I shoot NATO rounds...

SHR970

A couple of other points to consider using only the calibers listed.

223 and 308 can both use the same powder over a range of projectiles; same goes for 9mm and 40 S&W. At the one pound size, you find what works well with both and makes you happy. Then you buy the 8 lb. jugs and you can see the savings.

Second and more salient point: Every few years we run into a panic shortage due to the make up of our executive and legislative branches. We saw this three years ago as the shelves were bare. Loaded and even components were scarce and the gouging was very evident (like $80 per 1k for primers). Assuming you are stocked on components, during these times you really see the cost benefit ratio. You can continue enjoying the sport when others are sidelined. This is when 223, 308, and 9 mm were impossible to find due to the ongoing conflicts abroad.

Beentown71

It is all rather intimidating. I have a good grasp on the mechanics but until I actually set up the press and start pulling the handle it is seems a bit daunting. I am sure once I get started it will be easy breezy. I think part of the confusion is the nomenclature and not being familiar with it. I do like the videos that Hornady has put on you tube which includes set up of the press.

Thanks again guys.

Jimro

You know the low cost of making accurate ammunition was what got me into reloading. I started off with a used single stage press, 10 dollar dies, and was able to tune a load for my Savage 10 Tactical that was less than half the cost of Fed GMM or Black Hills.

My last purchase of 5k 75gr BTHP .224 bullets was like passing an emotional kidney stone. I had planned on using it for a cross the course load, but I just got 600 80gr Hdy Amax bullets for the 600 yard line.

Buying in bulk definitely helped keep the per round cost down.

Jimro

Gerry

It is all rather intimidating.

It is, especially with the hundreds of pages devoted to the subject in reloading manuals, and the endless arguments on the finer details of the hobby on forums such as this one! :rolleyes:

In reality, it's a lot simpler than making bread. This is because with reloading, everything is measurable and mechanical. With bread, not only does the ambient humidity in the room determine how much water you must add, the feel and texture of the dough against your hand while kneading it determines how ready it is and what quality of bread it's going to make.

We have it easy. Believe me.

TriumphGuy

Speaking from the perspective of a person that reloads primarily to save money, if you're not looking for specialty loads, .223/5.56 and 9mm won't save you enough cash to make it worth your time. (At least not at the moment when ammo prices aren't through the roof.) The only reason that I reload 9mm anymore is to shoot at a local range that doesn't allow jacketed bullets.

.308 and .40 are another story though being that they're both more expensive to purchase off the shelf. Savings go up from there in direct proportion with the cost of the ammo off the shelf. A box of .45-70 costs about $35 locally and if I estimate $0.50 each to reload them, that's $25 a box I save.

ScottRiqui

The only reason that I reload 9mm anymore is to shoot at a local range that doesn't allow jacketed bullets.

Interesting restriction - is it some kind of a special-purpose range? Other than .22 rimfire, the selection of factory non-jacketed ammo seems like it would be pretty sparse.

TriumphGuy

It's at a private club. They say that it's because the steel backstop at 30 feet from the line makes for ricochets with jacketed bullets.

I'm pretty sure it's because the folks running the range assume that it will weed out a lot of the people that would abuse the range by only allowing those dedicated enough to reload their own ammunition on it. I'm not so sure about that bit, but at least it's never very busy when I want to use it.

zxcvbob

If you do the same thing with your reloads as you do with your current ammo you can either shoot better ammo for the same price, or have a lower-cost dual setup, but reloaded.
Example:
Plinking ammo.
Get once-fired MilSurp Brass.
Use pulled projectiles & bargain powder.

You can also use bargain basement powder and primers but still use premium projectiles, then work up an accuracy load for that combo. Should be able to come up with a cheap load tuned for your gun that outshoots most factory ammo -- including the good stuff. I've just started reloading for a rifle, and that's my eventual goal. (but right now I'm doing it backwards; cheap projectiles and expensive powder :eek:)

The only reason that I reload 9mm anymore is to shoot at a local range that doesn't allow jacketed bullets.
Interesting restriction - is it some kind of a special-purpose range? Other than .22 rimfire, the selection of factory non-jacketed ammo seems like it would be pretty sparse.

