in general, does it cost the customer something to send a gun in?

cajun47

do most firearm companies fix newish guns for free? is the customer expected to pay shipping or other fees?

JWT

Most gun manufactures will repair a gun at no cost IF you are the original owner. Many will not cover a second owner. Most also cover the shipping costs both ways.

kraigwy

I can only speak for Smith and Wesson. I had a 642 that broke. I contacted S&W and they sent me a mailing label, pre-paid to fed ex the back to S&W.

Before I got notification that they received the gun, I got a call saying the gun was beyond repair, and they were replacing it, at no charge.

Since the new gun had a different serial number they had to send it to an FFL where I'd pick it up.

Didn't cost me a penny.

I also had to send my PPK to Smith under the recall, again, they sent me the mailing label, didn't cost a penny.

Other then that I don't know, haven't had to deal with any other.

Kreyzhorse

Depends on the gun maker. Ruger, S&W and Springfield will cover shipping off the top of my head. Taurus will balk at covering those costs.

Repairs are generally free.

cajun47

how do they determine im the original owner? i bought a naa mini revolver around 1991 and im 90% sure i would not find a receipt.

lamarw

I have only sent two firearms in. The first was a Bersa, and I had to pay the shipping cost to their repair represenative. They shipped it back after repair on their dime.

I sent my Remington R1 in for the first year free inspection and cleaning. Remington paid the freight both ways plus they state they will pay all shipping cost for warranty repairs.

It appears to vary between manufacturers and is another thing to possibly consider when buying a new firearm.

I always register my new firearms with the manufacturer for the warranty plus I keep a copy of the sales receipt.

Sig provides you with a 15% off coupon for the next thing you buy from them when you register your new firearm.

I just read on the semi-auto pistol forum where Beretta paid all the shipping cost for a forum member with a warranty issue on his pistol.

HiPoint and/or Haskell has a lifetime of the firearm warranty to any owner no matter if you are the fifth owner. So, you can buy their guns used and have a full warranty. I do not know who pays the shipping cost.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Most makers will cover shipping costs for warranty repairs. Some will pay shipping for any repairs. All makers will cover warranty repair free. Most will charge for repairs if they feel the customer was responsible for the damage. All will charge for custom work, such as shortening a barrel or installing non-standard sights.

Jim

oldandslow

c-47,

I've had to deal with a few Customer Service departments over the years and the quality varies with the manufacturer.

EAA- cracked slides and frames on two metal framed pistols. I had to pay shipping both ways. They refused to honor their "lifetime" warranty as the parts had been hard-chromed because of a corrosion problem.

Smith Wesson- cracked frame between sear pin and hammer pin causing hammer follow on a used 5906. They said they couldn't repair it and offered to replace it with a new plastic M&P 9mm. I said I'd rather have the 5906 Tig welded if possible but they insisted on the new pistol. That was 6 months ago and several emails ago. I think my pistol is lost in their paperwork pile. They did offer to pay shipping both ways however.

Taurus- broken locking block on a PT-99. They said to mail in the broken part at my expense and they shipped me a new part at their expense- three months later. At least it works well now.

No problems with my other brands- Glock, CZ, Springfield, Sigs, HK's, Berettas, Remington, Howa, Winchester.

good luck- oldandslow

deepcreek

I have only sent one in, it was a Beretta less then 1 week old. They paid shipping and repair, Beretta has a 2yr warranty and I filled out the registration which is supposed to make it a 3yr warranty.

After this experience and a couple of other problem guns I am going to always try to read the warranties and customer feedback. If a company won't stand behind their product I will spend my money somewhere else.

BigD_in_FL

You are looking to ship a 22 year old gun back to the maker? Are there no gunsmiths in your area? If not, most likely you will be having to pay something - whether shipping one way or both or repairs or all of it

Microgunner

I shipped a Kahr in for warranty repair and Kahr paid shipping both ways.
I sent a SIG in for custom work and I paid shipping both ways.

DMK

kraigwy said:
I can only speak for Smith and Wesson. I had a 642 that broke. I contacted S&W and they sent me a mailing label, pre-paid to fed ex the back to S&W.

Before I got notification that they received the gun, I got a call saying the gun was beyond repair, and they were replacing it, at no charge.

Since the new gun had a different serial number they had to send it to an FFL where I'd pick it up.

Didn't cost me a penny.
That's surprising. You didn't have to pay a transfer fee to the FFL? Or did S&W pay it?

newfrontier45

I'm sure some states differ on this but there is no federal legal requirement for a replacement gun to go through a dealer. I think some manufacturers do so to simplify things on their end. A replacement gun can be sent directly to its owner, regardless of serial number.

IMTHDUKE

Didn't cost me a penny.

I also had to send my PPK to Smith under the recall, again, they sent me the mailing label, didn't cost a penny.

Other then that I don't know, haven't had to deal with any other.

Hard to beat S&W CS.

One reason to keep your sales receipt and to register the gun with the manufacturer.

SCCY makes a 9mm auto that carries a lifetime warranty that transfers with the gun to who ever owns it.

lee n. field

Depends on the gun maker. Ruger, S&W and Springfield will cover shipping off the top of my head. Taurus will balk at covering those costs.

My understanding is Taurus will cover shipping to Taurus in the first year. (They'll fix it for any owner, any time.)

the357plan

oldandslow

That's the risk of sending a damaged gun in. If it's beyond repair and deemed a liability risk to the general public, you're probably not getting it back. So I would just settle with Smith & Wesson.

BuckRub

Smith And Wesson- you could be the 100th owner and they'd still fix it. Needed Glock for a warranty and they expected me to pay shipping to them. Smith& Wesson - pays for shipping both ways.

Kiawah

NAA has lifetime repair, so that will be free.

The shipping on a 22 year old gun IN for repair, I'm sure will be on you. Shipping back out, I believe NAA would pick up.