Improving Rem 700 reliability-dual ejectors

roklok

I am a fan of the Remington 700, as I posted it is my go to rifle for most of my hunting. However, I am not blind to its faults. First, I would not buy a new one, all mine are from the last century, all built in the 80s except one from the 90s.

I swap in the older bolt locking safeties on mine, I prefer the safety to lock the bolt shut. I also screw and epoxy the trigger connector to the trigger, eliminating the dangerous floating connector which has caused lots of problems for Remington. I have not had an issue with extractor, and am not sure that anything needs done to it. I guess if I have an issue that would change my mind. The failure I describe above is the first I have had in the field. I decided to add the second ejector because I believe that even though a bolt is maintained properly, a piece of grit or brass shaving can make it stick. I would much rather have a claw extractor and a standing blade ejector, but not sure it is worth the disadvantages in the 700 (possibility of blown out extractors, different ejection angles, weakened bolt). I saw a Remington 700 at a gun shop in Anchorage that had been retrofitted with a Mauser style claw extractor, but I do not believe anybody does that conversion any longer.

FrankenMauser

Stuck ejectors seem to be a big problem for Remington right now.

My father had a 783 that went back to 'Remington' multiple times (at least three), due to a stuck ejector, and even had the bolt replaced.

While dealing with that, the "service center" - a one-man gunsmithing operation in Utah - told him that it has been a very common repair in recent years. On the 783, stuck ejectors are becoming enough of an issue that they may surpass broken trigger housings and broken/lost extractors as the most common failure.

...Which just goes to show you: Even when they take an existing design that works as intended, they can still find a way to screw it up! (The 783 bolt head was taken directly from the Marlin X7, which the 783 is derivative of.)