Id like to getyour thoughts on .357 sig

DennisE

Ben: Too bad for those of us interested in CCW that the 10 mm can't be chambered in 9mm sized guns like the .357 SIG. Too bad for all of us that the 10 mm has already had its 15 minutes of fame in the marketplace and like the .41 Magnum now has to be preserved by the devotion of a small band of devoted shooters. Regards, Dennis

killer45auto

Yea i really like the practicality of the .357 round .Up till now i`ve been a 1911 fanatic ,still am but got tired of carrying all my real nice ones.I`d have a heartattache if i lost one or it got stolen so i decided to go a different route and break the pattern of having nothing but the 1911 in my house and get a carry gun that i would not care if it got abused or scratched and one that i could not modify to much.So i bought a glock .I used to would not even think of one ,now i just hope the glock bug dont hit me like the 1911 bug did.That could get real expensive in divorce court.But let me just say this i am impressed by the glock so far and am wondering why it took so many years to get one .Thanks for you all`s input

sigarms229

Here is a link to a description of .357sig by Peter Jordon. Check it out.
http://www.saf.org/pub/rkba/mirror/flubber/FAQ/IVG9.txt

I especially like the closing summary:
In Summary:

"The 357Sig cartridge is the way to go if you are interested in a_superior feeding autopistol_ with high firepower, deep penetration and excellent subsequent expansion, high +P+ energy, flat trajectory,
manageable recoil, high velocity, and extreme accuracy in a concealable, shootable handgun, that can be easily mated with
virtually all current 40S&W guns, and is politically correct for agencies."

Red Bull

Ben,

I am glad we can have caliber discussion without hard feelings.
I think I was just not clear.
The .357 Sig out of a 4 inch barrel equals or surpasses the 10mm out of a 4 inch barrel.

The 10mm is usually measures out of a 5 inch barrel. Out of a 5 inch barrel, the 10mm definitly gets ahead. But, out of a short barrel the 10mm loses a LOT of velocity as that powder burns up out the end of the barrel. The short barreled 10mm has velocities just over that of a .40 caliber out of a short barrel, because all that powder is wasted. So, in the short barrel, the .357 Sig actually ends up with more velocity, more penetration and more energy than a 10mm that is also shot out of a short barrel.

I believe the .357 Sig to be an AWESOME short barreled cartrdige. If you have the space and can move up to a huge hand cannon, then the 10mm is, IMHO the king, with the .45 also being extremely effective.

Some rounds, like the 10mm and the .45acp were designed for a 5 inch barrel.
Many bew rounds, like the .357 Sig are designed out for a 4 inch barrel.
When you take the 10mm that was designed for a long barrel, and stick in a short barrel, then it is no longer the 10mm that you see on paper charts.

WESHOOT2

The 357SIG seems to be a slightly hot 357MAGNUM-type auto pistol round.
Results from those P.D.'s using it have been uniformly (pun intended) good.

Please, you experts out there, don't think the 10mm is weak.
The 10mm has, IMHO, the highest potential of any defense cartridge.

125gJHP/.357"/1450fps = 135gJHP/.400"/1550+fps

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Congrats on your new purchase. I bought my Glock31 in October and I love it. The only things I have added are the rubber decal grip and I just changed the stock recoil spring to a Wolff non-captured rod and 22lb spring. This did calm the recoil a bit (glock stock spring is a 17lb). But it should be less stress on the frame, and the main immediate benefit is that the brass is not ejecting 4 lanes to my right at the range. That was bad for other shooters on my right plus I reload this round and wanted to find all my brass.
Yesterday was my first time shooting with the new recoil spring. No problems with approx 250 reloads using the new spring. I might try the 24lb spring.
Enjoy
-Fred

------------------

Russell92

The agencies that use it so far are the Secret Service, around 4-5 state police, and the FBI. thats right the FBI. in a magazine i just read it said the 3 FBI handguns the agents can choose from are a Glock 22 a S&W DAO .45, and a Sig 226 in .357sig. i guess this is quite recent i though they used the glock 22 and 23.

also i wouldn't be surprised if many more LE agencies switch to this round. i definetly think it easily outperforms the .40 which most agencies carry now. also its growing in popularity for the civilian market. its one of the few rounds in recent years that is actually catching on. its done much better than rounds like the 9mmX23, .38super, and .356TSW. these rounds were all designed to copy the .357mag but never caught on.

