I want a custom rifle built.

emcon5

Can you tell us why you are so fixated on 7.62X54r?

For a custom rifle you are adding problems and expense, because of lack of availability of quality barrel blanks in the proper .311 bore size, and as was mentioned you would need a custom bolt face.

On edit, if you handload, there are also a lot fewer options in .311-.312 bullets, and last time I looked, they cost more.

govmule84

If you find a gunsmith willing to "weld up" and then recut the chamber on a high pressure rifle cartridge would you please post their information so I can stay as far from them as possible............

Okay, then perhaps I've got the labor wrong. Maybe a barrel for a smaller cartridge could be cut, or, like others have mentioned, I could simply order a barrel made to spec.

Finding that barrel will be the problem. A quick look at ER Shaw and Douglas showed they don't offer that chambering, probably because the barrel should really be 312 and not the standard 308. A good gunsmith could build you a 308-54R, but that means you have to reload and can't take advantage of surplus ammo.
You can have a "custom" built done for your money, even if that means ER Shaw barrel, boyd stock and timney trigger. Just don't expect it to perform like a Shilen barrel on a trued action with Jewel trigger and custom bedding.

This I know. My current boolits are .312 for my Mosin. Surplus ammo is of little import to me. I'm not expecting the world of it, just something better than the monster I have built up now. Sub MOA would be nice.

I wouldnt go the 7.62x54R route... but I think I found what your looking for.

Classic Arms has nagant actions... and heavy barrels available for CHEAP... I mean CHEAP.

http://classicarms.us/firearms.htm

The actions are $30

I think we've found a winner.

5 Can you tell us why you are so fixated on 7.62X54r?

Why not? It has to fire something. I already have one, and the reloading stuff for it, and there is not much development that's been done for handloaders on this. It'd be cool to have something unlike anybody else's range toy.

emcon5

Why not? It has to fire something.
The primary advantage to shooting 7.62x54R is because the surplus ammo is dirt cheap. If accuracy is you goal, that reason is gone.

I already have one, and the reloading stuff for it, and there is not much development that's been done for handloaders on this.
If you are already set up to reload for the 54R, all you need is dies. For a custom bolt gun, you are going to want to neck size anyway. A set of Lee Collet dies is what, $30? You are going to spend 5 times that modifying your bolt and getting an oddball barrel.

It'd be cool to have something unlike anybody else's range toy.

If that is you goal, why not go for something even more obscure, like 9.5x57mm Mannlicher-Schönauer. Maybe you could do an Ackley improved version. It would really be unlike anyone else's range toy in the world.

govmule84

The primary advantage to shooting 7.62x54R is because the surplus ammo is dirt cheap. If accuracy is you goal, that reason is gone.

The surplus ammo is awful. The bullets are sized wrong for most of the barrels. Ballistically speaking, it's nearly the same as aught six, and God knows there are plenty of accurate versions of those out and about. As I mentioned, I have limited space and storage, so if I could keep my hunting and target guns the same, I'd be pleased.

If you are already set up to reload for the 54R, all you need is dies. For a custom bolt gun, you are going to want to neck size anyway. A set of Lee Collet dies is what, $30? You are going to spend 5 times that modifying your bolt and getting an oddball barrel.

I neck size anywho... I use a Lee handloader (whack-a-mole). I like the cartridge, and would like to continue working with it. I am a big believer in consolidating cartridges to reduce my inventory on hand. From that link HKfan posted earlier, it looks like I can use a stocker Mosin bolt and a very, very cheap barrel that should perform nicely.

If that is you goal, why not go for something even more obscure, like 9.5x57mm Mannlicher-Schönauer. Maybe you could do an Ackley improved version. It would really be unlike anyone else's range toy in the world

I have no experience or equipment relating to those rounds. While I'm sure it would be unique, I am looking for a combination of price, uniqueness, compatibility with my current equipment and whims - much like anyone else who has spec'd a gun. I appreciate that there are different paths to take to get to the goal I envision, but I am looking for constructive advice. I know there is a lot of knowledge on this board, and I've learned a bunch in my five or six years here. However, on this topic, I think I know best what I want, and I'm just looking for some advice on how to make my chosen path there less bumpy.

HKFan9

They also have synthetic stocks for the Mosins on their site... you would just need a barrel and a bolt. If you get a stock bolt for one.. I have seen people heat them with torches and bend them down so it will clear a scope... then you just need to figure out how to mount a scope.

Not my cup of tea project... but I will help you in your quest for obscurity comrade! Plus I love Mosin's b/c I enjoy talking in a fake Russian accent!

govmule84

They also have synthetic stocks for the Mosins on their site... you would just need a barrel and a bolt. If you get a stock bolt for one.. I have seen people heat them with torches and bend them down so it will clear a scope... then you just need to figure out how to mount a scope.

I've been chatting up Wyosmith as cowboy_mo suggested. Granted, we've talked only in passing, but he sounds like this might not be impossible. I imagine if this rifle makes use of that heavy barrel, I'll need a custom or semi-custom stock. My current Mosin uses that ATI stock, and it's a nice little rig. When I mounted my scope, I pulled off the iron sights, and lo and behold, there's a 3/8" dovetail milled into the receiver. I got tip-off rings and cranked a scout scope down in there. Works great.

Not my cup of tea project... but I will help you in your quest for obscurity comrade! Plus I love Mosin's b/c I enjoy talking in a fake Russian accent!

Yeah, everybody loves to hate these rifles, but I think they're undeserving of the rep. The Finn guns are obviously accurate, and the Russian guns have barrels too big for the ammo. My handloads have done really nicely in there - I'd put my gun up against a seven or eight hundred dollar gun any day of the week for accuracy. Fit and finish needed lots of work, but hey, it was a cheap project. I want to keep playing with the loads (I've worked up some really decent ones), and I am going to need a more accurate test piece to do it.

HKFan9

I don't hate them.. but for component building a gun I would prolly stick to a .308 as TONS of stuff are available, for both the rifle and reloading.

No way am I putting your project down.. I think its a fun idea to toy around with.. and you seem to already understand the limitations so I say have at it.. I think you will have fun and be pleased.

I want to see pictures when all said and done!

shooter_john

I'll go a different route with my suggestion... I think you're best bet for accuracy, scopeablilty and overall satisfaction would be a Savage/ Stevens build. Buy a Stevens long action donor rifle ($250ish?), a barrel blank $100-$400 depending on the maker, and you're in business. Have a smith chamber the blank and open your bolt head to accomodate the 54R. You then have a completely modern, easily scoped rifle that has decent aftermarket support for further cusomization.

The most accurate rifle I own is a 'custom' Savage 30-06 that I 'built' in my garage. I used a Savage 116SS action, a heavy McGowen barrel, and a Bell & Carlson stock. I topped it off with a Nikon Monarch (which I got at cost) and the whole package was barely $1K. It will shoot in the .3's much more readily than I am able to make it do so as a shooter.

govmule84

That sounds grand - I am just having trouble finding a smith to do the work. I think that it must be a dying art, and that's a lot of coin to plunk down without having a good idea that it's going to turn out right.