Imagined vs. Actual Recoil

DAVID NANCARROW

one of the reasons the straight line stocks are so popular...its a straight shove backwards rather than the kick back and up. Another thing which helps other than the weight of the weapon and stock is the thickness of the buttplate. I have an old S&W 12 gauge auto which can bring tears to your eyes if shot with magnum loads, but the same loads in an old mossberg pump is no big deal. They weigh about the same, and the smith is a gas action so should be a bit easier on the shoulder, but its not

300magman

Never forget the clothing factor! When I was very young I hunted geese with a 12 guage and stout charges of lead shot. It was COLD and I always wore 3 jackets just to keep my teeth from chattering out of my head. I NEVER noticed that a 12 guage recoiled...not even in the slightest.

One hot July day I got an invitation to go shoot some skeet, when I fired the first shot (wearing nothing but a light t-shirt) I litterly blurted out "what the hell kind of shell was that" ... Since I knew big goose shells didn't recoil, there was a moment when I thought someone must have figured it would be funny to give me a skeet gun loaded with a slug.
But no, it was just that I didn't have all that winter clothing to soak up and spread out the recoil, therefor the little skeet shell felt like it recoiled more.

300magman

Another subjective element to recoil is what I call the "Ohhh this is going to HURT!" frame of mind.
If you hand someone a rifle and tell them how to hold it, but then say "Hold on tight, that thing is going to kick like a mule", they will inevitably brace themselves, hesitate, flinch, and Then pull the trigger. (and tell you, just how right you were when you told them it was going to hurt)
Take that same gun and hand it to a similar person, tell them how to hold it right, and tell them its a "small, light caliber that a kid could handle" and they will probably fire it a few times and hand it back with no real sign of discomfort.

And while I'm at it. How about adrenaline or even distraction? Ever notice that when the buck of a lifetime is standing in front of you, or when a grouse suddenly bursts up and surprises you, that your gun never recoils.
Basically, if you are excited or focused on something other than the recoil you probably won't notice it nearly as much as if you are carefully taking aim at a paper target and focusing on "holding the gun properly"

Perception can be a funny thing.

Delaware_Dan

FWIW, I'm a small guy that doesn't have much "high power" rifle experience. I have quite a bit of shotgun slug experience in 12 and 20. A 30-06 is much sharper to me than a 12 gauge slug.

I would equate an all steel 1911 to a 12 gauge non magnum slug as a "push" and a Ruger Alaskan .454 casull to a 30-06 as a "kick". Your mileage my vary..

MLeake

300magman...

... the phenomenon you describe has a corollary.

In wrecks involving a DUI driver, all things being equal, the drunk tends to have fewer injuries.

Medical theory I've read is that because they are relatively unaware, and their muscles are already relaxed somewhat by the alcohol, they don't tense up at the last moment like sober drivers and passengers will, and so they absorb impact energies differently.

Fear sucks. Even when it is merited.

BobCat45

I think 300magman is right in another way, too.

Everyone "knows" that if you focus on your front sight, the shot will be good. I think the focus and concentration on keeping your eyes open, maintaining the sight picture and seeing the sight when the shot breaks, distracts the shooter from recoil and eliminates the tendency to flinch.

Gee.. it seemed so insightful, but written down it seems like something everyone already knows...