I'm going to miss my Baby Eagle. (Need Recommendations)

Handy

Here YOU go:

Call Springfield Armory at 1-800-680-6866. I spoke to Terry, who said "Technically, it is a single action."

Don't believe everything you read. Especially when you can examine the pistol with your own eyes and brain.

Handy

And BTW, Will, the last IDPA rulebook listed the XD and HS in the ESP section, because it did not have some version of a DA trigger.

Seraph

Hey, guys, totally aside from the fact that Handy is right, this crap is not helping Wynterbourne at all.

mgdavis

How bout some version of the Berretta 92. 9mm, popular, lots of accesories, similar in size to a Baby Eagle, smaller versions available.

Wynterbourne

Hrmmm, I've got a lot of things to think about.

I spoke to the employer today, to narrow down his requirements, and what he will allow. This is his clarified list. He did suprise me when he said that there were no wheelguns allowed. He stated that the client doesn't like them because they're 'not that intimidating'. Personally, I'd like to see one stare down the barrel of a .500 Smith.

These are NOT in any specific order.

1 - Anything by Sig.

2 - Beretta 92 series.

3 - Anything by Glock.

4 - Springfield Armory XD.

5 - Any handgun patterned after the 1911.

6 - Walther or S&W P99. He stated that the client specifically stated that they like them because, and I quote, "James Bond uses one."

He stated that the company's personal preference was towards the Glock, followed by the XD, followed by the Sig. He was careful to say that it wasn't due to any issues with reliability or accuracy, but simply because he felt that they looked more 'official'.

He stated that he would consider other handguns on a 'case by case' basis. However, he stated that I would have to be able to find a Level-II Retention holster for it, it needed to have 15+ round magazines available (for the 9mm), and that it would need to be able to survive a '500 round' reliability test, straight out of the box.

This is turning out to be a bit of a hassle, but it's $225.00, after taxes, for 2 nights worth of work a week. I can't turn that down right now. Three months of this and I've paid off my legal bills, and can start to work on the rest.

I'm thinking, as much as I hate to say it, that I'm going to probably be looking at buying my first 'tupperware gun'.

Wynterbourne

If you can afford a new handgun then take a look at the SA-XD line.

I love the feel of the XD. The grip is the perfect size, the controls are well located, and magazines are HIGHLY inexpensive. I absolutely adore the grip safety, as well as the ambidextrous mag catch. But the sucker's only 25 oz and the bore axis is a bit high. What's the muzzle flip like?

Wynterbourne

There goes my P225

For some reason, the client has an 'enhanced erectile reaction' for 'High Capacity' weapons.

I have thought about the 226, but I don't really know. I've played with a 228 before, but it seemed just a tad fat.

On the plus side though, Sig's the only weapon that I've ever seen where slamming it against the wall fixed a failure to feed.

Wynterbourne

How bout some version of the Berretta 92

I've put a lot of thought into the 92 Vertec. I've played with one a few times, and they tend to fit well. But I'm just having a problem justifying an extra $150.00 for a flattened backstrap. I actually have the Vertec on my 'must own before I die' list, but I just don't know if I can afford it.

I wish they'd come out with that stinking PX4.

Wynterbourne

Glock 19.

Ok, I know a lot of people who like the Glock. I have to admit, I've considered them in the past, simply because they are so readily available, as well as extremely reliable. I've only seen one agency have a problem with Glocks, and this is the same agency that told a friend of mine that she should user he .45 instead of her .357 because the .357 overpenetrates.

I've grown up firing revolvers, as well as automatics that have a 1911 type grip angle. I've tried firing the Glock a few times, but it just doesn't feel natural to me. I just can't get it on target and keep it there.

Is this uncommon? Is it correctible?

Jart

I'd suspect there's a fair number of "tradable" 92's in the metroplex, but Vertecs have been few and far between. Is the standard 92 grip an issue?

A standard (as opposed to Vertec) 92 with the "heavy" slide (Brigadier?) seemed to me to have very low recoil, low bore axis, yadda. Would something like that be doable?

rdebert

This would be a tough nut for me to crack given the criteria.

1st...it might be possible to work a deal with a reputable dealer to hold your Baby Eagle as collateral as you make payments on a duty gun for this job. Or make a trade but get them to hold your Baby Eagle and let you make payments on the trade in amount they gave you (plus some extra) so you are in the process of buying it back. Has to be a reputable dealer and you need it in writing to protect yourself (save your receipts).

Might be possible to sell it to someone (friend or someone here) that will hold it for you so that when you can afford to..buy it back.

These options take time...if you don't have it...and by the time you can afford to get your BE back it has been sold...(well), buy another one. You gotta' do what ya' gotta' do.

Of the list that they provided they seem to want what is the most easily recognizable by anyone that has a TV. The "client" in particular. Though they are good choices. If buying new I would go with an XD but recommend the stainless slide if allowed. If buying used I would go with the Beretta 92FS...there are a lot of them out there so some wheeling and dealing might get you the best price point. Around this area there is no sense trying to buy a used Glock because they price them only a few dollars lower than a new one...no matter what their cost was for them...and they sell anyway...you mileage may vary.

Wynterbourne

Of the list that they provided they seem to want what is the most easily recognizable by anyone that has a TV. The "client" in particular.

I most definitely agree.

From what I understand it's an apartment complex that is owned by, well, let's just say an EXTREMELY liberally oriented (i.e. they had an unofficial 'no handguns on property' policy) company. The complex has slowly been populated with some low level drug dealers, a pair of hookers, and several wannabe 'Gang Bangers.' They wouldn't even allow pepper spray, until the manager was assaulted. The security officer on duty tried to intervene and got handed 3 cracked ribs for his effort.

Since then, they've wanted to keep an armed officer on site at all times. mostly to protect the management and maintenance personnel as they try to clean the place up.

Security accompanied the maintenance personnel upon a "maintenance inspection" of the property which resulted in 7 seperate evictions and 3 (I believe) arrests.

According to the site commander, they originally wanted nothing but Glock's. They managed to talk them into openning up the list somewhat.

1st...it might be possible to work a deal with a reputable dealer to hold your Baby Eagle as collateral as you make payments on a duty gun for this job.

I've been thinking about that. I've bought most of my firearms over the past several years at Bachman Pawn in Dallas. They're going to be at the Mesquite Gun Show this weekend. I'm hoping that since I've purchased my last 3 handguns from them, they might be willing to work me a deal.

Wynterbourne

The result...

Well, I actually decided to take another path for the site. I took the client shooting.

He'd never handled a weapon in his life. Three hundred rounds later, I get to use my Baby Eagle at his complex. :D

Additionally, I'm taking him to the Big Town Gun Show on the 8th of October. He had so much fun he's enrolling in an NRA training class, and is planning on purchasing his first handgun.

It was hilarious, watching the look on his face when he touched off that first round, the look of suprise turning into a grin that stretched ear to ear. Out of 300 rounds, I got to fire off 35, and that was just to show him the basics.

After the third magazine he looked me straight in the eye and said, "I'd always been told that nobody but the cops needed a gun, that they were dangerous to everyone around. This thing's not dangerous unless I make it be dangerous."

I nearly hugged him. Turns out the boy grew up in San Francisco, CA, and moved to Texas with his wife about 2 years ago.

SouthpawShootr

I'd go with a S&W 5900 series auto. CDNN has 'em cheap. These guns were very common police guns and there's accessories all over the place for them. Cheap mag, gunleather, even Hogue grips if the urge hits you.