If you could make your perfect handgun what would it be?

mrt949

For me a alloy frame 4" at least 10+ round striker fired varied caliber .
32,380, 9mm 40 sw
Revolver 8 round 3" 9mm ,357 single cylinder .

stinkeypete

My Ruger Single Six goes to Hamilton Bowen to be converted to a 7 shot .327 Fed Mag. with .32-20 conversion cylinder. Not that I would shoot above subsonic but it’s nice to know you can load as hot as you would ever want.

Barrel markings removed. Custom deep bluing, blue nitred screws, Roy Fishpaw grips (something beautiful), Bowen adj. sights, tuned, trigger job, line bored... did I forget anything?.?

RickB

For what purpose?
For a carry gun, I'd like the SIG P938 extended 1/2"-5/8" in both barrel length and butt length.

Jim Watson

Just give me a couple of cases of ammo and a play date on bac1023's rug and I bet I could find something to suit me.

Mike38

I want a Ruger MkII 5.5 inch heavy barreled target chambered in .32acp that will reliably shoot "bunny fart" loads. I even e-mailed Ruger about it years ago. Their reply was basically thanks, but no.

rep1954

Ruger MKIV aluminum lower with Volquartsen upgrade kit along with their extended bolt stop and magazine release. Keep the cheap black plastic grips.
A Tactical Solutions 6” PacLite barrel having a green fiber optic front sight, white
outline Ruger rear sight blade and a picitinney rail. OOP’s I already built this. Guess I’m done. Never mind.

JohnKSa

Administrator
An interesting question.

I can't think of what a "perfect" handgun would be because I want different handguns to do different things.

I think the best I could do would be to suggest a few changes to handguns that I think are already pretty good.

For example: Changing the CZ-75 barrel lockup to a SIG style instead of the Browning barrel lug/machined slide arrangement.

dyl

For example: Changing the CZ-75 barrel lockup to a SIG style instead of the Browning barrel lug/machined slide arrangement.

What would that do? Better lockup? easier production?

For pocket carry, my perfect pocket pistol would be:
Same size barrel and slide as a Kahr CM9, but wider grip with an oval cross-section, and higher capacity mag rather than the current single stack. Change the double action to striker fired (may or may not be a good idea).

I currently have a rubber grip on it so that the palm of my support hand can actually make contact with the grip. Otherwise with such a thin grip it's effectively 1 hand on the gun, and the support hand is squeezing on the firing hand which makes for mushier recoil control rather than both hands directly on the gun.

JohnKSa

Administrator
Easier/less expensive production, likely more consistent lockup and therefore potentially better accuracy, probably more tolerant of dirt/fouling.

Lots of likely/potential/possible benefits, but obviously CZ is doing it right as there aren't really complaints about any of the things mentioned. Mostly it's just a simpler system.

Geezerbiker

An M1911 with a ramped barrel and a titanium frame... Since I can't afford that, I'll stick with the steel framed one I have.

Wen it comes to revolvers, I think the Ruger Super Blackhawk and the S&W Model 28 I have are pretty close to perfect as is...

Tony

Nathan

Basically a Dan Wesson Vigil CCO 9mm, but:
-frame shortened line emp frame
-frame made from titanium
- FR cocking serrations
- flat top serrated
- 10rd mags and 8rd mags
- 9mm 4.25” bull barrel ramped.