...if...cleaning takes more than 10 to 15 minutes...

Husqvarna

I think the implied message is that one does not need the military's fanaticism about cleaning to keep one's gun running.

I have two rifles I take with me into the shower just like we did in the military:D

both are as close to weather resistant as possible, stainless, synthetic stocks
and see hard use and I

guns that only see range use and fair weather hunting gets taken care of to but not to the same extent because they don't see the same type of (ab)use

KEYBEAR

I clean as needed and time is not important as I enjoy the time spent .
Cleaning a firearm is part of the sport and should be as enjoyable as shooting .

My Ruger that I shoot about every day( if it is not bad weather) gets cleaned once a week or when weather is bad .

stuckinthe60s

I change my oil every 3000 miles to look for metal chips in the plug magnet. why? I want to detect it asap so I don't blow my engine up.

sure go ahead. shoot 35,000 rounds.
but wouldn't it be nice to find a hairline in your chamber after just one days use?
murphies law always applies...........

'your buddies dirty gun will fire forever. but yours will jam and it will cost you your squads lives.'

when I was in the teams, if I ever brought a gun back dirty to the armory, theyd duct tape me and leave me in the parking lot.

Skans

...if...cleaning takes more than 10 to 15 minutes...
...you are wasting your time on nonsense.

I know, I could be watching an enlightening episode of Preppers instead!

jmr40

I don't think the author is suggesting that we do the same with our rifles. But knowing that he could go that long and still have the rifle function illustrates that we probably don't have to clean weapons as often as many think.

People torture test all sorts of products just to illustrate what they can do if abused. That is not a recommendation that they be used that way