i want a bolt action 30-06. recommend something.

cajun47

for deer and hog hunting. im not willing to pay for the name, i want cheap but good. i thought my friend's savage bolt 30-06 was damn accurate but the bolt action didn't feel all that smooth.

i'll be hunting in wooded areas but on pipelines with around 300 yards line of sight. what brands of ammo tend to be more accurate in general?

jimbob86

Best value in a rifle:

Large calibers like '06 in hunting rifles tend to get shot very little, as most hunters are not likely to shoot more than 1 box of shells a year.

Find a used Remington 700, Savage 110, or Ruger 77 in good shape in a pawnshop somewhere..... then learn to shoot it. In field positions, not just from a bench.

"It is a rare man that can shoot up to the capability of his rifle." -Jeff Cooper

w748

I've had a Rem 700 for over 30 years now, first new rifle I bought. Not sure how the newer ones are.
Another vote for roll your own to get best accuracy. Otherwise you just have to try them in YOUR rifle.

trooper3385

Figure out the ammo after you pick the gun. Your gun might shoot much more accurately with one brand than it does with another. I have some rifles that are nail drivers with anything you feed it, and other rifles that I've only found one brand ammo that it will perform well with. For example, I have a browning A bolt in a 300 win mag. It shoots under an inch with just about everything. But with the accubonds bullets, it shoots about 7 in. groups. My brother in law has the same caliber in a Kimber. He went through about 6 different boxes of various brands. The only thing he has found that performs well out of his gun is the Accubonds. I do reload and that is usually the best route to go to get the most out of your rifle. It let's you tailor your loads to your rifle.

Crankylove

i want cheap but good

Do you want a cheap rifle, or an inexpensive (relatively) rifle? They aren't really the same thing.

For me, cheap refers to quality, while inexpensive is geared more towards purchase price.

The Marlin, Savage, and Stevens bolt guns seem to be a pretty good rifle for the money (from what I have seen and heard, I don't own one myself). I am partial to Ruger and Winchester, and don't mind spending the extra money for them, but my brother's Marlin is every bit as accurate as my Model 70, and he only paid $300 for it.

jimbob86

Found the quote

This preoccupation with "accuracy" is developing into a major bore. There is hardly a rifled firearm that can be purchased over the counter today that is not more accurate than the shooter can appreciate, except from bench rest, and the bench rest is no measure of anything except what it measures, and that is not useful accuracy. We have been barking up that tree ever since the revered Townsend Whelen held forth on the subject, and I conclude that perhaps the squirrel is in another tree. I have always shot very accurate rifles and I enjoy this, but never once did the rifle itself achieve anything in the field. When I qualified for a hunting license in Norway I was required to fire a five-shot group at 100 meters from any position that did not employ a rest. I shot from prone using a loop sling, and the sergeant-in-charge did not seem to think that the sling was a rest in the sense forbidden. The group elicited admiration, which leads me to believe that the general level of marksmanship in Norway is no better than elsewhere. I have not heard that the standing world's record of a ten-shot possible on a 100-millimeter bullseye at 300 meters has been surpassed. That, of course, was not fired from a bench rest. Any man who can place ten shots into a 4 inch circle at 300 yards from a field position is an outstanding shot. Whether he needs an accurate rifle to do that is questionable, if we use bench rest competition as an index.

It has always seemed to me that the measure of a rifleman is what he can do with one shot, first try, against the clock, on demand. We have always held that the master rifleman is one who can shoot up to his rifle. We do not meet him very often.

Jeff Cooper, Cooper's Commentaries, Vol. 11, No. 15

Hoskins

I'd definately recommend the Marlin XL7 or a Savage. Wally World (Wal-Mart) has the Savage's w/ a scope combo & ACCU-Trigger for just under $400.00.

Additionally you can find the Marlin XL7 for under $300.00 online or at a gun shop.

As far as ammo, I went with Hornaday SuperFormance for my 30.06. My gun is a post-64 Winchester Model 70 & it loves the Superformance rounds in 150gr.

Doyle

Marlin MX7 or Stevens 200 (Stevens 200 is a Savage model 10 with an ugly stock). Both are excellent rifles and can be had brand new for less than $300.

jdscholer

Broaden your choice of cartridges to include 308 Win, and you will double or triple your chances of finding a good used rifle with almost no difference in practical performance.
Some of my favorite bolt guns are the older Rugers with the tang safety. (don't like the newer three position setup) A real benefit with Rugers is that they come with integral scope mounts, saving you the decision and expense that you have with other brands. jd

jmr40

How much you wanna spend?

There are only 2 rifles I'd stay away from. The Mossberg ATR, and the Remington 770/710 series.

With modern CNC machining any $300 rifle can shoot as accurately as a $3000 rifle. The extra money pays for features that may enhance the reliability and durability of the rifle over the long term. Stainless metal, CRF actions, and quality stocks cost more money, and may be worth it to some, and not to others. You just have to go out there, handle some guns, and see what suits your needs.

These are my personal preferences. For a budget rifle I like the Marlin XL-7. The Savage or Stevens rifles are good too. I just like the looks and handling qualities on the Marlin much better. Especially in a long action. Couldn't give me a Savage in a long action.

For a little more the Weatherby Vanguard or Howa (basically same rifle) are good rifles. But at nearly 8 lbs, they are heavier than I want in a hunting rifle.

If you like the modernistic looks the Tikka T-3's are very accurate and lightweight.

The Ruger Hawkeye is the best buy in a traditional looking American big game rifle. I like the Winchester 70 Featherweight a little better, but it is also a little more expensive.

Any of those can be purchased for between $330-$650. If you want nicer wood, a real quality synthetic stock, or a 5 lb rifle you could spend $1200-$3000 on a Kimber or New Ultralight Arms rifle. They are expensive, but worth it. At least to some people.

nathaniel

A Savage, Howa (which is the same exact gun as the Vangaurd), and the Tikka are all good cheap rifles. And you cant go wrong with a .30 caliber, weather its 308 or 30-06. For which ammo shoots the best every gun is different you have to experiment.