In The Home Carry

Status
Not open for further replies.

egor20

Pax
I know dozens of women who carry regularly. To the best of my knowledge, none of them disarm simply because their husbands are armed.

The only time my wife's not carrying is when its her turn to have a drink (wine or sherry) when we go out to dinner.

Dwight55

Thanks to a suggestion from a Fla sheriff's deputy, a few months ago, . . . I obtained a commander sized 1911. I cannot tell you why it seems more comfortable than a full size, . . . but it does.

AND BECAUSE OF THAT it is much more comfortable to carry, . . . more convenient, . . . and I am back to 24/7 carry.

My home borders on a "several thousand" acre wildlife area/hunting area/state park, . . . and at certain times of the year, . . . Bubba and the mall ninja hunters arrive with what sounds like 40 round automatic 8 gauge shotguns.

About 2 miles away, . . . a young girl (early teen) lost her life to a rapist/murderer (never found), . . . and about 10 miles away an elderly lady was knifed in her bed by an attacker who put a ladder up to the second story, . . . cut the screen, . . . and he/she was never found either.

Yep, . . . I carry, . . . more or less 24/7, . . . in fact even when I am on TFL replying to an "In The Home Carry" thread :D

May God bless,
Dwight

Jeremiah/Az

I am an old man that lives alone in a very rural area. I get very few visitors, but when I do, they are usually lost & I have no idea what they are up to. Carrying to me is part of getting dressed. LEO's are 1/2 to more hours away.

I had a knock on the backdoor @ about midnight. He said," Sheriff's Department." I had not called them. I answered the door with a gun behind my back. When I turned to lay it on the table, he said that I scared him to death! He was lost.

Mobuck

My wife probably wouldn't carry a gun even if she lived in the middle of the most dangerous place in the country. Even if she did, it wouldn't do much good. When her cell phone rang a while ago, it took 11 rings before she could remember which pocket/orifice she'd stuck it in and dig it out to answer.

anthony6727

I carry all the time in my home. I used to not do that and just left my handgun in my nightstand on the 3rd floor of my house. I had an experience where I was working late in my home office in the basement and some hooligans started ringing our doorbell at 1:00 in the morning. Now while the incident was minor, I realized that my gun, while just upstairs, might as well have been a mile away. Had the hooligans broke down the door i would have been "caught with my pants down" per say. Ever since then i always carry. When i don't feel like wearing jeans, i use a shoulder holster.

Also, I don't have any kids yet, but I plan on keeping my handgun on my person at all times instead of leaving it in a safe.

Mello2u

I have adopted the same habit as Bailey Boat.

Right after I put on my pants, I holster my gun IWB, pull my shirt-tail over the handle, and it is concealed. I have been doing this for decades.

Onward Allusion

I carry at home as well, but I'm not sure if it would really do anything against snipers. Sometimes doo-doo happens. At 80-something, I would imagine it would be hard to defend oneself even armed 24x7. :(

9ballbilly

While I do not carry in the house my nightstand gun, a Ruger speed-six .38spl. loaded with +P 125gr. JHP's is never more than a few steps away. Fortunately I live in a small house. The very few times people have knocked on my door unexpectadly I've answered with it held behind my back. fortunately there was never a problem, almost all were just looking for directions. While I don't critisize or condemn anyone for carrying while at home, to me it's just too much of a PITA.

MLeake

While my wife doesn't carry, yet, two couples that are friends of ours are his-and-hers carriers.

One couple owns a 44' ketch, and travel the caribbean sometimes. Those two even practice pirate/hijacker drills, and have code words for "shoot the person(s) who are with me" when they travel.

So briandg's assumption is... well... an assumption. I have to agree with Pax. (And I'm trying to get my wife to carry.)

jason_iowa

I live in methland ya never know who's gonna come knocking or what they are on. Most times I have a 45 on me just because I have for 10 plus years. I only leave it in the car when I go into restricted places. I also have a shotgun and an AK in my room everything else is in the safe. I don't have any kids so that's not an issue. Its a boy scout thing not a paranoia thing.

