plating? That ain't anodizing in my book. Seems like it is the reverse. The aluminum would be the cathode in plating, and the opposite would be the case in anodizing. George, we gunsmiths gotta stick together on this. You mentioned anodizing and Ol'Walt fell in behind you. Now we find out that I was more right saying that it was a type of coating. It was fun anyway and thanks to all you bored readers for putting up with us. Rob, I could use a redneck fedora (baseball hat) to keep the "skeeters" off my poor ol' haid. Love, Doc

Rob Pincus

Okay, Okay.... But, you guys have to send my your addresses.. I can't just miracle any prizes to you.

------------------
-Essayons

Walt Welch

DOC you are such a whiner!!

It is true that electroless Ni is not an anodizing, but a pyrolyzing technique of applying a coating (and generally inferior in withstanding corrosion than hard chrome anodized on).

NP-3, however, is electroless Ni with PTFE (Teflon) in it, and is quite corrosion resistance.

Further, my esteemed fellow colleague, if you REALLY want to get into a coating vs. plating discussion, I will have Jack Fuselier come over here and rip your ears off! ;)

Seriously, there was a good discussion of coatings vs. platings and other methods of corrosion resistance on the 1911-1 newsletter a few months ago, including bluing, parkerizing, hard chrome, Ni, both electroplated and electroless process; given sufficient motivation, and reader interest, I may perhaps share this with the forum.

After I get my jacket from Rob (t-shirt will definitely not do it) Size is XL. Thanks, :) Walt