Peter M. Eick

I read this over and will add that I have a 10mm witness and like it a lot. 10mm is a great round and fun to shoot. I am going to pick up my 357 sig 229 sport tomorrow or friday. I went with the sig to make the comparison to the 10mm and it was in such a nice package.

Right now though, when I want to carry something big I go for the 10mm with 175 grn silvertips. Yes I know they are big and heavy, but I can hit very accurately with them and they are a gas to shoot. It will be interesting to see if after a few months I switch to the 357sig instead.

Red Bull

Russell:

I would say that the #1 reason that the .357 Sig has cought on is simply because it can be launched out of a 9mm frame.
The 9x21, .38 super and others have the same ballistics, and were a good attempt, but they require a large frame handgun to fit the long cartridge.
The .357 accomplishes all this out of a small gun, that is easier to carry, and fits the hands of more people. As you can see, I am quite enamoured with it.
I think this round is a shoe-in for law enforcement due to it's deep penetration and excellent barrier penetration, with enormous kinetic energy, low recoil and all out of a small platform that will fit many LEO's hands. All these characteristics make it a very good law enforcement round. I suspect we will see a lot of LEO's going to it. Unfortunatly, the inferior .40 caliber beat the .357 Sig to the punch, and so many people have gone to the .40 recently, that they are not ready to switch again. So, it may take a few years before we see the majority of LEA's switching to the .357 Sig, after their new .40's have worn out.
So far, the street results for this round have been stellar. Many street shootings so far show that it drops felons on the spot. When you are dumping 600 foot pounds into the bad guy instantly, coupled with 15.5 inches of penetration, then you can see how that might drop a person on the spot, with even better ballistics than the old .357 Magnums.

355sigfan

The 357 sig is my preferred round. It is accurate,powerfull and has reasonable recoil. It is not more powerfull than the 10mm as some one said. my glock 31 with its most powerfull load has 583 foot pounds (corbon 125 at 1450) my glock 20 with its most powerfull round has 674 footpounds(corbons 135 grain load out of my glock 20 at 1500) the 357 sig is the better caliber however becasue it has less recoil and comes in smaller guns
PAT

------------------
I intend to go into harms way.

marley

In VA, Richmond PD as well as the state police use it. I have a g32 and love it. Loud, Pricy ammo, low recoil small easy to shoot gun it even fits in my g17 holsters It's great.

killer45auto

Update, I finally made it to the range today and put a few rounds through it.I must say I realy like this round a lot my self,now that ive got a taste of how it shoots.The recoil is more straight back and you dont get hardly any muzzle rise as compared to a lot of other rounds in this class! Also finally got to shoot a couple rounds of full house .454 casull through the redhawk which is suprisingly comfortable in that gun,a buddy of mine just picked that one up!It feels better through that gun then shooting full house 45 colt handloads through a ruger vaquero(wierd)!!!

Peter M. Eick

I just got back from the range with my 10mm witness and my new sig 229 sport 357 sig. The sig is a *****cat! Accurate, neglibable recoil and easy to shoot. I was expecting to be just pummeled by the blast (from all of the other posts) but with speer gold dots it was nothing.

Compared to my 10mm the 357 sig is, 1/2 the recoil (or maybe a 1/3rd) 2x more accurate, 2/3rds the muzzle blast and probably 2x as fun.

I bought a 357 sig barrel for my Glock 27. It shoots realiably and if fairly accurate. I believe that the round is a bit much for this little gun though. The time to recover for the next shot is longer than in 40 s&w. It's a 2 handed round in this little gun.
The 357 sig round needs to have a gun with the heft and size of a 1911, Beretta 92 or one of the larger Glocks.
Having said that, I'm keeping my 357 sig conversion.