I'm finally getting a 1911

deerslayer303

After a very long time of putting it off I'm finally going to be the proud owner of my first 1911. Nothing says 'MERICA quite like a 1911 [emoji41]. I looked at I think ALL of them online from the bargain imports to the way too expensive for this family man. I didn't want a decked out tacticool 1911 with this do dad and that do dad. I wanted one that had the look (or as close as I could get) to the original GI. So I decided on the Springfield Mil Spec. Yeah it has a few modern touches but to me it looks the part. Parkerized and all. It will be here next week, I'm SO doggone excited [emoji2]. I did see a few vids where a few folks say the Springfield will bite ya. But I think I'll be ok with the size mits I have. The wife said now that you are getting "THE GUN" what's next? The only reply I could muster was, "uhhh, another 1911?" [emoji3] Any of you have this particular pistol?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RickB

I had a Mil-Spec .38 Super for a couple of years.
Good shooter, good quality all around.
I did bob the hammer a little, two or three serrations' worth, and softened the edges on the grip safety, which were quite sharp.
Other than that, good to go.

5whiskey

Welcome to the dark side friend. You will either not care for it so much, or no other pistol will ever feel the same and give quite the same degree of satisfaction.

jr24

Warning: One 1911 is not enough. Might as well buy 3 or 4 now to get it over with.

Ain't it the truth. A Springer Miles Spec is an excellent place to start. Have fun!

Model12Win

.38 Super is a real peach in the M1911 Browning. Far more power than any 9mm, increased mag capacity, and lessened recoil (usually) over a stiff .45 load.

lee n. field

After a very long time of putting it off I'm finally going to be the proud owner of my first 1911. Nothing says 'MERICA quite like a 1911 . I looked at I think ALL of them online from the bargain imports to the way too expensive for this family man. I didn't want a decked out tacticool 1911 with this do dad and that do dad. I wanted one that had the look (or as close as I could get) to the original GI. So I decided on the Springfield Mil Spec. Yeah it has a few modern touches but to me it looks the part. Parkerized and all. It will be here next week, I'm SO doggone excited . I did see a few vids where a few folks say the Springfield will bite ya. But I think I'll be ok with the size mits I have. The wife said now that you are getting "THE GUN" what's next? The only reply I could muster was, "uhhh, another 1911?" Any of you have this particular pistol?

You won't regret it, I think.

I got my first a couple years ago, after many years. Why did I wait? I don't know.

Springfield Mil Spec

For my first (and quite possibly last) I went with a Rock Island GI. I wanted to stick pretty close to the original spec, if possible.

"Nothing says 'MERICA!" quite like a 1911 made in the Philippines. :D

Hdonly

Just getting my first one. So many to choose from. I ended up with a Rock Island 1911 compact 3.5" barrel. Pick it up Monday. I have shot a few. I am sure you will like it.

g.willikers

For a more authentic GI version, look for a Springfield GI model.
They're no longer offered new but there's probably plenty of them around used.

damienph

OP, you've made a good start with your Mil-Spec. I don't have one but I do have a Springfield Armory GI and an Ultra Compact. I do plan on getting a Mil-Spec one of these days. 1911s are my favorite semi-autos, I also have a Kimber Custom, Colt Government and a Colt Commander.

Just cannot have too many.

deerslayer303

Thanks guys, I can't wait for it to get here. I've already got the ammo to feed it. Ive been buying 45acp because I knew I would one day have one. Lol.

crusader4x

I felt similar two years ago so I bought a Les Baer Custom Carry. The salesman told me I was spoiling myself buying that as a 1st 1911. Then last year I got a Sig Emperor Scorpion Carry and it's become my EDC in a IWB Alien Gear holster. Now I'm eyeballing a commander sized Ed Brown in 9mm.

Good luck buying just one!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Spats McGee

Administrator
Congratulations!

Let us know how she shoots after you've taken her to the range. Personally, I really like that old school, park'd look that the Springfield GI and Mil-Spec models have.

Targa

I have a 1991 Colt that I got a decent price on and I really like it but if I had it to do again I would have gone with the parkerized Springfield. I think you made a good choice, enjoy it. And yes, like mentioned it is addictive, stock up on ammo..:D

deerslayer303

Ya know what's weird? Originally I was gonna get a Colt like a series 70. My local small time FFL (read hardware store) told me that he could not order a Colt because he wasn't an authorized dealer. I thought in today's gun world any one could order anything.

WC145

You made a good choice with the Springfield Mil-Spec, I've had a couple of them. It's a good quality gun that's close enough to original with a few nice upgrades that save you from paying to have them done later. And, if you decide you want more gun down the road, it will make a great foundation for any kind of mods/build you can think of. CDNN has them right now for $599.