I'm thinking of a 9mm, best financial investment is...

osbornk

I don't think anything you are going to carry and shoot on a regular basis will maintain or increase in value. I obviously didn't consider resale value when I bought my 4 handguns chambered in 9MM as they are S&W, Ria, Taurus and SCCY. They are affordable guns that have never malfunctioned and accurate. Buy what you like to shoot at a good price and don't worry about it. Anyway, whatever you buy may not be desirable in 10 years due to the popularity or if there is a recall or bad press on it.

JohnKSa

Administrator
If you want a gun to carry, pick the one that fits your carry/reliability requirements the best and make sure it's good quality from a reputable maker.

It should hold its value reasonably well, but more importantly, you will have it with you if you need it and it will work for you if you need to draw.

If you want to buy a gun as an investment, that's an entirely different requirement. I can't think of any firearm I would buy as an investment that I would want to carry. For one thing, most of them aren't really great options for carry. Second, anytime you carry a gun, you risk damaging it, or even losing it.

stinkeypete

ANYONE that loses a firearm should be horsewhipped. Exceptions made for police and military in extreme extreme circumstances.

JohnKSa

Administrator
I'm not talking about carelessness. If you need to actually use it, it could be confiscated. And there are other situations under which it could be lost to you.

IMO, you're working too hard to try to make this work and too hard to dismiss/discount anything that doesn't fit your preconceived notions of how this is going to work out for you.

Investments are investments--you choose them for their resale value and protect their condition so they won't lose value.

Items you buy to use are selected based on their utility and it's accepted that during their normal use they will accumulate wear--perhaps even be worn out, possibly be damaged, and maybe even be destroyed or lost.

The two things are rarely compatible.

Dan-O

At this point the best investment you can make is toilet paper.

Just buy a used glock and call it a day

tallball

"Of course if you can get a smoking deal on a nice condition used pistol of your choice that can minimize possible depreciation over time."

I agree. For instance, I got one of those surplus Beretta 81's for $199. It's in excellent condition. It will probably be worth more than that in ten years.

Any nice surplus handgun that you get in good shape is likely to increase in value once the supply dries up, IMHO.

seeker_two

I would recommend a 9mm 1911 or Browning (or FM or Tisas) Hi-Power. Those guns will grow moderately in value yet still be useful for your needs.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

MarkCO

Guns are tools, not financial investments.

There are a scant few guns whose value has risen faster than just a common mutual fund.

If you want a good 9mm handgun, Glocks and CZs are both really good choices that will last a long time.

Skans

I would agree with 2nd Gen S&W's. You can find them in 98% condition for $400. Lots of parts still out there, not that you'll need them. I've had my S&W 659 since the late 1980's. I would never sell it. It shoots everything, is reasonably accurate and has been 100% reliable. Never broke a part on it.

TBM900

Barring some sort of zombie apocalypse type panic, none of those will hold/appreciate in value, nor will any other similar modern pistol.

Me personally, I would take a Steyr L9 over any of those listed, and most everything you didn’t list.

AgedWarrior

A lot of different replies here. I would suggest finding the gun you like the best and go for it; enjoy it and maintain it and you will get reasonable return. I have turned a couple polymer guns after shooting them for a while and gotten very good return because I take good care of my firearms. My carry guns show holster wear after a fashion, but otherwise they too are well kept. I have done the same sort of things with some guns over the years as you; I buy em, shoot em, develop loads for em, and then sometimes sell them to buy something else I want to enjoy. I get my moneys worth and lots of fun.

Cheapshooter

"investment quality"
probably wouldn't be something that is way over priced to begin with, and needs the recoil spring changed with the regularity of the Charmin bear's underwear. Considering the OP is also interested in a useable firearm you have to wonder how much support owners get from Remington. At least Wolff carries the springs that are needed if you do spend some time on the range with it. Investment wise, it's probably not going to make much, but as a collector piece it probably won't go down either.

stinkeypete

"Rolls Royce Quality"...
A friend of mine has a rolls... and... any Toyota puts it to shame. Putting walnut on the dashboard is nice but doesn't make it more reliable.