If you had to choose- buy primers or powder?

veprdude

Varget and 4064 are what I got. I wanted 4895 but couldn't find it where I was looking. I also wanted a powder to reload 30-06 for M1 Garand and maybe match 223 in 77gr. Based on quick research I should be able to accomplish match 308, match 223 and 30-06 M1 loads between the 2. Not looking for record breaking stuff, just a load equal or better than Federal GMM in 308.

stagpanther

Definitely buy large rifle primers before even food, and if you're worried about being overstocked with them just send them to me. That's the advice I give everyone.

ligonierbill

I have been using Ginex LR primers for a number of rounds for the last year. Depending on the case, they are either no problem or prone to a few high primers. I'm using a RCBS standalone priming station, so I can apply a fair amount of force. Seated properly, they work fine, but I probably will not order more.

Regarding prices, I look at it like gasoline. Sure hate the price, but it is what it is. A dime a primer is outrageous for sure, but it's still the cheapest part of a load.

Nick_C_S

The question borders on the rhetorical.

Primers. Of course.

In times of shortage, primers are almost always the primary (no pun intended) component of shortage. During the great shortage of 2013 (and beyond), powder seemed to be particularly difficult to find; but still, not as much as primers.

Mike / Tx

For me, if you can find LR primers, buy them. Around the H-town area they have been non existence, and when found are limited to one or two sleeves at most.

Powders for a 308 have been available from one or another site and even shelved at local shops. They might not be Varget or 8208, but there have been plenty that will load accurate useful ammo. I have also been working with some of the Shooters World powder which are showing good accuracy and velocities as well.

Bottom line is it all starts with a primer of sorts. Luckily 308 cases come in both large and small primed cases, pick one and go for it.

hooligan1

Primers and Particular powders are still hard to find, although I was at my local Cabelas last week and they had several 8 lb containers and may 1lb containers of popular powders as well as Small rifle primers.. Zero large rifle..
It is my opinion that it may level back out if nothing drastic changes it...

darkgael

Primers. Loading .308 or most other cf rifle cartridges, there are lots of powders that will work. There is only one type of primer for them.
Loading .223, in a pinch one can use SPP magnum if out of SRP.

Metal god

AB is spot on , Primers primers primers . There's aways "A" powder out there that will work but when LR primers are out of stock , you are out of luck . I have at least 5k primers of each type I use which is most of them and 10k+ of a couple of them and I'm stressed I don't have enough . Why stressed with "so many" ? Because I've not bought primers in 4+ years thinking the prices would come down . I was thinking they would come back and level off at about $60 a brick , now I'm thinking $70 or $80 . I like to shoot and don't like having any primer stock below 5k which is about to happen :-( . Looks like I'll be spending $100 a brick soon .

Anyone think the new order I heard that the LC ammo plant can't sell to commercial markets will increase availability on some primers and bring down the prices a bit . I think I can wait a bit longer before buying but not much more then a year I think .

rc

MetalGod, I was like you about 10 years ago but slowly used up most of my primers. The last ones I found reasonably priced were Remington 7.5s for about $35/1000 and when I scooped up 8 cartons thinking I was over buying it turned out to be a good decision. Now those are finding their way into 38 super and 9mm as a substitute for small pistol primers I'm saving for other calibers that absolutely need them to be soft. Can't go the other way using pistol primers in rifle but small rifle will work in rifle, small pistol magnum and small pistol loads if the mainsprings are strong enough. Unfortunately I can't use my extra large rifle primers in Large Pistol. That substitution doesn't work.

RC20

Its really not one or the other. If they have primers of course, get them.

But if they have primers and powders? Get them both of course.

You can see from a reloading book what various powders work in a given caliber and then grab powders as you see them (or have them shipped as you did)

After the last powder shortage I swore I would keep plenty of both in hand and as they come back, stock up on the primers and buy the powder you like best in 8 lb jugs.

I don't like to do that, but target shooting is one of my main recreations and I don't want to be in the pits again.

MG,

The LC plant has not canceled commercial orders or stopped producing for commercial sale. That turned out to be an Internet rumor. LC posted the correction on their Facebook page.

Depends on the powder...the last thing I bought was a 1000 CCI BR4 primers, but I'd have jumped first on a lb or 3 of IMR8082 if I saw it. Haven't seen a bottle for nearly 4 years now.

rc

I've been looking for primers since this thread cropped up because I know I'm getting low but the prices seem to be $80 or more per 1000 in most places for Winchester and Remington and CCI. I see Aguila for about $77 a brick and a few off brands for just a little less. Anybody find primers for under $50 in the last year?

snoeproe

It’s not much of a choice for me. The powders I use are all easily available today. Large rifle primers, not so available today.

ciwsguy

Has anyone been watching the news lately?

I generally haven't trusted what the Gov't or its mass media has been reporting for the past four years, but with two high ammunition consumption events are ongoing with no end in sight (Ukraine and Israel/Gaza). Vista outdoors recently announced price increases and gun powder is the current shortage item world-wide.
Powder is what I would buy today, but primers are the other 1/2 of successful reloading. So buy both.
LR primers have been in short supply for some time. SP, LP and SR are easy to obtain today, but buy them when you see them.
Prices on both are NOT going down anytime soon and when they do go down, it won't be by much due to inflation.

Marco Califo

If you understood the market you would have plenty of both on hand. If you ran out you are screwed. One without the other is useless. If what you need is not available you won't be buying that, will you?
Look on the bright side: Taters are on sale this week!