If you could do it all over...?

Willie D

If you could hit the "reset" button and begin your involvement with firearms anew, what would you do differently or do again? What would you do training wise? What would you buy or not buy?

I'd redo the overly conservative safety regime I learned from camp and my grandfather.

I'd get into revolvers sooner.

I'd probably buy fewer rifles in favor of more tack drivers. (Which would mean probably mean 'bye bye' milsurps.) At this point I'd rather be wrestling with my own skills/lack thereof than a rifle's accuracy.

What about you?

I'll bet "buy more cheap ammo" will be popular...

kraigwy

My biggest mistakes was in selling or trading some of the guns I sold or or traded.

If I had it to do over again, I would never sell or trade a firearm.

ritepath

Back in the 80's and 90's I bought and sold lot's of different firearms. I wish I had most if not everyone of them today.

Who'd ah thought blackhawks, S&W revolvers, and contenders would be worth so much.

Slopemeno

Fewer, higher quality guns. Fewer projects.

Wish I had kept that '03-A3 C-grip that I picked up for $125.00....

I wish I had bought a really high quality bolt action .22 back then.

SIGSHR

I regret most of the ones I have sold or traded off.
I did not become a truly proficient pistol shot until I practiced Bullseye on apistol team in college, so I would have bought more 22 handguns.

shootniron

I would keep the "way too many" guns that I sold and traded way for no reason other than it was fun to swap, trade and sell.

jimbob86

If I could have changed anything?

I'd have convinced my dad to buy 10 grand worth of machine guns in 1984, instead of that stupid Chrysler New Yorker.....

Wyoredman

I would have kept that cheap 1984 Model 70 my dad bought me, instead of selling it for $150.00. Man i wish I had that gun to give to my daughter.:mad:

Secondly, I would have started buying guns eairlier in life.

Buzzcook

Not taken up drinking drugs and smoking. Skipped the first wife and started with the second.
Started with a 6.5x55 Swede and learned how to reload sooner.
Bought all those cheap surplus 1911s instead of just the one.

Don P

Start the buying/collecting at a much younger age and stayed with it all along. Boy what a mass of firearms I would have now.

johnbt

Instead of the .22WMR/.410 Savage I talked my father into buying me for Christmas of 1960, I would have asked for a nice 28 ga. O/U.

:D

And a couple of years later I would have skipped the 12 ga. Fox Model B altogether and simply gotten a Model 12 20 ga. like my father's.

Live and learn.

horseman308

I would have actually bought a few more guns instead of wasting money on eating out and stuff while I was in college. I had a really good job that paid well while I was in school, but I didn't save much of it. :mad:

Navy joe

I would have gone into NFA stuff sooner. By age I was late to the game, but still, when I had wads of cash it was all about 40% of the going rate now. I also did not reload for the first 4 years I was heavy into guns.

If this crystal ball works for everything I'd go back to late 1999, the time I seriously got into guns. First, I would have doubled my re-enlistment and doubled the bonus to 50K, then I would have taken a rather nice chunk of cash I already had and bought all the gold I could when it was $300/oz. Then I would have sold it pre-election and re-invested in brass, primers, and ammo. Then I would have sold most of that. :D

briandg

I wish I had basically told my parents to kiss my butt and dove fully into the hobbie, inspite if them discouraging me.

I wish that I had not walked away from so many magnificent things that I wanted so badly, and instead packed money into a retirement fund and other purposes.

Off hand, I can think of about $2,000 in firearms that I regret not buying, over and over. What difference, at this point in life, did those decisions make? I have regrets and lost opportunity, and lack the satisfaction of a life better lived.