i want a bolt action 30-06. recommend something.

MLeake

I bought a Remington 700 ADL...

... with Nikon Pro-Staff BDC scope a few years back; total came to around $700. Nothing fancy, just basic setup.

Bought some Remington Core-Lokt 180gr, because I figured it was a versatile weight, and sighted the rifle in.

I'm just an ok shot, but from the bench I was getting groups of 1" to 1.5".

For a basic rifle and scope, and fairly inexpensive factory ammo, I was more than happy with it.

GeauxTide

This is the time of year to get great bargains on 270s, 308, or '06 rifles. I just picked up a 30-06 700LH SPS in excellent condition for a song.

Legionnaire

Buy used. Remington 700, Savage 110, Winchester 70, Tikka T3 ... lots of options. But best bang for the buck will be second hand. And you do need to get the rifle first, then determine what shoots best from it.

smith357

I'm with the "buy a used rifle" crowd. there are plenty of great used bolt action rifles out there to choose from. Just last year my buddy and I were shopping for some 06 hunting rifles and saw plenty of good candidates. There are a lot of sporterized 03 Springfield's out there for under $300. There are also a plethora of Remington's, Savages, Winchester's, Browning and Mauser designs in the $250-$500 range and they usually come with a scope. I looked at the many new budget rifle offering from Marlin, Steven's and Mossberg and found them to be lacking in fit and finish and the fine smooth feel of rifle like a 98, 700, or 70. My buddy found a sweet a3-03 sported that was professionally done with deep rich bluing and inlayed stock topped with a Weaver K4 for $325. I almost went for a Belgian BAR MKII Safari for $500 but went with a very nice 1980s vintage Winchester M70 with a 3x9 Leupold for $400.

HunterGuy

The T/C Ventures are a very nice gun for low cost.

As far as ammo, I have had nothing but good experiences with Hornady. For a good hunting round the SST's are very nice for wound channel vs penetration ratio.

sserdlihc

i want cheap but good. i thought my friend's savage bolt 30-06 was damn accurate but the bolt action didn't feel all that smooth.

I have found cheap is not synonymous with quality. If you want to spend very little on a rifle then you will have to sacrifice smooth action, trigger and fit/finish.

Best rifle I have ever talked myself into buying was my Sako hunter 75. I have never regretted spending the money I spent on that rifle. The Sako 85 is the successor to the 75 that is being manufactured now. The action is very similar to the 75.

FrankenMauser

Cheap but good, in .30-06.

One answer: Marlin XL7.

You had better put some good glass on it, though. A cheap scope only gets worse at 300 yards.

I have found cheap is not synonymous with quality.

I, too, have found that to be generally true.

The XL7, however, I am thoroughly impressed with. She's not the prettiest girl at the ball, but she sure can dance!

Tuzo

Beauty under the skin

My favorite pawn/gun shop has several hunting rifles for sale between $250-400. Many with scope. As stated before, most hunting rifles have been shot very few times. One example at the shop is a Remington 743 that has average wear and tear from handling but the bore is near pristine. Other hunting rifles in the shop have very little noticeable wear.

My Winchester 70 in .243 and Remington 700 in .30-06 are pawnshop bargains. Both are very accurate with my reloads.

If you live in southeast LA I can steer you to the shop.

(BH)

If you have a specific price range that you're looking at, post it so we can give you a little bit better advice.

I'm going to guess that you're looking in the $300-$600 range. Personally, in that range, I'd go for a Savage (pick one, they're all good), Howa 1500, Remington 700, Tikka T3, or I'd try to stir up a good deal on something used (think Winchester 70).

Best of luck.

miguel

Another vote for the Marlin xl-7. I recently bought a xs-7 in 7mm-08 for $359, put a Redfield 2x7 on it for $129, and went shooting for under $500. So far I am VERY impressed. Groups so far have ranged from 1 1/2" to 3/4", with factory ammo. Very good quality at a very reasonable price.

Bird Dog

Every hunter should have a Winchester Model 70 in either .30-06 or .270. I have many others as well, but these two are the most pleasing to carry and hunt with.

jhgreasemonkey

I would go with a stevens 200 if I was looking to spend as little as possible for a decent bolt action .30-06. Then I would mount a bushnell banner on it and be into it for less than $400.

hooligan1

I would like to welcome you to 3006 central, Everybody digs em'. They kill alot of game! ;) Our house deer rifle is a Rem 700 ADL in 3006, it's taken alot of deer!!:)