I'm all for teaching kids how to shoot, but

115grfmj

yeah......

Just a little bit younger than I'd ever teach my three kids:eek: . Probably needs to be able to understand the concept of danger first:( , Really understand it!!! Also being able to actually hold the firearm would be good.

bartonkj

I wouldn't start them out that young - but hey, maybe the kid asked to do it - in which case I can perfectly understand the father's actions. My philosophy is to not let kids have any unsatisfied curiosity about firearms. The more unstaisfied curiosity they have the more likely they are to get into trouble. If they want to see a gun or learn about it then show them. When I was a kid (although much older than the kid in that video) my step-father said he would take me shooting sometime. He never did. All that did was pique my curiosity and make me more interested in guns. He kept a loaded .38 chief's special under the bed that they didn't think I knew about - obviousely I couldn't rely on my step-father to satisfy my curiosity about guns 'cause he never follwed through and actually took me shooting. Therefore, I had to satisfy my own curiosity by playing with the loaded revolver. I was old enough to understand how dangerous guns are and I was very careful so luckily nothing happened. However, if he would have taken the time to make sure my curiosity was satisfied, and if he would have let me see his guns any time I asked - I wouldn't have played with that revolver.

springmom

ONly problem is no eye protection. Of course, shooting glasses for a two year old may be hard to come by.

Otherwise, good for them. The kid's not scared, he's having fun, dad's being safe (other than the eye protection). What's the problem?

Springmom

joshua

No eye protection for both dad and son, and looks like no ear protection for dad. That's all... Like most said, I wouldn't start my kids that young, but hey different strokes for different folks. josh

springmom

I thought maybe that was a .22, which isn't so loud as to worry about (and of course, he gave his "ears" to his baby...good daddy). But maybe not.....

It DID look like the child was having a good time with daddy, though, didn't it??? :D

Springmom

Majic

I thought maybe that was a .22, which isn't so loud as to worry about
Maybe you need to rethink that statement. The report from a .22 rimfire can most definitely cause hearing damage.

applesauce

This is too early in my opinion because I doubt the child can comprehend how much this could damage or hurt somebody.

Just sitting him down in front of the TV with the remote and chances are likely he'll see at least one person get shot somewhere before he gets done watching. Doubtful he could ever get access to a gun in a proper home but in a worst case scenario when he's a little older and can lift the gun but may still not know the reprocusions of his actions he could kill somebody

I would definitely wait a little longer to teach my kids how to shoot but not wait on teaching them the dangers.

JimJD

Egads! No eye protection on the little one or his dad!

Someday, if I have a son and/or daughter, I'd love to teach them.
But in My opinion, the child appears to be too young.

With that said, the little shooter's reaction to the first shot was great.

Dad: "Look down the sight... pull the trigger"

Bang!

Child: "Oooooooo!"

:D

Edward429451

That baby doesn't look more than 18 months. My kids were at least a full year older before they shot pistols.:D

With young youngs we must keep in mind that their little arms are not as long as ours, so even .22's puts that bang real close to them so ear & eye protection is a must.

Aside from the lack of eye protection I see nothing wrong with this. Next time he needs to set the kid up with a 1911, though.

.22s are for wimps and the kid needs to learn this fact as soon a possible :)

Rangefinder

No point in covering the eye protection thing again... I'm just glad to see a dad taking his kid out and doing this kind of thing. Kudos on that one. My son started coming shooting with me when he was about 3 and loved every moment of it. I'm of the firm belief that if you give them the oportunity to experience and understand what a gun IS, it removes all the mystique and curiosity that could lead them to want to find out under the wrong circumstances.I've never had to lock up my weapons as my son grew up. I still do, but it's theft prevention. My son knows exactly how to get into the gun locker, he knows where all the HD guns are, where all the ammo is for each one, and how to use everything I own very well.

joshua

I just want to make it clear that I am all for teaching kids gun safety and how to shoot. I'd like to see my kids (or at least one of them) to be a superstar shooter in the USPSA world. At first when I watched this video I was oooing and ahhhing, then I realize the missing safety equipment. My uncle who out of all people have the worst luck with guns was very lucky in not losing his eyesight due to case head failure or something similar. It happened to his 30-30 and a weird incident where he had irritation in his eye that turned worst. He ended up going to the doctor after about one week of eye redness and "something in my eye won't flush out". It was a very small piece of metal more than likely a piece of brass. The only firearm he was shooting a week ago was his favorite Ruger 22 pistol. I'd like to keep the kids as safe as possible when shooting so they can grow up and enjoy the sport in hunting, competition or just plain hobby. josh

I think one of the ejected brass ended up hitting mommy too.

saypek

Well dad just want to pass his gun enthusiasm to his very young son. Nothing wrong with that. What I find wrong is the "hairdo" thing that he also passed on to junior. :D :D

joshua

Saypek, oh you just had to cross that line! LOL! Hey I myself is getting there if not there yet. Still a bit of denial, hey but what the heck, I had fun using the hair I had and the head I'm getting now. :D LOL! josh

WSM MAGNUM

There`s nothing wrong with that! His Dad is in control of the gun. That`s teaching the kid to not be afraid of guns when he gets older. Then teach more about safety as he develops. I agree he should have eye protection on the child.

tipoc

Next year my daughter will be 30. I took her with me shooting when she was old enough to understand that you don't walk away from your father in dangerous places like parking lots. It was also after she had learned to ride a bike. I started teaching her about gun safety about the time I taught her that fire burns, water drowns, etc.The first things I taught her was not to touch a gun unless I was around. I followed Eddie Eagles advice. If y'all don't know who Eddie Eagle is than I encourage you to find out from the NRA.

It was a few years later that I let her hold a gun. There was a fairly long list of things she had to learn to be responsible for before I taught her how to shoot. We both wore hearing and eye protection cuz that's part of the deal for responsible shooters.

I figure before I encourage someone to play with guns they ought to at least have learned not to crap their pants and how to walk in a straight line without falling down among other things.

My daughters 29 and lives in Brooklyn N.Y., where she's made a succesfull career for herself. In a town that can be scary, any time of the day or night, shes one of the scariest things walking. You wouldn't know it to look at her. She carries two blades. Before I introduced her to them she had been buttering her own bread for quite some time.

tipoc