• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Idleness causes unread threads/posts to be marked as read?

Mal H

Staff
Well, it's hardly a quorum of members, but it appears that the preponderance of members who responded here want to go to the persistent method of keeping track of read threads. (It was 9 to 1 in favor of changing.)

So, we'll give it a try again. Maybe it will be received a little better this time.

Mal H

Staff
I have put up a notice concerning the change. Every registered member should see it at least once. After you dismiss it, it won't be shown to you again.

For those who missed it (that would include moderators), here is a copy for future reference:

Notice - TFL is changing the method we use to keep track of threads you have read. We are going to the "persistent" method. This means that any thread you have not actually opened will continue to be listed as unread (title will be bold) until you actually read it or you manually mark the forum(s) as all read.

Previously, any thread that you had not read would have been changed to read after a certain time period of inactivity.

You can mark a forum as read several ways. While viewing the forum's list of threads, pull down the Forum Menu and select "Mark This Forum Read". While viewing the main page (list of all forums), you can double click on the leftmost icon next to the forum (looks like a scope reticle). To mark all the forums as read all at once, click on "Mark Forums Read" at the bottom of the forum listing, or pull down the Quick Links menu and select "Mark Forums Read".

Due to the manner the function appears to operate when it is first turned on, you will probably see threads you may have already read marked as unread. We suggest that you initially mark all forums as read to get around this problem. After that, the function should work as described.

Even though the thread marking will appear to be persistent, there is a three day limit to thread and forum marking as read. That is, if a forum goes for three days without the member having read all threads in it, the threads older than three days old will be marked as read. The assumption is that the member has no interest in those threads if they went for three days without opening it.

If you have any questions on the operation of this function, please ask them in the Tech Support forum in this thread: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471059

Hum...

It's showing messages that I read to the middle of last week as NOT having been read.

Messages before that ARE showing as having been read.

Mal H

Staff
That's because Mal doesn't know all the nuances of how the function works. I'll add a suggestion to the notice that members mark all forums read to begin with.

Buzzcook

Here's my problem. The threads which I have responded to seem to be marked as unread even though I have read them subsequently and there are no new posts..
Is this just a change over thing or is this going to continue? I'd prefer they be marked as read until there is a new post.

For threads I haven't responded to I don't care if they're marked read or not. I can read a thread title either way.

Al Norris

Moderator Emeritus
Buzzcook, the quickest way to update all your cookies, is to mark the entire forum as read.

At the main index page, at the very bottom of the forum listings, you will see 2 options in the blue bar: Mark Forums Read View Forum Leaders

Click on the "Mark Forums Read" option.

Buzzcook, the quickest way to update all your cookies, is to mark the entire forum as read.

At the main index page, at the very bottom of the forum listings, you will see 2 options in the blue bar: Mark Forums Read View Forum Leaders

Click on the "Mark Forums Read" option.
How does this help? And what if I have NOT read the entire forum? I want to see what's new since my last visit ... which is the way TFL worked until Tuesday (Jan 24), and the way every other vBulletin forum I have ever encountered works.

If the problem is that the unread bolding was expiring before people read threads, simply due to inactivity, you have used napalm to try to eliminate a gnat. Unread posts/threads don't self-expire on other vBulletin forums, no matter how long I walk away from the computer ... as long as I don't log off. But I have never had to manually mark anything as read.

Why would I mark as read something that I have not read? Seems rather counter-intuitive to me.

nate45

This board is functioning pretty much exactly as The High Road does.

Here is a tip, I marked all forums read on my last visit. When I visited today, I clicked New Posts. All of the New Posts since my last visit are contained within those results. If I open a thread, then go back to the New post results that thread will be eliminated from those results, until someone makes a new post.

Lets say one is reading through the various pages of New Posts and they're on page 4 and open a thread. Now you want to start reading the new posts from where you left off and not from the beginning, just hit the back button.

Also, the easiest way to keep up with threads you are very interested in,has always been to Subscribe to them.

7.62 Nato

This is my first sign on since implimented. I'm looking forward to reading TFL this way. It was always irritating if i was slow, or distracted to come back to no new threads. I'm used to this style on other boards.

Thank you very much.