Id like to getyour thoughts on .357 sig

killer45auto

I`m curious as to what peoples Rants or Raves is on this calibur as i have just got a Glock 31 .I originally wanted the 10mm but the Delta Elite from Colt is no more and the Glock 10mm is a little to chunky for my taste so i chose the .357 instead.

shamster

I love the .357 SIG. Great ballistics, and incredible accuracy. You get penetration, expansion, and plenty of energy. Plus it's a reliable feeder.
What more can you want?

Mike Spight

Ditto Shamster's comments. Plus, with my SIG 226, I can purchase a .40 S&W bbl and fire that round through the same platform. Mags are same-same for both calibers in SIGs products.

For me, the .357 SIGs accuracy is what makes it such an interesting round.

On the downside, since it's still a relatively new round with rather limited LE use, the ammo is pricy.

Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Spight (edited February 07, 2000).]

Boneyard

I have a Glock 22 that I purchased a Federal extended and Ported barrel and a super comp. for it...it is amazingly accurate...far more accurate than I am..I have the Barrel up for auction at Gunbroker.com right now auction #148002...the only reason I have it there is to possibly trade for a .40 kkm or barsto barrel so I can shoot lead bullets ffom the Glock and the fact that I am setup to reload .40 and where I live...in Rural VA...it's hard to get the .357 sig ammo...
But as far as stopping power and accuracy you da man!!..

------------------
A MASTER OF HIS ART REVEALS IT IN EVERYTHING HE DOES

john232

I bought a Federal brand 357 barrel for my Glock 23 and love it alot. I am finally accurate enough with the gun to get 3 inch grps @ 25 yds. Its the only cal. that I CCW with. As you can see I am a happy camper.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
I remain of the opinion that they are over rated.

Full of sound and fury and all that...

------------------
I mean, if I went around saying I was an Emperor because some
moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, people would put me away!

Siggy

cccammo.com for .357 sig in refurbs at 165.00/1000. I say try 'em and then I can read raves other than my own. Best new caliber/cartridge in at least 10-20 years.

12-34hom

I agree with George's opinion of 357 sig round. Get the 10mm, better overall round than 357 sig. Glock model 20 [10mm] are excellent weapons, go to Guns America, there are several Colt delta elites there for sale in 10mm.

DennisE

Great round! I'm now on my 2nd SIG 239 .357 SIG (I very foolishly sold the first). Precision Cartridge sells excellent reloads for practice for $110 + shipping + your brass. Regards, Dennis

Burnout

I really like the .357 SIG over the .40. It is definitely a better cartridge; not a whole bunch better, but certainly better. The price and local availiability is tough, but that is getting better every couple of months. Now I've heard of some folks having trouble getting ammo from some of the larger distributors because of the amount of backorders. It's getting more popular all the time!

jwong

There are certainly some advantages to the .357 Sig, but in my opinion, the recoil and muzzle blast outweigh the benefits...

grapeshad

Excellent round. I have a 32 and 35 with a KKM .357 Sig barrel. When I can find ammo at a somewhat reasonable price(yes I'm probably one of hundreds with a case on backorder at Shooters), I just love to shoot it. Recoil is similar to the .40 but feels different...not as snappy..still a kick but it feels smoother and more refined. I also got a 23 out of the deal buy just buying a .40 barrel from Glockmeister.

It does make a big bang as jwong points out but to me, thats half the appeal :) I always wear double ear protection on the range and the .357 sig WILL get you noticed.

All in all it is an awesome round but with all that said, I carry a 30. :)

Russell92

I love the .357sig. i think its the best round for defense besides the .45 and the .45 can fail in certain situations. if any of you can read the article in i think Handguns magazine about the Texas DPS switching to the .357sig over the .45 its surprizing how much the .45 will fail when it hits something before a person whereas the .357sig works more reliably. the fast velocities of it make it both an accurate round and a reliable JHP (it will open up faster and easier than .45). i plan to get a G31 myself sometime.

also a gun chambered in .357sig is a versitile gun since with just a new barrel you can make it a .40 (same mags even) and all you need to get cheap target shooting with it is a conversion barrel made by companies lik bar-sto and olympic arms. they fit in .40/.357sig guns and shoot 9mm reliably and safely with just the barrel change and new 9mm mags.

sigarms229

I like this round alot. I've got a Sig 229, Glock 31 and Glock 33 that are chambered for this round. Accuracy, power, reliability. It does have more muzzle flash and a louder "bark" when firing but I don't find it unpleasant to shoot (even thru that little G33). As others have stated, the Texas DPS and US Secret service have switched to this round. There are also a few state agencies using the round but I can't recall who at the present time. I think the 10mm is a great round but the only thing you can get in 10mm (new) is the Glock 20 or 29. The 20 is way to big for my hand and no one in my area stocks a 29. Go for the .357, you'll be happy with it.

John

Red Bull

.357 Sig is the best round out right now, IMHO.
Performance out of a smaller gun SURPASSES that of the 10mm in energy and velocity.
The .357 Sig has enormous energy for that initial dump, as well as deep penetration.
The 125gr .357 Sig will move at over 1525 fps in a full sized platform or a little less in a small platform. The Gold Dot penetrates 16 inches AND dumps almost 600 foot pounds of energy. If does it ALL out of a very small platform: Penetration AND energy dump. Few rounds have the capability to do that, and the 10mm is one of them, but the 10mm loses so much out of the shorter barrel, that the .357 Sig surpasses it.
The Gold Dots put out NO muzzle flash, and the recoil is less than that of a medium .40 load. It is loud, but that is about it, and it is no louder than any other magnum round that has been around forever.
The ballistics of the .357 Sig surpass the .357 Mag in the 125gr weight, out of a much smaller platform, with MUCH less recoil, and very large capacity. What more could you possibly want???

My Glock 32 holds 14+1 rounds of ".357 Magnum" and it recoils very little and it has no muzzle flash. It is a .357 Magnum but waaaay better. That is a lot of firepower out of a little gun like that and you don't have the muzzle flash and recoil of the old wheelgun.

For the compact guns, I don't think there is anything on the market that can compare with the .357 Sig in total performance.
I believe there to be arguably better cartridges out there, but only from larger platforms. From the small platform, the .357 Sig is the ultimate answer for the time being.

That's just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

I know that not everyone respects Mas Ayoob, but he claims that the people that come to his classes that carry .357 sig are the most educated bunch on ballistics out there. The .357 Sig has many little benefits that the average person cannot grasp, but for someone that studies ballistcs and understands the high energy vs penetration arguments etc, the .357 Sig is the ultimate answer. There is no compromise with that round; no decision between high energy/expansion OR deep penetration, because this round does both., much like the 10mm does, but out of a small platform.

Do a search on this site for the .357 Sig and you will find some good arguments on it's benefits.

Ps- I am buying .357 Sig from Precision cartridges.
I have not gotten any yet so I can't comment on it, but it is only $160.00 a case, And if you trade in your brass you can get a case for only $112.50!!!!!!

Or, you can go with the Blazers for under $8 a box if you shop around.

.357 Sig is getting much cheaper as it gets more popular.

Ben

RedBull... you're full of "bull." :eek:)

The 10mm is deffinately superior, as far as pure numbers, to the .357 Sig. Unfortunately the 10MM isn't a FAD like the .357Sig. There's no way a .357Sig out of a short barrel will out perform a 10mm out of a longer barrel. Not even possible. Keep the 10MM loads between 135-165 grain and you'll have a cartridge that could pound the .357 Sig.

he-he-he,
All comments tounge-in-cheek,
Ben

------------------
AOL IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"