Ideal barrel length for .45 Colt?

stevelyn

You can run 50,000psi loads through it and not worry about it.

Yeah, I read the Brian Pearce reply to a letter in Handloader, but I don't advertise it too much. Besides, a 330gr cast bullet fueled by 21 grains of Lil'Gun is getting near the upper edge of what's comfortable for me to hang onto during a range session. :D

SaxonPig

It is very popular to hot rod the 45 Colt and these guys like the longer barrels to wring every last FPS from their hot loads. I think the 45 Colt is fine at normal velocities for its intended purposes and I don't know why S&W even made their guns in this caliber with barrels longer than 4".

standard.jpg

smee78

I perfer 4-5 1/2 for handguns/general purpose use, If I cant get it done with one of thoes then I need a rifle. Now yes I dow own a Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2, I mainly shoot it with a scope. If CCWing then the 2-3 1/2 works out great.

Ibmikey

I had my S&W barrel shortened to 5" and it made all the difference in handling yet maintained it's accuracy. For me it fit all my revolver needs for carry, target and hunting but the main point is the ease of getting on the target quickly coupled with a decent sight radius.

rodfac

I really like 4-5/8" bbl'd. Rugers in .45 Colt, or any other caliber for that matter...they offer ease of carry with enough sight radius for accurate shooting, and a that length, you can carry 'em in a rear jeans pocket without worry about them falling out. Not practical everywhere, I know, but useful here on the farm. Best Regards, Rod