I'm beginning to hate dillon 650 cause.......

clayking

of plastic, small pieces, etc. etc.

It is true, the weakest link in any machine will shut one down for a penny part. There has got to be a better way to build one of these things.

Reloading today and all of a sudden it would not advance more than about 1/2 the way up......so I stop look around and see that the shell plate stopped just short of a complete turn. I let it down, unload and again would stop just short of a full turn. Then I notice the ring indexer hanging at a funny angle, I read down to grasp it and I have it in my hand, broken piece of plastic. I get the book out to find out to replace it, (I have the spare part kit which had one.....first clue)....now I can't get the stupid thing back on and I find at least another spring is missing and another part -- the indexer spring pin-- is gone and not even sure what it looks like, no doubt flew off when it broke. Somewhere in my garage hiding amongst the stuff.

For all the metal in this thing, why they put plastic parts in this thing is beyond me. Guess I'll drive up the place where I bought it and have him fix it.......piss me off. I'm no longer a fan of dillon, certainly not gonna brag on them anymore. I'm shut down all for a nickle part:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:.....................ck

animal

A Lee Loadmaster downed me over a little black POS part. Irritating, but plastic is everywhere now.

red-rider

Call Dillon tomorrow, they will put whatever part (s) you need in the mail ASAP. A few weeks ago, I lost the clamp on my powder measure (my fault), they sent one and would'nt let me pay for it.

Sport45

I feel your pain. Warranties are great, and no BS warranties are better. But you're still down while waiting on the part. Doesn't matter if it's a 5 cent piece of plastic or if the ram bent double... Downtime is the same either way.

The only work-around is to go out and buy another progresive press (in the flavor of your choice) so you'll have a ready spare.

(I tried this philosophy on my wife to try to get a LNL to go with my 550b. Didn't work...)

Hommbs

Parts fail. I loaded a lot of rounds on the 2 used Dillon 650 presses I had and never had that particular part break. It probably broke because something jammed the shellplate's movement. I would not be so disheartened over that.

clayking

I say again, the machine is no better than its weakest link, and there are too many on this machine......too many parts that I think could be avoided. I will consider a second machine, and it WILL NOT be a dillon. I've had MEC (4) shotgun loaders for over 15 years with not a single problem......................ck

snuffy

whine

Want some cheese with that whine?

Weak links are purposely put into machines to fail, rather than have another more expensive part get damaged. You did something wrong, forced something rather than investigate what was causing a hang-up. Been there, done that, got the T shirt!

Just last week, the shell plate on my 650 required a lot more force to turn. I had neglected emptying the decapped primer cup, it had backed up to the point of interfering with the bottom of the shell plate. IF I had forced it, I would most likely have an order in to dillon for replacement parts.

clayking

hey snuffy,

One, my wine is spelled like I just spelled it.

Weak parts are put into machines so that it can meet the needs of a cheap public.

Two, if you had taken the time to READ my post you would have seen where I met resistance and back off to investigate. Get over it, it's a plastic part, if it was metal, if I did indeed do something wrong, I would have met the same resistance and I would have still stopped. The metal would have not failed and I would have discovered whatever problem was causing it. Now, since the plastic part failed, I have no idea of what MIGHT have been wrong, if nothing else than a failed plastic part

And yea, I fixed it with the repair kit so I don't have to wait until MOnday morning to order parts, and wait for delivery. But of course I had to pay for the same cheap part twice...........................ck

ck,

I understand your frustrations regarding a complex machine to break down. Even more when a plastic part is used in areas that appear to benefit if it would be made of metal.

My thought (bear with me for I'm not too familiar with Dillon presses) is maybe they use plastic in some key areas because it's designed to fail/break. If made of metal, it may do more damage than to just the part. Just an idea...

Also, as much as I want to entice you to buy a Hornady (Mine's on order as we speak), I think you need to give Dillon a chance to redeem itself. There are products that have a no BS warranty that guarantees pieces of crap, but I think Dillon is the major exception here.

Dillon appears to be a well made press with shortcomings. However, I honestly think all presses have them.

Hope things get back to normal...

clayking

Tullle8,

It's that I'm a newcomer to this. I've owned this machine for going on 4 years, and this is not the first thing to happen which should not. For instance, there is a little spring designed to keep the brass in place as it goes from station 1 to 2. The spring is wedged in to keep it in place, if however, the screw schould loose and it comes out, you are shut down for a 10 for a penny spring. I find it hard to believe that there is not a better solution to that.

The machine is a good reloader and has served me well, however, I just feel for a few more bucks there could be some major inprovements to this machine that couild make it a outstanding reloader.

If I decided to get a backup or another machine, I will explore the alternatives seeking better..........................ck

Well, then, maybe you ARE ready for Red instead of Blue...:D

All kidding aside, I wanted to at least provide an objective viewpoint instead of spouting off "Get it over with and just buy a Hornady! (or Glock, or whatever product one thinks their poo doesn't stink here).

