I'm finally getting a 1911

BIGR

Congratulations to you I hope it works out for you. I have never owned one myself and people tell me I ought to try one.

One day I am going to break down and try one and see what it is all about.

agtman

* * * I didn't want a decked out tacticool 1911 with this do dad and that do dad. I wanted one that had the look (or as close as I could get) to the original GI.

Well, congrats on that. You didn't succumb to the YouTuber fantasy of having to have one of those uber-tacticool must-have roscoes that all the officially Cool-Guys parade around with. :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong at all with a basic 1911 in G.I. trim - provided it's not a junker due to poor Q.C. Unfortunately, there are more than a few such out there.

So I decided on the Springfield Mil Spec. Yeah it has a few modern touches but to me it looks the part. Parkerized and all. It will be here next week * * *.

Good luck on that. Springers can be hit or miss.

Next time, as you get more into the 1911 game, take a look at the basic Colt models. Those are the ones with the animated Pony stamp. ;) Remember, every other make of 1911 is just a clone.

You can thank me later. :cool:

CDR_Glock

I went crazy and ended up getting 8. I downsized to 4.

Ed Brown Kobra Carry
Ed Brown Special Forces
Mars armament THUG on a Series 80 Colt 1911
Wilson CQB
Coonan 357 Magnum

Wait! That's five! Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FairWarning

After a lifetime of shooting, I only got my first 1911 (a Sig) 3 years ago! :eek: I had always admired them, but never got around to it.

It is a unique shooting experience, and they are very handsome for sure. I can easily see myself having several in the future, but I don't buy guns to look at. All of them will be shooters!

KyJim

I have to admit to being a 1911 fan and have purchased a number of 1911s over the years, including some high end ones. Yet, I have to admit I've purchased and enjoyed the more basic 1911s the last couple of years -- a Norinco and a CZ. They're fun to shoot. Congratulations!

rodfac

Great choice Deerslayer and a fine caliber too. Springfield has a sterling reputation, good customer service too. You're going to like the .45...if you're a handloader, it's one of the easiest of calibers to load and get great accuracy. So welcome to the 'big boys' club...the .45, undisputed king of self defense calibers and in the world's foremost handgun...(that ought to set off a fire storm or two!) Best Regards, Rod BTW: post some pics of your new beauty, and some range results as well.

IMTHDUKE

I really don't care for the 1911s. The're over rated and haven't been around long enough to prove themselves and their ugly.:D

deerslayer303

SO, all you guys "carry a 45, cause THEY DON'T MAKE A 46" :D:p I do reload. So the pistol will get a steady diet of hand loads. I hear the 45 acp likes my favorite pistol powder (Unique) so I'm good to go in the powder dept. Thanks for all the replies and pics, the 1911 sure is photogenic isn't she?

Last edited:

Nathan

You only need one -
GI MODEL
REAL GI MODEL
EARLY COMERCIAL
EARLY MATCH GUN
CURRENT IPSC MATCH GUN
CURRENT IPDA MATCH GUN
CURRENT CCW
BACKUP CCW
COLT
OK, ONE MORE COLT
COLT NATIONAL MATCH
CURRENT BULLSEYE GUN
....well, you get my drift, one of each.

rodfac

I do reload. So the pistol will get a steady diet of hand loads.
Here are some of mine:

My load for Missouri Bullet Co.'s 200 gr SWC's (seated to show about 1/32" of the lead shoulder) is 5.2 gr of Win 231 with Win Lg Pistol caps. Sub-2" gps from 25 yds with a Gold Cup, and both Ruger SR1911's (5" & CMD). The same bullet, same seating depth, with 5.1 gr of Unique does 1.5" at 28 yds. Good function with both loads, mild but superbly accurate. Never have chrono'd these.

With 230 gr FMJ's seated to 1.260" LOA & 6.4 gr of Unique with Win Lg Pistol Primers, gave me 825 fps and 2" gps from a Colt Combat Commander.

As always, these load appear safe in my guns, if interested, work up your own after consulting a GOOD reloading manual.

Best regards, Rod

rodfac

Beautiful piece there IMTHDUKE. I'm more of a checkered walnut grip guy but that's a great lookin' pistola. Does the bobbed tail make a difference in carry printing, do you think? I usually pack an Officer's Model sized Sig but with a square grip in a Tom Threepersons, open top rig but always wondered how the bob-tail would work out. That's my Ruger CMD in the rig with a pair of Son#1's grips on it.

Best Regards, Rod

SDF880

Didn't have any 3 years ago and now I have 6 :eek:

4 45's
1 9MM
1 10MM

Colt, Ruger, and RIA

I saved the best for last I guess!

Dufus

All but one of mine are Colts. The odd one is an inherited WWII model....Ithaca frame and Remington Rand slide. Parkerized and all. It is a shooter and will be passed down the line with the others.

agtman

All but one of mine are Colts. * * *

Same here. One of mine is "G.I. 1911A1" Springer from the early '90s.

Other than my 1915 and 1918 U.S. Colts, which are now very much collectors and investments, I run all my other 1911s hard.

That ranges from a Colt Marine M45A1 to a 3" Colt New Agent.

New Agent.

M45A1.

WW1 Colt 1911.

:cool:

Last edited:

osbornk

Just getting my first one. So many to choose from. I ended up with a Rock Island 1911 compact 3.5" barrel. Pick it up Monday. I have shot a few. I am sure you will like it.

I have the RIA full size Rock in 9mm. It has been dead reliable and the most accurate handgun I have ever had.

smee78

Congrats on the new addition, you better be careful because as every one is saying they can become addictive.