IMR4064 Burn Rate Data

InigoMontoya

It is NOT as simple as how long a piece of powder burns.
I'm well aware.

But before I endeavor to play quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys, it behooves me to at least practice throwing a football around. Walk before you run and all that.

Last edited:

darkgael

LGG

Inigo: What size bore/projectile are you working with? How would a particular propellant be contained for ignition? As I understand from my background reading about LGGs, they normally use some cartridge - a shotshell or other; are you looking to do something different?
Is there a particular pressure profile that works better than others?
I apologize as these questions are not exactly on topic.
Pete

InigoMontoya

Inigo: What size bore/projectile are you working with? How would a particular propellant be contained for ignition? As I understand from my background reading about LGGs, they normally use some cartridge - a shotshell or other; are you looking to do something different?
Is there a particular pressure profile that works better than others?

Off the top of my head, it's about a 4" bore, 4 lbs piston. Propellant ISN'T contained for ignition, it's a bag charge (although it is wrapped around a sting that itself does have a contained ignition charge).

As for LGGs using a cartridge, in my experience, that's only for very small examples. Larger guns tend to be bag charges. That's not absolute, mind you, but it's a rule of thumb. In my experience it's about a 50/50 crap shoot on "any given gun."

It sticks in my head that Arnold (AEDC, Tullahoma, TN) has a light gas gun program. If it has survived budget cuts.
Yeah, so does Redstone and Socorro. Problem is lack of funding to formally approach them (and even then the odds of their guns being of a similar design as our's are small).

darkgael

more

Thanks for answering my questions.
About small LGGs and power - again, only what I've read. "One particular light gas gun used by NASA uses a modified 40 mm cannon for power."
How fast does the piston have to be moving in order to be effective? I understand it is probably a range of velocities. Have you or anyone else looked into black powder as it's characteristics are quite different?
Pete

Last edited: