in general, does it cost the customer something to send a gun in?

jhenry

The only gun I ever had to send back to the factory was a Diamondback DB9 that refused to run through an entire magazine without several malfunctions. They refused to pay for shipping. The gun came back and if anything was worse then before. This was all with the very ammunition they recommended. Then they refused to take it back to fix again because they said they already fixed it once and they considered it done. Bad company, bad product, bad service.

Thespis

My experience with North American Arms (NAA) suggests that they will repair their pistols for free and pay shipping. I sent them my NAA .32 ACP Guardian which I had bought used. The mechanical problem involved relentless stove-piping. The legal problem was that my Guardian was only legal in Massachusetts because it was of pre-'98 vintage. No newer NAA guns are legal here. So if NAA couldn't fix the problem, I was stuck. As it happened, they put well over $400 in parts into repairing my pistol, sent it back to me working perfectly, paid postage, and even threw in a couple of free magazines. Great company!

zxcvbob

My understanding is Taurus will cover shipping to Taurus in the first year. (They'll fix it for any owner, any time.)
I called Taurus to get a return authorization (required for warranty repairs) to get my new Gaucho repaired and they put me on hold and never picked up again. So I took the gun to a local gunsmith and paid to get it fixed. IMHO, their lifetime warranty is a fraud.

lee n. field

I called Taurus to get a return authorization (required for warranty repairs) to get my new Gaucho repaired and they put me on hold and never picked up again. So I took the gun to a local gunsmith and paid to get it fixed. IMHO, their lifetime warranty is a fraud.

You shouldn't need an RMA.

Using our Repair Policy is as simple as we can make it. Simply print out and complete the work order and follow the shipping directions in this section. If you have any questions, please contact our customer service at

305-624-1115 or fax at (305) 624-1126.

http://www.taurususa.com/repair-policy-use.cfm

My old 66 went in a couple times. I called and asked, and they said "just ship it in".

What I had heard or read about Taurus paying shipping in the first year, I'm not seeing anything about on their site.

Dain Bramage

I'm not that impressed with Ruger CS at the moment.

They didn't cover shipping when my brand-new 50th Aniversary .44 Mag Blackhawk had problems with the reverse index pawl. The guy on the phone just gave me the shipping address, and acted like he didn't understand my problem (or I was stupid). I should have asked for a return label, but just shipped it on my own dime. At least they fixed the problem correctly, and now it's one of my favorite guns.

Then, when I sent an email asking for a new front sight for my SR-22P, they just directed me to their website for purchasing a new one. The original fell off after it was intalled askew at the factory. The soft plastic was so mashed by the dovetail, that it wouldn't stay put.

craZivn

That sucks that you had a bad experience with Ruger, mine was just the opposite. All three times I called them they were short, courteous and to the point. Two of the times involved an RMA, in which case I was told the same thing both times: a prepaid label was being emailed to me at that moment, box up the gun and include a note describing the problem.

I paid for my gun when I bought it in January, since then it has been replaced by a higher-priced model due to a malfunction, and the replacement has been serviced due to a factory QC issue. None of which has cost me anything but time, for which Ruger sent me a few inexpensive bits of swag as a "we're sorry", which was a nice gesture if nothing else. Ruger also re-imbursed me for the transfer fee and background check on the replacement gun, since it had to go through my FFL.

Turnaround time was three weeks for the replacement, and two weeks for the repair from the day of my initial phone call.

It helps to ask for stuff that you think you deserve if they don't offer it up front. Also, I think it's better to call than use email. Mornings seem to be less busy, afternoons you may be on hold for fifteen minutes or so but you will get to talk to a human.

Ivan

1-UP

My one experience with Ruger CS was also an excellent one. Grips on my Ruger Mark III broke (Plastic around the screw disintegrated, not sure if I overtightened it or if it was just bad). Called them up, talked with a wonderful lady and got a new pair of grips in the mail a few days later. They did request the old ones to be sent in, but they sent an envelope for that as well.

No money out of my pocket, CS was a pleasure to talk with, everything was made right in an extremely timely fashion. They could write the manual on how to do CS in my opinion.

temmi

I have only had to send back 1 Handgun

My HK USP

I cost shipping there

They shipped it back

No charge for the work

Snake