After more then a decade of carrying this month was the first time I ever had to draw one and have never had to use it as a civilian. So I know the odds are in my favor against anything happening. I have never had use of my seat belt or helmet either but I wear em when I drive or ride.

jason_iowa

Buddy of mine just had his golden retriever attacked by a neighbors shepard in the back yard. No gun on him he just had to kick the shepard until it ran away.

therealdeal

Dwight

About 2 miles away, . . . a young girl (early teen) lost her life to a rapist/murderer (never found), . . . and about 10 miles away an elderly lady was knifed in her bed by an attacker who put a ladder up to the second story, . . . cut the screen, . . . and he/she was never found either.

probably the same scumbag

therealdeal

I had a knock on the backdoor @ about midnight. He said," Sheriff's Department." I had not called them. I answered the door with a gun behind my back. When I turned to lay it on the table, he said that I scared him to death! He was lost.

this is very upsetting. I don't doubt your wits, as you have made it this far(you claimed you were an old man in your post). This guy is lucky you didn't point the gun at him. He wasn't the Sheriff's Office, right? If not, he is a very shady character in my book.

Nnobby45

I do think that many who do carry in home are probably overestimating their situation, and they could probably live out a thousand lifetimes in their current circumstances without having ever had a home invader.

Another odds maker.

The odds are 100% that it's going to continue to happen to many who had those same wonderful odds working in their favor.

And some won't even be living out one life time---since they'll be murdered like others "protected" by the odds.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Nnobby45

I don't usually carry in the home, though I'm not always in a hurry to remove my weapon when I do return home.

I have made and effort to make it difficult for Bubba and his friends to cut me off from a weapon if there's a sudden unexpected entry:cool:.

Don P

Thankfully the wife is as much of a gun nut as I am ans she too carries when ever possible. Better to be prepared than the :eek::eek:

TexasJustice7

QUOTE: ClayInTex
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Am I paranoid? No, but I do know that somewhere, sometime, someone is out to get me. No, there is likely no one in the city who is intent on going out into the boondocks looking for Clay. He’s there but is merely looking for anyone who’s a possible target with money.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I totally agree with you. I normally carry two guns on me, the third in my pocket, due to some threatening behavior, after I had called the police out
regarding theft. And I have friends who think that wearing two guns openly in my home is paranoid and would rather become a potential victim.

I saw someone who had a quote which said, "Paranoid? Maybe, Likely Victim-- I don't think so". And that is the way I look at it. I can't stop crime, am not a police officer, and am not intent on doing that. But I think I have a pretty good chance of preventing me or my daughter from becoming a victim. But the pocket gun is a constant, too along with my primary carry it is almost always in my pocket outside the home.

Stressfire

My wife probably wouldn't carry a gun even if she lived in the middle of the most dangerous place in the country. Even if she did, it wouldn't do much good. When her cell phone rang a while ago, it took 11 rings before she could remember which pocket/orifice she'd stuck it in and dig it out to answer.

"Good" to know I'm not alone...I'm workin' on her (tactfully, I did pay attention to the "How to get your wife to hate guns" section on Cornered Cat;)), but I think the Lions have a better chance at the Super Bowl:confused:

UtopiaTexasG19

I have been fortunate in my career of 41 years to have lived and worked in 17 foreign countries and am now back in the US permanently though I still do consultation work over the Internet. I have never felt the need to carry a gun at any time. Just my opinion, please don't flame.....

L_Killkenny

Proponents of something will always find examples to justify their position. I can find where a guy fell off a 2 foot ladder and broke his neck but that doesn't mean I'll wear a stinkin harness everytime I look at a ladder.

Home invasions where people are murdered, raped or severely beaten can and do happen everyday. But it's absurd to even try to prepare for everyone of life's downfalls let alone the ones with the least probabilities. That's why we wear seat belts but not helmets when driving, why we tie off when working in high places but not when on a 2 foot ladder and why we don't go jogging with dark clothes on in the middle of the highway at night.

You want to feel the need to go heeled while walking around your house go for it. I'll feel free to either point out that you need to move or "may" point and laugh at you the same as I would a jogger running around a high school track with a flashing DOT barricade strapped to his back in broad daylight.

LK

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.