I'm done with Don Hume holsters.

fivepaknh

They Never have anything actually in stock regardless of what their website says. I have several handguns that I like to carry. They all have Don Hume H715 IWB holsters that have worked well for me and are priced right. I recently started buying some of their OWB holsters to give me a more comfortable mode of carry for the winter. They were also good holsters and reasonably priced. I just bought a XD40 sub-compact and I'm eager to make it my main carry. I call Don Hume to see if they had an IWB, OWB, and mag carrier I stock and none were. They said it would be four months before I received any of the items. This has been the case for the last few orders I made with them. I ended up ordering a couple of holsters from Desantis and they told my my items should be at my door within a week.

BarryLee

I do not think this is necessarily unique to one manufacture. A lot of holster manufacturers run anywhere from a few weeks to several months behind. When you think about it keeping a small number of every possible configuration in stock is probably pretty difficult for some companies.

fastbolt

I've ordered Hume holsters periodically for many years. They've seldom had what I ordered in-stock (especially if I was ordering half a dozen at the same time), and it wasn't uncommon for it to take anywhere from 4-8 weeks in order for them to be made and shipped.

They do have some dealers who regularly buy for retail inventory, though (which accounts for their lack of 'factory' inventory at times), so sometimes it might be possible to order from a dealer who stocks Hume holsters.

Although I've bought other models upon occasion, my preferred leather Hume holster has always been the H726. They stopped making them for revolvers many years ago, and they've made some minor changes in it over the years, at least one of which (snap base cover) I don't consider to exactly be an improvement (but it's easy to change).

I've always found them to be just a bit better than the off-the-shelf factory holsters like Safariland, DeSantis, Bianchi, etc.

fivepaknh

Once I get my holsters for my XD then I may try Don Hume again. The longest I've waited for one of their holsters in the past was two months. That's why I was a little surprised when the lady told me four months.

chewie146

Wow. Thank goodness you didn't order a custom BladeTech. That's a wait. I usually buy holsters from places like Midway. I've had some Humes, Galcos, etc. It's nice because I get what they have in stock. If you're looking for something ultra specific, it may be worth the wait.

AH.74

There are plenty of other places to order their products from, that usually have a good stock on hand. Gunners' Alley is one.

EdInk

I was going to suggest you try buying from a retailer. My LGS keeps a pretty good selection of Don Hume holsters in stock. Also, if you have the model
number (or even without) a google search will probably yield several sources.

Don Hume makes a pretty decent holster. They are IMHO priced very well. The shiny black finish doesn't hold up well BUT the holsters still work great.

Be patient or buy a Galco for triple the money. A month isn't really that long to wait for a holster from the manufacturer. Try to order an actual custom rig from somebody and THEN you'll learn about long waiting times.

If it was me, I would make do with the included plastic holster that came with the XD and get the holster you really wanted in a few weeks.

fivepaknh

I have no problem using a crappy holster and waiting for a good one to be made. I'm a lefty and the crap holster that came with it doesn't work. I found a couple of reasonably priced holsters at Desantis that I ordered. A Sof-Tuck and a Mini slide OWB. I have a Sof-Tuck for my Kahr K9 and it works well.

I keep reading about the Crossbreed holsters. I need to get one for one of my carry guns and try it. Are they better for large or small guns?

My first belt holster and belt were from Don Hume, in 1968-69. They made a rugged River Belt, sort of a police/Border Patrol Style duty belt, with a Bill Jordan type holster. The belt was 2 1/4" wide, and beautifully crafted. Perfect for field use, mine was made for a S&W Model 39. I wish they made similar rigs today, to the same quality. Sadly, trends have changed, along with customer wants, and the "River" style rigs are no longer made. My only Don Hume holsters are the JIT for a couple amall autos, and they are o.k., but mass production and marketing have changed things. Sorry about your experiences of late.

Laker

I have many Don Hume holsters. Check Gunners Alley, and even Ebay. I've picked them up at both places. When I've purchased direct from Hume, the four month wait was usually more like four to six weeks.

igousigloo

I think that most of the manufacturers mostly fill the orders of their wholesalers. If you want to find one in stock check the wholesalers. If you want to order from the manufacturer then wait your turn!

Dwight55

Not meaning to sound like the used car salesman in the plaid sport coat, . . . but have you tried looking around for a local leather crafter?

There are upwards of 25 to 30 of us scattered around the country, . . . and most of us can equal if not beat the big guy's prices.

You also get a hand crafted item, . . . not made in rice land, . . . it supports YOUR local economy, . . . and speaking for myself only, . . . I can almost always beat the big boys on time.

Many of us can be found on www.leatherworker.net

May God bless,
Dwight

9mmhpfan

I had the same thing happen years ago, I purchased a Partner Cross Draw for a 2 inch k frame smith and had to wait like 2 1/2 months for it to come in. I also purchased a inside the the waist band for the same 2 inch k frame smith and a belt slide holster and they shipped the same day I got them.

fivepaknh

Desantis got my OWB and IWB holsters here in about 3 days. Awesome. The XD40 SC is now my main carry until I'm bored with it. Then maybe I'll by a S&W M&P .45 compact. :D

Eagleks

They build in "lots" .... so if they sell out before they are making a holster style for that gun again... it may be awhile before they do another "lot". Or, they may wait until they get a certain number of orders before they do it too. Keeping inventory low while trying to keep up with demand, is a science unto itself... and even then, your wrong.