I'm going to miss my Baby Eagle. (Need Recommendations)

Wynterbourne

It pains me to say this, and I do mean it REALLY pains me to say this, but I have to trade in my beloved Baby Eagle. Financial issues have required me to take a part time position as a Commissioned Security Officer to supplement my funds.

The company that I'm working for requires at least a Level-II Retention Holster. In addition, they don't know the Baby Eagle well enough to vouch for its effectiveness. As such, I have to get a new duty weapon. And because financial issues are the reason I'm getting the job, I can't afford to just go and pick up a new handgun. So it's time for a trade up.

The problem is, I got kind of spoiled with my Baby Eagle. It served as a duty weapon, was easily concealable, and has almost no recoil with most commonly available ammunition. So, put bluntly, I have no idea what in the Hades I should replace it with.

Here's what I'm looking at:

1 - It needs to be a 9mm. For medical reasons (which are slowly being resolved) I can't shoot a .40 or a .45.

2 - Needs to have readily available holsters and magazines.

3 - Needs to be somewhat concealable. (Keep in mind that I fall into the category of 'Slimness Challenged', also known as 'I'm A Fat Son-of-a-Gun Syndrom'.)

4 - Needs to have a profile more suited to small/medium hands.

So, what are the recommendations? I'm open to pretty much anything.

USP45usp

Wynterbourne,

I know that this will sound stupid, but have you at least $200 or so dollars? Borrow it?

If you can, look into the FM Hi-power. It is made in Argentina, on the equipment used to make the Belgium (I'm really destroying the spelling of other countries names :( ) Hi-power.

Now, it ain't a pretty gun (as in finish) but it's an exact copy of the original (since they go for over $1500 (or so I just saw in the gun shop but they could have been original originals).

Heck bud, if I were there I'd let you borrow mine so you could get the job and then when you got enough $$ to buy what you wanted you could give it back.

To get rid of a gun that you truly love, is hell man and you will always regret the decision (this said not to make you feel bad, just telling you the truth, been there, done that :( ).

Wayne

Henry Baker

Look at a Walther P99, or any Walther for that matter. My friends father has a PPK and it shoots very well, Very reliable, great trigger, very accurate, and readily available accessories. Of course this is just one idea, there are many others that would fit your needs. A factory certified pre-owned Sig may suit your financial needs better, and Sigs are great too.

Handy

A security job is going to require a common gun that is not SA. I'd pick up a used S&W. Very common police gun, and a good gun all around. A used 915 or 459 can cost no more than $250.

WillBrayjr

If you are on a budget police trade-in glocks maybe just the ticket. If you can afford a new handgun then take a look at the SA-XD line.

Handy

How is a single action gun with no retention holsters available going to be a good choice for a security guard who can't get them to accept a Baby Eagle?

Why not suggest Mateba and Korth? :eek:

Wynterbourne

How is a single action gun with no retention holsters available going to be a good choice for a security guard who can't get them to accept a Baby Eagle?

That's the funny thing. They're not too worried about it being DA. A number of their officers carry 1911's.

Personally, I do prefer Double Action though.

USP45usp

Handy,

I don't know if you are unaware of my post and what I was trying to say, or if you just don't care, I'm on the side of the latter.

I'm saying that Wynterbourne will be regratful that he sold his Baby Eagle, and that will cause him to sooner, or later, hate his decision. So therefore, we are trying to get him to buy another gun with cash/money/credit/borrow and keep the gun that he loves.

Have you a problem with that concept? I swear dude, sometimes you can really come off with the most sarcastic posts that I've ever seen.

(this is not just this thread, but many, many, many, and many others)

edited to Handy: It may just be a personality conflict between you and I. Maybe I'm taking your posts in the wrong light. I will endeaver to try not to read into your posts and keep on topic. Any thing that I may need clarification on I will use the PM function :).

Wayne

*if inappropriate, please delete.

Last edited:

Handy

I was referring to Will's suggestion of an XD, Wayne. You'll note I made a comparison to the Baby Eagle, as in: "if a Beagle, which has been around 15 years is too odd, how is the 4 year old XD going to ring any bells". The 70 year old BHP will probably be recognized.

I don't know where you'd get a retention holster for a Hipower in the states, but I'm sure there are some. But I certainly wasn't commenting on any part of your post. In fact, I also posted ideas for very inexpensive guns that would meet his needs, rather than pricey guns requiring he replace the Beagle. I didn't say that, because you already had.

[SARCASTIC POST] Why you always got to be the martyr, Wayne? ;) [/SARCASTIC POST]

If you actually want to chit-chat about my person, may I recommend the handy PM function? (Oh, that probably came off sarcastic, didn't it!? (Crap, that too!))

CarbineCaleb

Hmmm... how about a used Glock 17 or 34? Neither one is exactly tiny, but tiny and comfortable shooting rarely agree. The Glocks are slim (1.18") and so quite concealable, and are soft shooting for pistols of their weight (~26oz). Should get a nod of familiarity anywhere too.

max popenker

If you've loved CZ-75 clone, why not to go for the Real CZ-75? ;)

This is a very decent (to say the least ;)) combat handgun, and i bet it is widely recognized; it is 9mm, hicap, and very, very comfy...

And inexpensive, too.

Fremmer

How about buying a used .38/.357 revolver on the cheap so that you can keep the Baby Eagle? Would the revolver work with the holster requirement?

Seraph

Actually, Springfield Armory states that the XD has a "U.S.A" (Ultra Safety Assurance) trigger action. And, somehow, I find that hilarious this morning. :rolleyes:

Handy

Well, it isn't. And I'm sure any number of other people on this board can also tell you that, since it has been said many times, here. The striker is fully cocked, as you'll note from the "cocking indicator".

Would you like to post a link to where SA says it is DAO?

Seraph

Wynter', looks like CDNN investments has some good deals on Sig trade-ins. Might want to sell your Baby Eagle outright, locally, and use the proceeds to grab up a P226. I'm sure there are plenty of retention holsters for this very well-known pistol.