My local pistol range is like that. It doesn't really make sense, but it's their rules and I'm OK with it. They do also allow copper-plated ammo, or anything with "range safe" on the box.

brickeyee

Why would you only purchase 4 pounds of powder?

8 pounds jugs are out there, and buying four jugs (32 pounds of powder) spread the hazmat out to less than $1 a pound.

zxcvbob

I think he just priced 4 pounds because that's about what it takes to load 1000 rounds. (and it looks like the 4 x 1-pound rate)

kxkid

I did my calculations and I can reload 223 for 4 bucks a box of 20. Localy that's over 50% savings since 8 is the cheapest American eagle, which is never in stock and 10 a box for wwb.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Beentown71

I think he just priced 4 pounds because that's about what it takes to load 1000 rounds. (and it looks like the 4 x 1-pound rate)

Yep, dang newbs ;)

I also chose Varget (more expensive) because I have read it is a good all around powder for various 5.56 loads.

IMHO best site on the net for all gun related discussions. Thanks again fellas!

ScottRiqui

I looked it up when I first saw his post, and it appears he's correct - the rule comes from the Maryland State Fire Marshall regulations. Anything over five pounds of smokeless powder requires a license. It also appears that you can't store powder in "multifamily dwellings, apartments, dormitories, hotels, schools, other public buildings, or buildings or structures open for public use."

§ 11-105. License required; exceptions.

(a) In general.- Except as otherwise provided in this subtitle, a person shall obtain a license issued under this subtitle before the person engages in business as a manufacturer or dealer, possesses explosives other than explosives for use in firearms, or possesses or stores explosives for use in firearms in the State.

(b) License to engage in business as dealer required.-

(1) A person shall obtain a license to engage in business as a dealer under this subtitle before the person engages in the business of loading or reloading small arms ammunition in the State.

(2) The owner or operator of a mine, quarry, or other operation or business that uses explosives, or a contractor who performs work that uses explosives, shall obtain a license to engage in business as a dealer under this subtitle.

(c) Exceptions - Armed forces and others handling explosives.- This section does not apply to the armed forces of the United States, the National Guard, the State Guard, or officers or employees of the United States, the State, or a local subdivision of the State who are authorized to handle explosives in the performance of their duties.

(d) Same - Possession of explosives for use in firearms.-

(1) Subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, a person need not obtain a license to possess or store up to 5 pounds of smokeless powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition, and up to 5 pounds of black powder for the loading or reloading of small arms ammunition or for use in the loading of antique arms or replicas of antique arms, if the smokeless powder and black powder are stored in their original shipping containers and are possessed only for personal use in firearms.

(2) A person may not possess or store explosives for use in firearms in any quantity in multifamily dwellings, apartments, dormitories, hotels, schools, other public buildings, or buildings or structures open for public use.

(3) Notwithstanding paragraph (2) of this subsection, the State Fire Marshal may issue a permit to allow temporary possession of explosives for use in firearms in a building or structure open for public use.

sc928porsche

One thing that you should keep in mind, is once you have your press etc. To change to a different cartridge all you need is a set of dies and maybe a shell holder depending on the dies you buy or the case head size. Some cartridges can be loaded with the same powder, some can be loaded with the same bullet, and some can be loaded with the same primer.

brickeyee

Now let the try to enforce the limit in a private single family house.

And not it is 5 pounds, not 4.

The entire rest of the law still needs to be reviewed for applicability.

ScottRiqui

wogpotter said that five pounds was the limit, so I'm not sure who you're correcting.

Whether the law is actively enforced or not, that's not the issue. It's still there, so now you have your answer - in Maryland, you're required to obtain a license before storing more than five pounds of smokeless powder for reloading purposes.