I rescued a P226 from being pawned

HisSoldier

I'm happy to hear that the pawn shop didn't get it, I've been watching 'Pawn Stars'. They always ask what the seller wants for it, and no matter what they say the pawn broker offers half or less. I understand business, being in business myself, but the way they do it seems sleazy to me.

Skans

I'm happy to hear that the pawn shop didn't get it, I've been watching 'Pawn Stars'. They always ask what the seller wants for it, and no matter what they say the pawn broker offers half or less. I understand business, being in business myself, but the way they do it seems sleazy to me.

The pawn business is what it is. But, I don't see any problem with the pawn shop owner asking the person what he wants for it. When a vendor sells goods to Walmart, they don't go "what'll ya gimme for it?". If you're selling something, it's up to you to know what you should get for it. In any event, most folks selling anything of value to a pawn shop are simply being lazy and foolish.

If I had to liquidate a collection of guns that I didn't want (assuming that they are reasonably valuable and assuming that I'm not a "gun person"), I'd contact Rock Island Auction and arange to have them auctioned off through them. That's a lot easier and safer than dickering with a bunch of pawn shop owners.

BigJimP

I have a pawn shop in my area / and he's a good one ...

He will typically offer about 75% to the seller for what he can sell it for - and that's way better than a lot of places like Cabelas where they typically offer you 66% of what they expect to sell it for. I think 75% is fair / if you don't want the trouble of selling a gun - he has to pay overhead, insurance, etc - and that gives him a little wiggle room.

Jim Watson

Wholesale = 75% is not a bad deal if you are in a hurry. Most pawn shops loan only 50% and they are sure of getting either loan interest or your stuff. Buying, it is usually less.

BigJimP

75% was when he's buying a gun he wants / is confident he can sell it after the 30 day wait .... I think you're right on a loan / I don't think he goes over 50%. But on a few premium guns / I've seen him go as high as 85% of what he knows he can sell it for .... for a good clean gun that is virtually sold the day it comes out.

But he's an unusual pawn shop ... probably 75 shotguns in stock ( Perazzi, Krieghoff, Browning, Beretta etc ), about 25 1911's ( Baer, Brown, Kimber ), probably 200 misc handguns Sig, Beretta, S&W, Springfield, etc - and easily 100 rifles ... Its my favorite toy store / and he'll order whatever you want from Wilson Combat, Sig, etc .... and a nice family run operation. For repeat customers he likes - he'll often sell at 10% over his cost on special orders / prepaid of course.

If you're selling something, it's up to you to know what you should get for it. In any event, most folks selling anything of value to a pawn shop are simply being lazy and foolish.

I agree. I have nothing against Pawn Shops. And in this case, I think the guy was simply lazy. So much so that I don't think he even wanted to go to the pawn shop. The way he approached me, I definitely think he just wanted to unload it on me.

(I know it's not hot by the way, as it has been run through the police dept because we have to register handguns here in LV)

He has been mentioning it to me for some time that he wanted to sell it for $600 and I know that was a good deal but I wasn't in the market for anything like this. He never listed it on a gunsite or in the paper or anything. When he said he wanted $500 or he was gonna pawn it, I said "what the hell". I figure I can get what I put into it if I decide I don't like it. If I do like it, I got a great deal on it.