Improving Rem 700 reliability-dual ejectors

roklok

During a recent hunt, I had a failure of one of my 700s, causing me to miss a second chance at a buck. The plunger ejector stuck, causing a double feed when I ran the bolt. I have hunted with 700s for 25 years, they are my go to rifle, and this was the first failure I experienced in the field. I did have an ejector stick once before, 20 or so years ago when I was younger and dumber with a HOT load when developing loads, but I did not think anything of that because it had forced brass into plunger orifice, and shavings of brass plugged plunger.

This time, it was a factory .243 load. I was not ready to give up on my various 700s, but my faith had been shaken. I knew that several AR-10 manufacturers are offering bolts with dual ejectors to boost reliability, and PTG just started offering aftermarket 700 bolts with dual ejectors, but as of now, only with magnum bolt face. I decided to give it a go, and install a second ejector in one of my 700s. It went really well, so I did another. I have tested it, and with only the top ejector I added, it ejects flawlessly. So, if either ejector sticks, the other will still clear case from action. I was a bit worried that the high position of top ejector would force case downward causing problems, but I cant tell the difference in ejection between the top and bottom ejector. With both installed, ejection is definitely more robust.

roklok

These two were standard long action, a .270 and a .35 Whelen. I intend to do the .243 that started this project and a .300 Weatherby next, just waiting on ejectors. I just used a drill press with a #29 bit to start, then clean hole up with #28 bit. Holes are then polished with 320 grit sandpaper rolled into a tube. A longer retaining pin is required, as it is now retaining two ejectors

Last edited:

eastbank

seems like alot of work for a problem that can be cured with a good cleaning every 4 or 5 years, that would take care of it. thats what i do with any plunger type ejectors in my rifles and the plungers do get dirt,crap-crud and brass shavings in them over time. if the brass rim is a little thick the extractor will shave off small slivers of brass that will compound the problem. eastbank. PS, by the way, good work.

jmr40

I just buy Winchesters, problems solved. Ejectors and extractors are better, bolts don't fall off, better safety and the sear won't disengage unless you pull the trigger.

And I've used 700's for over 40 years so I do have 1st hand experience with lots of 700 issues. I still have one, but it won't be my go-to rifle any more.

roklok

I knew it wasn't gonna be long until the Winchester 70 comment was made !

I have a Winchester 70, a nice New Haven Classic with CRF in .30-06, but no matter how I try, I just don't like it nearly as much as my 700s. In my opinion, the M70 has a vastly inferior safety to the Rem 700, my main reason for preferring the 700, but that is another subject.

Last edited:

reinert

eastbank is spot on; cleaning is key. If you're dual ejector plungers work on your other rifles, ESPECIALLY up where you live, then you should go that route on your M700, .243 (Just IMO). Compared to my weather conditions in my particular hunting area (dry, and big, wonderful, windy and mostly moderate Wyoming), and probably most others who are interested in this thread, your AK weather stuff is no doubt a proving ground as to what works when hunting, and what's reliable (let alone your lubrication methods). I'll still use my M700s with complete confidence where I live. No problems so far, and I don't expect any; safety practices at all times rule.

Whatever I use for rifles during the hunting season, they start out clean. I take a few shots to check zero, and to foul the bore. Hunt the season, clean the guns after the closing times and put them in the safe. It's always worked for me thus far, and no shaken faith regarding reliability in my rifles have concerned me to date.

BTW, I'd love to own a 50's vintage M70, but really don't need one at this point. I, too, really like the way my three 700s fit me.

Slamfire

It is unfortunate that your bolt face mounted ejector failed in the field, however this is a common design found not only on many bolt action rifles, but many semi auto rifles. At least for my Garands/M1a's it is easy to disassemble the bolt and clean the ejector and spring. I have not tried taking apart the one in my M700.

Another issue you have not experienced, but if you shoot enough rounds in a M700, is extractor failure. While the M700 bolt face provides outstanding gas shrouding, being uncut and enclosed by the barrel end, this design lead to a rather weak extractor. These extractors are weak, easily broken if dirt gets under the lip, and it will wear out.

