IMR4227 for .44mag ?

Nemsis

As we all know powder is very difficult to come by so I'm trying to consolidate.

I got my hands on some IMR4227 to use for plinking loads in my .300 blk and would love to use it for my .44mag.

Anyone have experience with this powder?

Last edited:
I've never used it myself, but Hodgdon lists plenty of loads on their site. QuickLOAD thinks about 30% is going to be blown out unburned from a 7½" barrel using a 240 grain bullet. More with lighter bullets, less with heavy ones. So it'll make lots of fire and not be very clean.

mnoirot64

It's been a very good powder for me in 44 mag. As always, use the manual for a starting point and work up from there, watching for signs of over pressure.

Nemsis

Yeah for some reason my phone won't let me get on the site to check load data.

Quick load is not making it sound very good

I will be loading for a 7.5" Super Blackhawk if that helps

Nemsis

Mnoirot64 I will definitely work up my own load but what arethe details of yours?

Does this powder like heavy or light bullets, jacketed or lead?

Jim Watson

My M29 is noticeably more accurate with IMR4227 than 2400. Velocity is lower, though. I never shot anything in full charge magnums but 250 gr Lyman/Keith SWCs.

WESHOOT2

It normally prefers heavier (240g and heavier) bullets; material and/or construction doesn't seem to matter.

rclark

Yes, I have tested from 17.0g (1007fps) to 23.0g (1250fps) under 240g SWC in a 6 1/2" BH. Have not marked any load as an accurate (or inaccurate) load, so must have been just ho-hum :) . Wasn't until I hit 21.0g (1139fps) that the SD dropped below 20fps. Use a Magnum primer of course with this powder.

Nemsis

Thanks for the quick help everyone, I'm going to try and get some more powder after work while it's still on the shelf!

Nick_C_S

IMR4227 is a thoroughly recognized go-to propellant for high-end full-house 44 Magnum (& 357 Mag, & 357 Maximum, & others) rounds for decades.

Salmoneye

I have used 4227 in .44 Mag in the past, and as noted it is a fire breather...Especially in low light full throttle situations...

floydster

20.1 grs. 4227 pushing a 240 gr. SWC powder coated in my SBHB is a very accurate and fun load, the bore is absolutely spotless after 50 rounds.

Axelwik

It seems to be very accurate with all of my 44 Mag guns. Carbine and handgun. It leaves a bit of powder residue after firing, but it's not a problem.

Just used some to fuel my new S&W 69.

It's turning into my go-to for 44 Mag. The 2400 and H110 are gathering dust on the shelf.

Last edited:

mnoirot64

Mnoirot64 I will definitely work up my own load but what arethe details of yours?

Does this powder like heavy or light bullets, jacketed or lead?

I load 23 grains of 4227 over a Winchester large pistol magnum primer. It is topped with a 240 grain Nosler JHP bullet. I believe this gave me around 1250 fps out of my S & W 629. It's a fairly stout load and shoots quite well. I like the fact that it is very clean in this gun.

Sharkbite

I dont load 44mag, but 4227 is my go to powder for 300blk supers (125gn)

Easier to get consistant ignition then 296/110. Especially in cold (+/- 0) weather

Old Stony

I used 21 Gr. of IMR 4227 for years shooting IHMSA stuff. It was my best load for a 10 1/2 inch Super Blackhawk using 240 Gr. Hornady. A lot of the guys used heavier loads, but I never had any problem knocking down 200 meter rams with it.