As far as a "few more bucks", the Hornady Lock 'N' Load has the bullet special going which really lowers the overall investment in the press...

donttellthewife

Guess I'll drive up the place where I bought it and have him fix it.

Unless you live near the dillon factory won't that dealer charge you to work on the press

is gone and not even sure what it looks like, no doubt flew off when it broke

I found that the parts list and diagram online or the one supplied with the press made it easy to identify all the parts missing or not.

It's that I'm a newcomer to this. I've owned this machine for going on 4 years, and this is not the first thing to happen which should not. For instance, there is a little spring designed to keep the brass in place as it goes from station 1 to 2. The spring is wedged in to keep it in place, if however, the screw schould loose and it comes out, you are shut down for a 10 for a penny spring.

Not sure what you mean? Did the spring actually come out or was this a hypothetical scenario.

How many rounds and what calibers have you loaded in 4 years.
How much have you spent in repair parts.
How much time have you spent repairing the press, not including waiting for parts.
How much do you want to sell it for ( it's resell value )

If you have loaded 60,000 rounds in the last 4 years, spent 0 on parts, 2 hours on repairs, and can resell the press for a difference of 20 % of the original cost your doing fine.
Put in your numbers and see if your happy or not

Figure out your cost benefit from the whole picture over the life of the press, not just small irritants.

All companies have to balance between failure rates and making their products to expensive to market them, otherwise we would all be driving indestructible vehicles

clayking

don'ttellthewife,

First off, love your name.:)

I tell mind, or at least, don't make a secret out of it. She has a job and so do I, and we both have a 'free" spending account. Mine mostly goes for projecting projectiles of some sort, including cue balls.

Ok, first off, my dealer, about 40 miles away, where I bought the machine, where I buy all of my loading supplies, did it for nothing. Of course, while I was there, I spent another $300 on supplies, bullets, primers, etc. etc.

I found that the parts list and diagram online or the one supplied with the press made it easy to identify all the parts missing or not.

Yea, I knew what it looked like, but was impossible to find. I did have a parts kits which had a spare. I thought, according to the picture, that there was another part missing, but it wasn't. It was a good excuse to go buy some more stuff.

Not sure what you mean? Did the spring actually come out or was this a hypothetical scenario.

Oh, it came out. That's when I bought the spare parts kit in the first place.

How many rounds and what calibers have you loaded in 4 years.
How much have you spent in repair parts.
How much time have you spent repairing the press, not including waiting for parts.
How much do you want to sell it for ( it's resell value )

Good questions. 5 calibers, lost number count long ago, actually little money in spare parts other than the repair kit, $20 I think, Dillon does replace. Time is the real issue, lost time waiting for parts, time to repair. As for now, not for sale, too much invested in this one, too much time to set up a new one. Besides, after four years, I don't think that there is anything left that I haven't taken apart to adjust or repair. When something is not right during reloading, I almost know what it is from experience, would have to relearn that on another machine.

From what I've seen the Hornady might be a little better in some ways, but not enough to change over. As I go along, I keep adding more Dillon die set-ups, two for .45 ACP, one for auto, one for revolver. Two Dillon die set-ups for the 38/357 reloading, etc, etc. Strong mounts, bullet trays, case loaders, extra primer tubes.....you know the drill. Even considering the auto primer system.

Guess what I would like is a machine to be offered that has the best of all the dealers. I've heard some say that the Dillon is a snap to change from small to large calibers, not exactly the word I would describe it with. If that were the case, then why do so many have multiple machines set up, or multiple powder stations etc. etc. The lee appears to have a huge advantage over Dillon in that regard. While on my hands and knees looking for that spring in my all too full garage, I found dozens and dozens of spent primers on the floor (and I sweep quite often), surely, it is not a difficult engineering feat to design a nearly perfect collection system of them. Heck, I can think of several ways myself.

Don't get me wrong, yes, I've enjoyed my reloading experience with Dillon, and yes, perhaps I am irritated with a plastic piece breaking in the middle of a reloading session...............but, and I will say it again, this machine could be better engineered to offer less complication in many factors. It would seem to me, that since this is not sold in the local wal-mart or many local dealers that they could more than save the cost of the lifetime warranty with a better machine. I would rather that they put the effort in that than paying some model for her picture on the Dillon magazine each month............................ck

jdmick

It's nice to know Lee isn't the only one putting cheap plastic parts on otherwise well built presses. I'm only buying the "fuse" theory to a point. Their fuses equate to about a 5 amp fuse or breaker in a 20 amp circuit.

shepherddogs

Since you have the Dillon I wouldn't trash it. They're supposedly the best. The CS is also suppose to be great. But, if you ever decide to buy another press, I can highly recommend the Hornady LNL. Mine took a couple hours to figure out, but after that it's been nothing short of perfect.:)