There are plus's and minus's to all actions, but I prefer the M70 claw and manual ejection. The M70 does not provide as good protection against case head sidewall rupture, but it extracts and ejects more positively.

roklok

I prefer the Model 70 extraction and ejection system as well, it is the rest of the rifle I do not like as well. I am aware of the Rem 700 extractor being another possible problem, and keep a close eye on them. I have never had a problem to date. In my opinion, the perfect bolt action does not exist. The LAW 704 is probably the closest, and if I could use a Remington 700 shroud and striker assembly in the 704 bolt, then use a 700 trigger assembly with 700 safety, it would be about perfect. I intend to inquire about that possibility. I do not care for bolt mounted three position safeties.

chuckscap

I have a BDL in 270 I bought in 68. Hunted with it for 40 years and gave it to my son, killed a couple of dozen elk, seven bears and too many deer to count with it. Never had an issue, only clean it with Hoppes #9. I bought a Rem XCR II in 375 H&H for a brown bear hunt in April of 2011. It wouldn't feed factory Remington 375 H&H ammo right out of the box. I called Remington and they said they would fix it for free, but I didn't have time. So I had my local gunsmith, Kevin Weaver, install a Sako extractor, weld on the bolt handle and rechamber it to 375 Weatherby. It's an awesome rifle now, got my first brown bear with it, then gave it to my son. I will probably not buy a new Remington again. My goto rifle these days is my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery for everything but prairie dogs and I'm thinking of using it for that too :)

Snyper

I suspect the failure was due to improper cleaning and lubrication.
You can spend money on a new design, but that won't fix the root problem.

reynolds357

The proper "Fix" for the Rem 700 is to add a Sako extractor. I personally would not consider doing that unless I planned on hunting something with it that could eat me.

roklok

I do not think it was a maintenance issue, I think it was a brass shaving in the wrong place at the wrong time. After the failure, the plunger worked freely before any lubrication or cleaning. I have shot literally thousands of rounds through 5 different 700s and this was the first time it happened in the field. My theory is that it is a very minute chance of an ejector sticking, the chance of two ejectors sticking at the same time are next to nothing except in the case of a gross overload.

I have noted that the Garand and M14-M1A ejectors are wedge shaped, and I suspect this would make them less prone to sticking, but that is just a theory, may not be true.

std7mag

Alas, I'm with the others as far as bolt maintenance.

If it were me, I'd be more inclined to install dual safeties than ejectors. :D

chuckscap

"The proper "Fix" for the Rem 700 is to add a Sako extractor. I personally would not consider doing that unless I planned on hunting something with it that could eat me."

That's what I had done on my XCR II in 375 Weatherby. I shot this nice brown bear at 13 yards with it...

dgludwig

QUOTE: "...I do not care for bolt mounted three position safeties..."

I much prefer three-position safeties and have them on some Ruger and Savage bolt-actions. What I really don't like are the litigation-worried lawyer inspired two-position safeties as found on all Remington Model 700s made after 1982, where the bolt can be opened with the safety in the "on" position. When traversing heavy cover in typical whitetail deer habitat where I hunt in Michigan and Pennsylvania, I don't want the bolt on my rifle jarred open inadvertently by brush or limbs.

Slamfire

The proper "Fix" for the Rem 700 is to add a Sako extractor. I personally would not consider doing that unless I planned on hunting something with it that could eat me.

I would rather leave the M700 bolt face as is and not install a SAKO type extractor. The down side is with the SAKO extractor conversion is that the extractors line up with the locking lug raceway on a M700 and if there was a situation where the extractor blew out the extractor could conceivably travel down the raceway into the shooters face or right side of his head.

Over the years there have been posts about folks that have had the extractors driven into their shoulder. One thread, don't remember where, mentioned a left-handed shooter who was blinded in one eye when his Sako extractor came out of his Rem 700 bolt head.

Just yesterday I was handling a nice Ruger M70 which has a claw extractor and a manual ejector. I would rather get one of those instead of converting a M700 to a Sako extractor.

DPris

Member Emeritus
I tried to work with an otherwise nice little brand new Rem Model 7 some years ago.
The ejector froze in place on the first & only shooting session, with factory loads.
Denis

tangolima

Two is better than one, then three must be even better, right? I wonder whether it reduces support to the brass head.

This single button ejector has be around since before wwii. It has been used extensively in combat, mostly in semi auto, which is even more demanding. That is the real-deal dangerous game hunting. The enemy shoots back.

I have a 40-year old Remington 700. I keep it original, except making it able to open action on safe. It is better for me this way as I don't hunt. Just keep it maintained. That includes occasionally taking out the ejector and cleaning it. I will replace the button or spring when needed, when there is slop or the spring felt weak.

-TL