I think I know what I am going to buy.

grubbylabs

I think I have it narrowed down to a xd 45 comp. The only thing left to do is to shoot one and I think I will be able to here very shortly. Any last advise before I do?

XD Gunner

Buy lots and lots and lots of ammo. This gun will eat anything, and you'll want to feed it everything. Make sure you bring a LOT of ammo.

I shoot mine with the 10 round mag in, the 13 round mag feels weird after you've gotten used to the small one.

grubbylabs

I found a used one for 485.00 at a gun shop and there is everything there with it (three clips box etc etc...), I am just not sure I want a used gun this time around. It was a nice shooting gun. He would have let me put a box of ammo through it if I had wanted but I just wanted to see how it shot. It was really nice. If I decide I want to go used rout I will have to go down there with a new target and see how it hits.

What do you all think about a used one?

jreXD9

I had an xd45c and loved it. take him up on the offer to run a box thru it. it should run like a top. I'd have no qualms about buying a used gun. I've done it a few times with only one disappointment.

grubbylabs

MY only hesitation is I don't know the history of the gun and I kinda wanted one with a thumb safety. this one does not have one.

XD Gunner

What do you all think about a used one?

My XD40 was used, several thousand rounds later it still functions flawlessly.

I kinda wanted one with a thumb safety

Why? One more thing to put a false sense of security in and depend on to keep the gun from firing? Safety is between your eyes, not in a switch.

grubbylabs

While I understand what you are saying, I am very cautious with my guns any way as I have kids and I have seen first hand several time what happens to a family when a child finds a gun. I would feel a lot better knowing there was a safety on it.

XD Gunner

I would feel a lot better knowing there was a safety on it.

Again, I repeat what I first stated, do you think a kid doesn't know how to get a manual safety off? It's a flip of a switch. If it helps you have piece of mind then fine, but do not make it into something it's not. If there are kids in the house the gun damn well better be locked, with no way they can get to it.

I don't mean this to be preachy or holier than thou, or anything, just that no amount of manual switch safety will keep a kid, or an adult from discharging a firearm.

orionengnr

MY only hesitation is I don't know the history of the gun and I kinda wanted one with a thumb safety. this one does not have one.
Sounds as if you really don't know what you want. If you did your homework you would have known that the XD does dot have a thumb safety.

As far as "the history of the gun", come on. We are talking about a year or two year old, modern pistol made by Springfield, who has some of the best Customer Relations in the business.

We are not talking about a 50+ year old Mak or Luger, where the manufacturer is no longer around to support or repair it.

grubbylabs

Well orionengnr if you follow this link http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=156040054 You will find one with a thumb safety. Some times it is better to remain quit and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. I know what gun I want, I am just not sure if I want a used one or a new one. There are some advantages either way. And the last time I checked one of the perks of a new gun was a warranty, it is a mechanical devise that can fail. May bee not very often but it is a risk you have to take when you buy used. And the last time I checked guns were only warrantied to the original owner. So if there was a failure I would have to pay to get it fixed.

Lokpyrite

Don't know if the compacts come with safeties but the service model sure as hell does, got one on myh hip right now.

woad_yurt

We are not talking about a 50+ year old Mak or Luger, where the manufacturer is no longer around to support or repair it.

Your statement may be valid if Makarovs failed. Until that day comes, if it ever comes, please remember to speak hypothetically.

Last edited:

grubbylabs

So the 45 I looked at that is used does show some wear, it looks like it has been fired quite a bit, is this some thing I should worry about or should the gun be fine and is 485 a good price on a used one. It does have every thing that a new one comes with.

XD45Compact

I'm almost positive that the XD45 compact model (w/2 different sized magazines) don't come in a thumb safety model.

Also, 485 for a well-used model like you mentioned seems on the high side to me. You should be able to find a brand new one for in the $525-550 range?

Last edited:

XD45Compact

Just my opinion...and only because I just saw someone on the XD board just bought a thumb-safety tactical model NEW for $530...I'd say for the used one, with a lot of rounds through it....not much more than $400.

Also, here's a NEW 5" thumb-safety for $530:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/55470

Here's a 4" thumb-safety, NEW for $490:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/55469

I'd almost be inclined to say screw the used one, and just get a brand new one for the peace of mind of having a brand new one.

azredhawk44

Here's some advice:

See what your finger feels like after 100 rounds.

If it hurts... ask yourself "why?"

I don't care for the XD's trigger contour. The one in my safe (XD9) gives me a blister if I shoot more than 100 rounds through it.

Different styles of trigger contours will not result in that.

This isn't just the XD that does that: I've found Glocks do it too, or any gun with a "dingus" on the trigger.

I've also found that the fancier (supposedly better) 1911 triggers do this, whereas the base model "1991" triggers do not.

Something to consider: do serrations on the face of the trigger, or uneven surfaces on the face of the trigger, contribute to my shooting comfort, or not?