Im disapointed in the Savage 10T chamber

Longshot4

I have 30 single fireformed Lapua 6mm Creedmoor cases. I'm in the process of giving them a second light forming. So I want to have a tight chamber but it seems to be mighty loose. I sized the cases with a Redding type S Match die set using the Redding competition shell holders. They allow me to start .010 backed off of the shoulder. The bolt was loose before and after sizing. There was no sign of the shoulder being touched. Bolt closes with no resistance. Using the 0.010 shell holder I was expecting that the bolt would not accept the case. Although the cases were fired for the first time in the same Savage.

Is this a case of a oversize chamber? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bart B.

Compare the case headspace with a fired case to one resized with the .010" shellholder and the shellholder stopped against the die bottom.

What's the difference?

Longshot4

My once fired and sized Lapua cases go up into the die. The once fired Lapua cases that were not sized go up .520 short into the die.

So the case sides are being sized. when I compare side by side I cant tell any difference in shoulder. Although it should be no more than .010 bump.

I don't feel the bump ore resistance. Although booth are fired in same chamber.

So Lapua is suppose to be tuff brass. Perhaps it takes 2 charging's to get them to tighten up to chamber shoulder?

Last edited by a moderator:
Longshot,

If you don't have a commercial case comparator or an RCBS Precision Mic, take a spacer and caliper and compare the fired cases to your resized one. Your once-fired cases will have filled the chamber and then sprung back as much as a couple of thousandths. Firing them over and over by neck sizing-only, they will eventually get tighter and reflect your exact chamber dimensions better.

Also, compare a fired case to a factory new case (either an empty case or to a case on a loaded cartridge). Almost always, the new commercial cases are about 0.002-0.003" shorter than SAAMI minimum headspace. Add about 0.004" to that for a factory-new chamber that is maximum.

attachment.php

Finally, the Savage action uses a barrel jam nut to set how far the barrel screws into the receiver, making the headspace adjustable on the Savage action. You can get a vice block set and special wrenches for the different nut forms so you can loosen it, screw the barrel in deeper using a headspace GO gauge to limit how far, and thus correct the headspace and tighten the nut again. Most gunsmiths can do this, but you can also send the rifle to Savage to have them redo it, and they won't charge you for that on a new rifle.

Attachments

• poor man comparator.JPG
    poor man comparator.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 558

Marco Califo

I like Savage rifles, but, have noticed chamber variations. Neck size, consider seating longer. Have you tried backing out your FL sizing die?

Longshot4

I did pick up a poorman's spacer. Ill size it up and see what's going on. Backing off on the sizing die should be coming. Got to go and get er done.

Ill be back later. Thanks

Longshot4

Well I tried to find a spacer long enough to use with a bullet seated so I could measure shoulders. No such luck So I tried to use a 3/8 copper tube but I haven't the tooling to cut square enough for what I want it for. So I purchased 2 spacers and stacked them on the shoulders with the case spacers and calipers laying flat. I was able to wiggle the assembly to lowest readings.

My results are

I sized with Redding Type S MATCH Die, Redding .010 computation shell holder.

I measured from a Factory box Nosler loaded brass and once fired brass.
I also measured shoulders of Berger loaded rounds and once fired brass.
Also from a box of 100 new brass from Lapua I loaded and shot several rounds that I resized.

The measurements are the case with 2 spacers so I could measure with bullets. I continued using 2 spacers so as not to change tooling. For repeatability.

Live factory berger rounds with Lapua cases measured x3 at 2.808.
berger factory Lapua fired once. x3 at 2.810.
Nosler live Nosler cases. x3 at 2.810
Nosler from same box once fired. x3 at 2.810
Lapua from case of 100 sized but never assembled. 2.808
Lapua from case of 100 shot once and sized x3 at 2.810

The measuring was the best I was able to do with what I have.

It looks to me that 2.810 shows the size of the rifle chamber is equal to the die set with the .010 shell holder. So the chamber is cut to high end of spec.?

Longshot4

Do I understand this correctly? Using the Redding competition shell holder
.010 I am not able to bump my case shoulders back .002. Even though the .010 case holder is all ready holding the case out of the die .010. So since the fired cases and the sized cases shoulders don't change. If I want to bump the shoulders of the case I will need to place a .002" shim on top of the shell holder seat?

RC20

What you need to do is follow what Unclenick showed you and find out what the shoulder measurement is on a fired case.

You don't know if you have a loose chamber or not as you are moving it back an unknown amount, possibly even the .010 as labeled (which is no less than .006 way too much if true)

But you don't know until you measure.

That is what the Compactor tools are for. Cabellas or Dicks or will have them in stock. Low cost and they tell you all you need to know as to what do do or where to go.

If its not clear U Tube is your friend.

Charlie98

I have a 10T in .308, I don't really have any problems with mine... but I don't get all excited about brass measurements... yet.

As an aside, you might head over to SavageShooters forum... if there is a known problem with the Savage, those guys will know about it and how to address it.

Bart B.

Mr. Bart what do you think about post 9
I think you should measure case head to shoulder immediately after sizing, not after loading it.

If you measure several cases resized with the same die and shellholder, there's often a .002" or more spread in dimension. That's caused by different amounts and type of case lube on each case as well as how long the case is in full into the die before it's pulled out

RC20

As an aside, you might head over to SavageShooters forum... if there is a known problem with the Savage, those guys will know about it and how to address it.

There are very few on that site that are actually good.

There are a number who will throw a jerk opinion out as experts.

This is a better site and I can testify from having with a great deal of experience having built up 3 Savage rifles, worked with my brother on a couple more.

This is not a Savage issue, its a re-loader that does not get it and is ignoring what he is being told he needs to do first.

Until he puts the effort into understanding the real issue there is no helping him.

Longshot4

I have loaded up the cases for the second fireforming. I will be much more observant on the processes. This is the first time I have used the Redding competition case holders. Yes I understand there are other ways to make adjustments for The bump. The last time I did it was a couple years ago. It was with a .002 feeler gage trimmed and placed under the case. This .010 shell holder is throwing a monkey wrench into what I thought would be simplicity. Although since I was ordering equipment I threw a few tools in to speed things up. I'm trying to develop loads for the Savage between other things going on. I must be doing a poor job of communicating with some of the group.