Ideas for a 12 Gauge, double barrel (side by side) shotgun

FITASC

As someone who owned a Savage/FoxBSE, the Stevens "upscale" cousin; I disagree about the robustness as the innards are fairly NOT robust, the springs are weak and somewhat fragile........yes the barrels are thick and heavy, bit the trigger was gritty and heavy

stuckinthe60s

right. ive shot and owned more shotguns in my lifetime than I care to remember! that includes junk. needless to say, the junk are gone, long gone. muzzle rise, muzzle flash, buttplates in skin....no thanks! enjoy.

bamaranger

slugs and forearms

SXS shotguns typically make poor slug guns. I'd suspect that entry level guns like the imports and the old utilitarian Stevens 311 and their kin would be especially troublesome. The regulation of those guns was satisfactory for shot loads, but I really doubt refined enough to place slugs with sufficient accuracy for hunting. Certainly it's been done, and there's always the gun that is the exception, but as a rule, some type single barreled action is a better choice for slugs.

A self detaching forearm :eek: would be entertaining, but I'll bet could be repaired. The old 311's were the next step up from really cheap single barrels and bolt shotguns when I was a kid. Lots of my teenage buddies hunted with them, and many were much abused and neglected, subsequently, many used 311'a are in horrid condition. Finding a reasonably tight and shooter 311 these days is not the norm. Given TLC, a 311 can survive for some time. I acquired a 311A 16 ga a couple of years ago, mfg's 1949, that despite being hunted by two generations, since well cared for, is still servicable.

Ricklin

Workingman's double

The Stevens doubles are robust enough. The plus is they made right around a zillion with their name on them, then a few zillion more for Sears and Western Auto.
Serviceable, there are a lot of them out there. For home defense I'd rather have a pump.
Between the pump guns and the cheap doubles of years gone by, plenty of election without destroying a valuable piece of history.
While the old model 12 is revered by many, I'd cut an old 30"full choke down in a heartbeat, if that's what I needed.
Given it's a plain jane of course. Winchester made a lot of them, and the old full chokes are too tight for todays loads.

While some might freak out, look at the number made and the fact the old gun is given a new life.
And no disconnector can be fun too.

eastbank

i bought two 20" remington smooth bore cyl choke barrels with rifle sights, one for my 870 and one for my 1100 at a gun show for 50.00 each. easy on-off for hunting or defence.

Schlitz 45

Probably not what your looking for but I've had a lot of fun with this one.
saPjLKwl.jpg

hFok4Vvl.jpg

KPsF7Xhl.jpg

smee78

John Wayne in El Dorado and his sidekick Mississippi with his "can't see too well" shotgun lol.

I had a Stoeger 20ga, and it was a beast. It shot great and never had any problems, I wish I hadn't sold it to fund another gun purchase.

Stoeger offers a Double Defense Shotgun with a rail you could mount a light on, that would be something I would look at if home defense was its intended use.

I had this one-
Coach Gun Supreme Shotgun
Finish/Stock: AA-Grade Gloss Walnut, Brushed Nickel / Synthetic Stock
Gauge: 20-Gauge Chambered for: 2-3/4", 3"

Bill DeShivs

Schlitz45's gun is a muzzle loading, percussion cap fired, black powder gun.
The hammer has a barrel selector switch that moves side to side to choose which barrel you use. The hammer must be cocked for each shot.

Seedy Character

Guessing, from pic, it uses 209 primers. What size powder charge? 60gr FF?

Knew about the safety/barrel selector, same as all modern single trigger. Was being facetious.
A double fire is fun.

Schlitz 45

Bill’s correct, the “Diablo” is ls black powder w/209 primers. I usually shoot 21 pieces of #4 buck shot or .715 pumpkin balls. It’s a fun one & can deliver to your door.