I use my CCW/CHL permit to...

I use my CHL/CCW to:

• I never use it for anything at all.

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Skip the NICS check when purchasing a firearm.

Votes: 79 35.0%
  • Keep a handgun in the car when traveling/driving long distances.

Votes: 42 18.6%
  • Keep a handgun in the car when going to a place or doing something I consider dangerous.

Votes: 38 16.8%
  • Keep a handgun in the car when I go to the range or hunting (or other gun related activity).

Votes: 31 13.7%
  • Keep a handgun in the car when I think about it.

Votes: 19 8.4%
  • Keep a handgun in the car except when I think it’s perfectly safe not to.

Votes: 9 4.0%
  • Keep a handgun in the car any time it’s legal.

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Keep a handgun in the car all the time.

Votes: 44 19.5%
  • Carry when I go to a place or do something I consider dangerous.

Votes: 50 22.1%
  • Carry when I go to the range or hunting (or other gun related activity).

Votes: 26 11.5%
  • Carry when I think about it.

Votes: 16 7.1%
  • Carry when it’s convenient.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Carry except when I think it’s perfectly safe not to.

Votes: 20 8.8%
  • Carry any time it’s legal.

Votes: 126 55.8%
  • Carry all the time.

Votes: 71 31.4%

• Total voters

hecate

Nebraska has a purchase permit that takes the place of the NICS check. Shall-issue, $5, good for three years.

Our brand-new-this-year carry permit is only good for concealed carry. Funny thing, since the Westroads/Von Maur thing, applications for both have increased. And Westroads quietly took down the "No Weapons" signs.

xsquidgator

I would like to use it to skip the background check (again) and the $5 fee, but can't in FL.

But, in FL, I have used and like being able to buy a handgun without any irritating 3-day waiting period. Just walk in, do the paperwork and background check, pay and walk out with it!

Shadi Khalil

i dont really carry all that often, when i do its on a whim. i wish i could use it to skip the backround check.....the poll has so many choices (some redundent) kinda different...

Magyar

Skip the NICS check when purchasing a firearm.
Since I'm always in the aisles of gun shows and purchasing from private individuals, I also wasn't aware of this point...Nice to know...:)

bikerbill

I carry every day ... if I'm going someplace that's posted for no-carry, I keep a .38 Taurus 85 in my glove box. If I can carry where I'm going, which is most places, I leave the .38 home and carry a Kahr PM9 in a pocket or crossdraw holster.

---

when they kick at your front door, how you gonna come?
with your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?

JohnKSa

Administrator
Finally got back from the in-laws and checked the results.

Based on the folks I know with permits, I expected a much higher percentage to use their permits only for car carry.

I wonder what the results would be if this were given to ALL permit holders rather than just TFL'ers...

lockedcj7

anytime it's legal. Unfortunately, due to my job, I don't carry all that often. It would be illegal to keep the gun in my car at work so I don't have it with me M-F unless I go home first. Skipping the NICS is awesome.

RoscoeC

Well, I kind of screwed up. I checked carry all the time, when I should have checked carry anytime its legal. I don't carry in places where it is not legal to do so.

TheEgg

so i can carry even though i am a coward. If I had the strength of my convictions I would carry under the 2nd amendment alone.

Yellowfin

Carrying everywhere possible. I am soon to be married and consider it a duty to my family and loved ones, and in the future as a father. Like many others I will not live anywhere that right is not honored.

Camguy

I jujst got my Virginia CCL today ('course here it's a "CCW"). :D Tucked my 92 FS into my Safariland holster a six o'clock on my way to Kinki's to have the card laminated.

che_70b

My usual gun shop lets us use the CCL to skip the nics check but I have seen stores that don't. I recently bought a couple mosin nagants at a gun and pawn place and when I went to give them the CCL to surpas the call in they gave me an attitude about the appropriateness of doing that. After the check was done and I had paid they explained their logic. They said that I could have murdered someone the day before and still be carrying my CCL. :rolleyes:
I pointed out that if I had killed someone the day before it would not turn up on fed background check. Then I picked up my rifles and went home.