I'm beginning to hate dillon 650 cause.......

donttellthewife

I don't think they are spending too much for the models they use, at least acorrding to my tastes.
I have two dillon 650s, both were heavily used when I purchased them. As soon as I got them I rebuilt them, I could have shipped them to dillon to have them do it for free but what a great way to get to know your press. Yes, there are things I would have done differently, spent primers being one of them and the primer chute for unused primers as well. I have seen a plastic hose connected to the platform instead of the spent primer cup. As for the primer chute I may make the side walls a bit taller so the primers don't fly off.

I have found that lubrication is the key to smooth operation and parts longevity. There is always some kind of lube between ANY two moving parts or between the press parts and components. Dry graphite powder goes anywhere and everywhere that I don't use a liquid lube

Graphite goes through out the powder measure, priming system, shell plate, casefeed plate and any cam. It is a bit messy but what a difference.

To keep things clean I use the attachments that came with a small shop vac for cleaning keyboards I never use air pressure to blow things off anymore

Over 600.00 on components last month, she knows, always has, always will. I have always known that I didn't get the " tell a lie with a straight face gene" so I never bother trying, makes this marriage thing work smoother anyways.

crowbeaner

Now after reading all of this I'm glad I sold the 650 I won. I'll stick with my old 450 and keep marveling at the nice accurate ammo it produces with every stroke of the op handle. The only plastic on it is the hopper for the powder measure, and the knob on the charge bar. CB.

clayking

I don't think they are spending too much for the models they use, at least acorrding to my tastes.

Well, I didn't say they were beauties:).

Taking a break from reloading and the saga continues. Just now for instance, I loaded about 300 rounds and noticed that the last pull or two had that slightly different feel to it, so I stopped to investigate. Sure enough, no primer seated, no primer ready for the next round. Take it apart and one is stuck in the primer tube, not sideways, not upside down, just stuck. Just frigging frustrating. Break time before I blow a casket. Murphy's law is reigning supreme this week-end.:eek: May just go get the Jack Daniels and be done with the Dillon for now:D.....................ck

snuffy

Clay-k, apologies for miss reading between the lines.

This thread has told me I should get a spare parts kit for my 650.

While I'm at it, I will order another complete primer feed assy. so I can change primer size without taking the primer feed all apart. It should save some time when changing from large to small.

I'll give Brian Enos a shout, he's always been on the ball for getting parts!:D

Oh, and please don't go back to loading till tomorrow if you DID find the jack daniels!:p

clayking

Snuffy,

No foul. no harm.

I've found the easiest way to save time in changeovers is not to change over often. I now reload 3-5000 rounds of each caliber before changing over. Luckily, I've got the brass to do it. In fact, I usually reload over a period of 2-3 months for a years supply of firepower.

Yea, I quit reloading and hit the Jack........feel much better now........ck

P.S. I poured out my box of reloads this afternoon on a towel to wipe them and lo and behold, amongst all the brass was the missing spring.:) This towel was at least 15 feet away from the scene of the crime and tucked away on the back of a shelf. What are the odds?

Don H

I have an older progressive press. The only plastic part is the ball on the end of the handle. This is a major reason why I have no interest in "upgrading".

Chief-7700

of plastic, small pieces, etc. etc.

It is true, the weakest link in any machine will shut one down for a penny part. There has got to be a better way to build one of these things.

Reloading today and all of a sudden it would not advance more than about 1/2 the way up......so I stop look around and see that the shell plate stopped just short of a complete turn. I let it down, unload and again would stop just short of a full turn. Then I notice the ring indexer hanging at a funny angle, I read down to grasp it and I have it in my hand, broken piece of plastic. I get the book out to find out to replace it, (I have the spare part kit which had one.....first clue)....now I can't get the stupid thing back on and I find at least another spring is missing and another part -- the indexer spring pin-- is gone and not even sure what it looks like, no doubt flew off when it broke. Somewhere in my garage hiding amongst the stuff.

For all the metal in this thing, why they put plastic parts in this thing is beyond me. Guess I'll drive up the place where I bought it and have him fix it.......piss me off. I'm no longer a fan of dillon, certainly not gonna brag on them anymore. I'm shut down all for a nickle part.....................ck

Then sell it on Junk Bay and buy a cheap LEE, stop complining you bought the best press with the best customer service on the market.
Chief

jmorris

The good thing is you’ve got a Dillon 650 and want something else, here is what to do. Send it back to Dillon and have them refurbish it (this was no charge when I did it and they paid for shipping back to me). Now go to almost any forum (brianenos.com) is probably the highest volume for Dillon stuff and you can sell your 650 for almost what it cost new. Take the money from that sale and buy the machine you want.

ocharry

you know back in the old days when i shot cowboy stuff,,, lots of guys were getting the 650 and there was a lot of bitchin about primer feed and rotating tables and all kinds of stuff

i am sure glad i bought the 550,, it has loaded i wouldn't begin to count the thousands of shells and it just keeps kickin them out

but then i have an old mec 650 that has loaded through the trap days and skeet years and sporting clays runs and it still just keeps kickin them out

to much automatic stuff and in my opinion it will get fowled or broken

hope you will give mike a chance and stick with the blue,, i know he will make it right

good luck clayking,,,, hope you get it fixed and running smooth again

by the way MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of you guys and gals out there

ocharry

kgpcr

Buy a hornady and never look back!! they are far and away a better value!! Easier to change over to another caliber and far cheaper. I have had several friends who now own a Hornady after selling thier Dillon