If You Could Not Carry Hollow Points

FLA2760

A good friend of mine recently moved to NJ. When we were talking recently he told me that hollowpoint ammuntion is illegal in NJ. I am not sure if it is illegal or not but he asked me what he should keep in his S&W model 10. He keeps the .38 for home protection. I said I would get back to him. So if you could not use hollowpoints what would you choose? Besides moving out of NJ.:D

lockedcj7

I don't know if there are any polymer-tipped pistol rounds like you can find for muzzle-loaders that that would be ideal.

In lieu of that, I would probably opt for the hottest and softest SWC's that I could find.

swmike

A time proven load for the .38 Spl before JHP's became popular was the old fashioned wad-cutter. Just a flat faced bullet without any "sex appeal". For close range it did the job. If you can't find them on the shelf anywhere, a semi-wadcutter is next best.

As for living in NJ, I would have to have an excellent reason to do so. Something in the income level of Donald Trump or Bill Gates might be enough for me to consider it.

waynedm

I carry FMJ. I don't think there is such thing as overpenetration. I'm not worried about if it leaves the body because about 80% of the rounds fired in a gun fight miss anyway and there's TONS of emphasis on the bullet that MAY end up going through and through.

I'm also of the opinion that the ammo manufacturers love this hollow point infatuation because they're selling you rounds for up and over $1 a piece and people eat them up. How could they not love that? It's like paying $6 for coffee at Startbucks.

Anon

Federal Nyclad

Or Federal Expanding Full-Metal-Jacketed

Image703.jpg

EFMJside.JPG

Doug.38PR

38 Spl. 158 gr. LRN and pray he goes down or .38 Spl.+P LSWC and pray he does down. Neither of them expands like a Hollow Point, but better than FMJ.....on the other hand, what you have there looks good Anon

BikerRN

If I had to carry in NJ I would look at something like Glaser Safety Slugs or switch to a .45 acp.

There are newer and better non-HP rounds out there, I'm just not familiar with them. I know that as far as "Ball" ammo goes, the .45 acp is about the best out there and would grudgingly trust it.

I thank God I don't have to deal with silly crap like that and load up all my handguns with Hollow Points.

Biker

BillCA

Don't buy a Round nose lead (RNL) bullet for the .38.

Instead, look for a 158gr lead semi-wadcutter or jacketed SWC.

Such as;
Remington R38S14 158 gr LSWC (890 fps)
Winchester X38WCPSV 158 gr LSWC (755 fps)

Unfortunately, Federal doesn't list a .38 Special version of it's expanding FMJ (EFMJ) round on their website.

obiwan1

All above are great suggestions. First I'd find out if that EFMJ is legal. What about the Pow R Ball round? If not, go with Glasers (if legal) or full wadcutter. Or........ buy a .44 and use wadcutters. A Charter with wadcutters would be a small, light, powerful package. Boy, I'm glad i'm in Florida!:D

Mark54g

OK, the truth of the matter is this. Hollow points are NOT illegal in NJ. I own them, called the "staties" and they agreed, even have a webpage up about it.

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_hollow.html

If you can get a carry permit in NJ (good luck) you will not be allowed to carry hollow points, as they are not for sporting purposes. Hollow points are permitted for the use in the home or business, or for sporting events, including practice for events, etc.

You can keep them in your gun for home defense. However, should a criminal be found to have been using hollowpoints, or even had them in his gun, then a secondary crime will have been committed.

Clear as mud yet?

cheygriz

If I couldn't carry hollow points, I would go back to a revolver and carry full wadcutters. Probablt a .45 Colt, and 230 GR full wadcutters.

I wouldn't carry round nose FMJ, regardless of caliber

Dogjaw

In that case.........

A good friend of mine recently moved to NJ. When we were talking recently he told me that hollowpoint ammuntion is illegal in NJ. I am not sure if it is illegal or not but he asked me what he should keep in his S&W model 10. He keeps the .38 for home protection. I said I would get back to him. So if you could not use hollowpoints what would you choose? Besides moving out of NJ.
12 ga. double barrel coach gun (short barrels) with reduced recoil 00 Buckshot.

NCHornet

Many have probably never shot this round but some of us older guys will remember the Hollow Base Wad Cutter. I load these with bullseye and they are awesome target rounds, you should see how they expand if you load them backwards!! I know I wouldn't want to get hit with one. That is what I would carry if JHP were a no, no. But the above poster has cleared it up for you on the actual law. For the life of me I can't figure out where these laws come from. Totally crazy and that is one state I would never live in.

fattsgalore

I'd get some form of specialty bullet. Anything that isn't defined as a HP. Maybe those MagSafe fragment bullets or something along those lines.

hpg

Put the round where it counts, it's called shot placement. Doesn't matter if it's a hollow point or soft point........hpg

Wildalaska

Many have probably never shot this round but some of us older guys will remember the Hollow Base Wad Cutter. I load these with bullseye and they are awesome target rounds, you should see how they expand if you load them backwards!!

Old cop I knew popped a shot a perp with one of those, perp got away but the cop found his nipple on the floor :)

WildouchAlaska

Mark54g

While I understand the intent of this thread, I do believe that reason for it has been addressed. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but please tell your friend he can use hollowpoint ammo without fear.