I shall fear 12-gauge recoil no more.

ronin308

Dave is absolutely correct. Positioning will alleviate the recoil on nearly any 12 GA in existence. Most of the time when people say that 12 gauges beat them up its because they hold it incorrectly. Gadgetry is no replacement for dilligent practice and study.

gorlitsa

The first shotgun I shot was a 12-guage, and I loved it. That gun and I got along very well. It pushed me back a bit, and it had a good bite, but it was fun! IMO, 12-gauge lets you know you're shooting something. :)

Powderman

I don't think that "gadgetry" is the right word to describe a valuable addition to a firearm. Valuable, you might ask?

Sure, it is. Let me explain...........

If you buy a plain-jane .45 1911A1, and desire to use it for duty and/or daily carry, you might leave it like it is. Or, you might take it to a good pistolsmith to have Bo-Mar sights, or maybe Trijicon sights mounted. Of course, the beavertail, ckeckered mainspring housing, lowered and scalloped port, full length guide rod, hard-fitted match barrel of your choice, and trigger job to about 4.0 lb.

Is that gadgetry? I don't think so.

You might buy a rifle, and want it to shoot its best. So, here comes the custom barrel of choice, along with blueprinting the action, lapping the lugs, mounting a light stock, and depending on the caliber the scope of your choice. And, not a cheap scope either. Perhaps a Nikon, maybe a Leupold, Schmidt & Bender, Kahles, Swarovski, you name it.

Is that gadgetry? Doubt it.

So, let's say that I buy a shotgun.

I'm not worried about looks here, so I will not have a stock and forend blank hand fashioned from Circassian walnut, thank you very much.

I am aware that length of pull is important, of course. Too long, or too short will allow the shotgun to kick the poo-poo out of you--like my shotgun did when I fired a 3-inch Magnum slug through it with the factory stock mounted. Since I have very long arms, I deduced that the length of pull was too short.

Since I did not have access to a gunsmith with a try-stock, I selected the Hogue Comp-Stock. Nope--it's not pretty. Nope--it's not designed for a trap gun. It would have a lot of the PC shotgunners on Sundays turn their heads. But you know what?

I don't care one bit.

You see, I use that very ugly (to some people) Winchester Defender for one reason, and one reason only. That is, to place in a patrol car, where I might have to fire it in defense of my life, or someone else's life.

And, so, not having the money right now or the time to send off to Vang-Comp, I chose that CompStock.

Guess what?

I can now fire that shotgun with buck and slug mixed as fast as I can cycle the action--which, with the Winchester recoil-assist, is pretty durned fast.

At 50 yards, I can keep 8 3-inch 12 gauge 1 1/4 ounce slugs inside a 4 inch circle, rapid fire. The sights don't even move from the circle I'm aiming into.

Yep, my gadget works. Sorry if you don't like it.

Hey, Oleg---buy the doggoned Comp Stock.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Powderman,if you can shoot like you say you can, and I've no reason to doubt you, it's more you than the Compstock. Don't be so modest.

And, for folks sensitive to recoil, it may be quite helpful, IF they have good form and a reasonable fit.A Compstock may indeed be a valuable addition to a fine firearm, but...

My 45 carry gun has BoMars, match bbl, checkered everything,4 lb trigger, etc. I shoot it rather well for an old guy. But, if decades of practice and good form were not behind me, it would be a different story altogether....

Edward429451

SO if proper fit reduces recoil, and length of pull is everything (so to speak, and after proper form), how do you measure length of pull correctly? Imeasured LOP on my sons 870 express youth 20, and I got 13 1/2" (from trigger to end of recoil pad.) I must be doing it wrong if you (Dave) got 12 /1/2". ??, ours is factory stock.

Now I dont have a recoil problem, I just ignore it like the good col. said. But proper form and fit would explain alot. My buddy that came visiting awhile back said my 870 kicks like a mule, I laughed at him because I know better (for myself.)

Powderman

I just read my reply. Dave, my apologies if I sounded a bit short.

I assure you that I am no master of the combat shotgun. Rather, I wrote that to illustrate the recoil reducing properties of the CompStock. And, believe me, the recoil before I installed it was no joke--and nothing that I could ignore.

When I first fired the arm with a 3" slug, all I remember was a stroboscopic blue/white flash from the 18 inch barrel before I found myself hopping backward on one foot with the weapon pointed almost straight up to prevent myself from falling on my butt.

After the installation, I fired the rest of those 3-inchers in the manner described above. Incredible would not describe the amount of recoil reduction that was present.

That day, I fired a total of 35 3-inch, 1 1/4 ounce magnum slugs (Federal). No discomfort, at all!! Felt like shooting my M1A--and I rung the 100 yard gong more than once since I was able to concentrate on my sights and my trigger, and not worry about if my shoulder was going to dislocate on the next shot. :)

Again, my apologies for firing off.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Powder, no offense taken. As Great Uncle Salvatore would say, "Fuggedaboudit"...

Ed, getting old is H*ll. I went and measured the Youth Express. From center of trigger to center of pad(The standard) is 12 15/16". Call it 13 inches. I had changed the pad to a Decellerator at some pouint in the past. 12 1/2" is the LOP on Son's NEF single. Sorry about the confusion.

Proper fit is more than just LOP. Drop, cast, pitch, etc, all play a part. When I started shooting trap, I moved the pad to add some toe out and canted the pad to fit my shoulder. Results were thought provoking. The M/C stock on the TB felt so good I added its clone to Frankenstein, and the rounds I've shot with it have been quite satisfactory, other than one round of 5 stand mentioned elsewhere.

The may not be a popular opinion, but I think a part of recoil probs is psychological. If we think it'll hurt us, it'll hurt us.

And,I'm a pragmatist when it comes to shotgunning, especially "Serious" shotgunning. Whatever is takes is good, proper, kosher and so on. But, I doubt the stuff can be utilized to its potential if fit and form are not up to snuff.

Once those are OK,ANYTHING that works is permitted in my universe(G). The key word there is "Works". Some stuff is just junk. The Compstock seems to be a good tool. Might get one myself and do a T&E.