In the Gun Free Paradise of the UK, the Law Will Not Protect You

Pond James Pond

@ Terminus

Good news for gun enthusiasts, but if you did have more training and a more structured evaluation of who handles guns and how, then that number would doubtless be even lower. Surely, no bad thing...
Would be interesting to see if States that had some sort of assessment/training requirement prior to running into a LGS and buying a .45 had a lower incidence than those that don't...

@egor20

I am very happy that your wife is happy with her personal life choices.

Doner kebabs are more dangerous to ones health than either cars of guns. Avoid

MLeake

Pond, states that have no training requirements for concealed carry have not had a higher incident rate among CCW types than states with strict requirements have had.

If I were to turn homicidally insane, in a mass murder way, I would probably be more effective using explosives, or by taking my 6000+lb 4WD and driving through crowds of pedestrians.

Egor20, doner kebabs are the Turkish variant of a shwarma, kind of like a gyro. They are typically sold from stands or carts by Turkish immigrants in Germany and eastern Europe.

Pond, I have spent some time in the UK, more time in Germany, and more time in Italy. Please bear in mind that a lot of us Americans, particularly the military ones, have traveled a wee bit.

BGutzman

Are you suggesting that a gun is less dangerous than the smallest car on the market?
If you don't think a gun is less dangerous, how can you justify people buying them without some sort of check that you can handle it safely, physically or intellectually?
If you believe a gun is less dangerous, I guess you have your reasons....

Factually in our nation more people are killed by vehicles every year than all gun activity combined (lawful use of force and illegal use of force combined)

Approximately 1/3 of all the people "killed by guns" used the gun to kill themselves. Typically about 11,000 +/- people a year kill themselves with guns. Me personally I dont consider these 11,000 deaths to actually be a crime as how do you stop someone intent on self destruction? Sounds like a mental illness to me....

But even given that in an average year you people in the US are killed by household poisons than all actions with any guns. All my facts and figures come from the Center for Disease Control and if I can reasonably find it I will include the link to the engine to derive the numbers so you can check my facts for yourself. And yes cars are more dangerous than guns for several reasons. Even the smallest commercial cars have significant weight, a bullet on the other hand is part of an ounce or in some cases on the very low end of the ounce scale.

http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/mortrate.html - the facts the anti gunners cannot defeat....

E=MC2 - A handgun will generally have a limited recoil that should be equal and opposite to the force being shot forward... A car will have a similar effect as it is driven forward. A car will certainly take more energy to move and thus will take more energy to stop in comparison to a bullet...

(And yes I am not using the full set of science terms but the fact remains a bullet takes less to stop than a car at normal driving speed.)

The reason we don’t try to outlaw cars is almost everyone who is an adult is familiar with cars and they aren’t considered strictly dangerous by the general joe on the street, the same is not true for guns..... Yet factually they are both property and with few exceptions can never do anything without a human controlling the action.

People need cars for transport and thus use them every day and generally they feel comfortable with them. People may only "need" a gun for self-defense once in a lifetime although hunting and other uses are as legitimate as driving.

The rub is how many people are breaking the laws in cars every single day? How many people speed every day? Drink while driving? Road Rage? Yet people aren’t raising cain about car control..... Why because they dont want to walk to work and the store etc....

People raise cain about gun control because the media in large part focuses language to make almost anything with a gun negative and controversial. also lots of people have never held nor ever touched a gun so it seems to be some evil unknown that our media reports negatively on every day.

How do I justify people buying a gun without a permit? Rights dont require permits... where is the free speech permit? Freedom of religion permit? Freedom of the press permit? If your of the age of majority and not in prision our Consitution seems to be quite clear that you have a right to keep and bear arms...

Nowhere does our constitution say a felony conviction = gun rights removal... It does have a due process of law clause but again I think the founding father would agree that if you werent in prison you as a citizen have a right to arms...

Last edited:

Pond James Pond

@ Mleake

Please note: I never said that none of you had travelled. I was interested to see how many. If you have visited to the UK, then great: you have a taste of the place or part of it. If you have lived there, you'll have an even better idea of real life in that country.

I have travelled to the US. However, I would not claim to know it. I am sure those who were in the military have travelled a wee bit. Having not been in the military, perhaps you can enlighten me: do you feel that travelling in a military capacity gives you as clear a picture of a place as travelling on civvy street?
I ask as my friends who were in the Armed Forces had spent time in Northern Ireland, and Germany. They seemed to know their bases and a few watering holes, but could have been accused of "immersing themselves" in the local culture... particularly Germany. In the case of Northern Ireland that was probably ill advised.

@ BGutzman.
Good to hear that guns are statistically safer than cars.
Safer and safe are alas not the same, especially when dealing with a piece of engineering designed to efficiently kill.
Your previous statements suggest your logic to be "a gun is safer, therefore any and all can have access", whereas for me the more prudent approach is "it is safe and therefore all can have access". Given that guns cannot be called arbitrarily safe, by their very nature and purpose, it seems wiser to ensure and check all those with a gun know what the heck they are doing.

You also cite mental illness. Well, again, I prefer to know that there are systems in place, for example here in Estonia, that have at least a basic psychiatric evaluation into a person's mental well being before letting them go and buy a killing utensil. Mleake mentioned explosives, well that is a rational and logical approach if you chose to go nuts, but headcases are sometimes as impuslive as others are calculating. Similary some are more prone to crimes of passion than others. You get my drift.

The former approach (gun handling and safety) would logically make NDs less likely, and the latter (So, Mr Pond. Are you a nutter? No, Doctor.) would no doubt avoid mentally unstable people from having access to a destructive weapon.

With all said and done, the relative dangers of cars v guns is a bit off topic. My bad, I brought it up. But as a comparison, for me it holds. Both require careful handling.

Still, you can guess that I disagree with your view of absolute zero gun control. I am sure that the principle fits the American constitution. However, in reality, I doubt that every person who has or could have a weapon, if they simply chose to go in a shop and buy one, would be as responsible a gun owner as, doubtless you, and most other TFL members are.
Not everyone is intelligent.
Not everyone is mature.
Not everyone is responsible.
These are all traits I would like to see in a person living next door, if they owned and keep a gun.

Ergo: for me pragmatic gun control, is not bad.
Excessive, baseless, indiscriminate gun control is.
(and the UK is not somehow the epitome of a failed state!!)

Last edited:

Stressfire

So before this gets closed:

Suspending a sentence for the reasons given by the judge in this case is absurd, and IMO a gross miscarriage of justice.

"Blame it on the alcohol" makes for a catchy hip-hop song, but has no place in the law. By the same reasoning, a drunk driver should not be charged if he's never taken a drink before that night.

Oh, and just for the heck of it, what is
Hibo Maxamed, who needs dialysis three times a week for a kidney complaint
doing drinking alcohol in the first place, just sayin'

BGutzman

Mr. Pond I appreciate the spirited and good discussion but I believe at this point we simply have to agree that we disagree, yet another benefit of freedom...:) on my final note keep in mind those same mentally ill could be driving a 1000+ pound vehicle....

I look forward to more debates in the future....:)

Last edited:

Pond James Pond

Likewise, good sir!!:)

If it is any consolation, I think most of the lunatics at the wheels of 1000 pound vehicles are over here, in Estonia.
We seem to have more than our fair share.