I rescued a P226 from being pawned

A guy I know mentioned to me that he was going to take this Sig P226 to the pawn shop because he needed some quick cash. I couldn't bear to pass it up at what he offered, so I thought I would give it a try.

It's a Stainless P226. I am unable to find this exact model on Sig's website. Anything you guys can tell me about this gun?

IMG_6420.jpg

IMG_6418.jpg

This is my first Sig. I like it, but it's a bit bigger and heavier than I am used to in a handgun. Can't wait to take it shooting.

DBAR

P226 Stainless.

It's your typicaly P226, except this one is all stainless. Most P226's have an aluminum alloy frame, making them lighter, and more friendly for carry. It looks like a fine gun. How much?

DBAR

Chris_B

In practical terms, is the stainless model that much heavier than the standard alloy frame? My alloy framed P226 is a touch heavy for what it is to start with. The weight makes a pistol a little easier to shoot overall anyway IMO

Anyway, I think the SS framed P226 will be great to shoot. My alloy frame P226 is really nice to shoot, fo me anyway, but having the weight all on top of your hand felt weird in recoil at first- I'm used to steel frames

It's a 9mm. I paid $500. I wouldn't have bought it but I thought that was a good deal and I doubt the pawn shop would have given him anymore than that.

That said, yes it is heavy. It is my heaviest gun. Keep in mind, I am a Glock guy and my heaviest gun was a Dan Wesson Commander 1911 before this one.

We'll see how I like it over time. I have mixed feelings about it. I know it will work well. I am just looking for a spot for it in my "practical" mind. I see handguns as CCW weapons and this is my heaviest and largest pistol now.

BigJimP

Sig quit making the 226 in all stainless - about 3 yrs ago in their regular 226 lineup of guns ....but I picked up a couple about that time ( one in 9mm / one in .40S&W ) for about $1,000 each new in box. At the time they were listing new in box for about $1,200.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=56972&d=1266006588 Here's mine ....... ( and an X-Five in .40 with the wood grips).

Today the all stainless 226 model - has been moved to the X-Five lineup / where its called an all around selling for about $ 1,400 now ( but its the same gun ).

Yes, the all stainless models are a little heavier ( around 7 or 8 oz ) but to me that is a plus / they shoot a little better being heavier.. I think you made a great buy / and a very good gun ...that will easily sell in my area, if its clean, for close to $1,000 used.

gearchecker

You got a very fine handgun for an excellent price.
Get used to shooting it. The weight of the stainless will absorb so much of the 9mm recoil that you will be amazed how pleasent it is to shoot.
It took me a while to get used to the decocker on the Sig compared to my S&W but after messing with it for a day I learned trust it. The 226 is just about everything that Sig wanted to put in a pistol. They built it well, and it'll hold up thru most anything you'll ever put it thru.

You did really well on your purchase. Enjoy it and post a range report when you get the chance. Let me know if you decide to sell it.

BigJimP

Don't sell it to David the Gnome ....call me ...

( I can always use another one ...$ 550 ??)...maybe even more ...

DBAR

Today the all stainless 226 model - has been moved to the X-Five lineup / where its called an all around selling for about $ 1,400 now ( but its the same gun ).

I don't think that's completely correct. I thought the X 5 All Around, and the rest of the X 5 variants where all made in Germany. All of the X 5's I've seen have different sights, and their suppose to be made out of the Custom shop in Germany. Maybe I'm wrong?

DBAR

Uncle Malice

DBAR, you are correct(I'm not sure if they are made out of Germany or Exeter custom shop though).

The X-Five guns are very different than the regular 226 guns. different triggers, different frames, there's very few things that are actually the same.

The P226 Elite Stainless is closer to the original, with a better trigger, beavertail, front cocking serrations, and night sights.

I have the P220 Stainless Elite that I love(have a P229 Stainless Elite on order- fully paid off!), and I would greatly enjoy this standard P226 stainless.... I would like to have both styles with/without the beavertail.

BigJimP

I think you're incorrect guys on the "All Around Sig X-Five" - and it is confusing - but if you look at the specs on the high end X-Five with the adj trigger, Single Action only, thumb safety ( its unique ) - but the "All Around" has the same DA/SA trigger as my older Sig all stainless 226 ...

I think its just marketing / doesn't change the fact that the sig All Stainless that the OP found is a good gun ... just where its found in the current lineup.

DBAR

I believe that all of the X5's are made in Germany. The All Around is the X5 with a DA/SA, and no adjustable trigger. It is different than the P226 out of Exeter. I know it has different sights, and I'm sure there is more to it than marketing hype. I've been wrong before, maybe you can share with me where your getting your information from. Never mind, I'm going to go look them up.

DBAR

BigJimP

Sig website:

X-Five ( top end model ) all stnls, SAO, adj trigger list $ 2926

Comp model X-five - but no adj trigger ( still SAO, all stnls ) list $ 2100

Tactical model X-five ( alloy frame, still SAO) list $ 1800

All Around ( DA/SA trigger, all stainless ) .. list price $ 1800 ( but the X-Five all around, does have the adj rear target sight - so it is different from the OP's Sig he found / or my all stainless 226's like his ) - mine have standard sig nite sights ... but the sights are the only difference..... sorry :D

Skans

It's a 9mm. I paid $500.

You got a great deal on it. I was trying to buy one exactly like that a couple of years ago used, but in excelent condition, for $700 - lost out to someone who agreed to pay slightly more. Before Sig came out with the X-Five series (or right around that time), they made some models that they just called "all stainless".

It's basically the same as the Sig X-Five, except it hasn't been accurized by the factory, doesn't have the beveled/extended mag-well (can be added) and has a fixed sight. I even check into seeing if Sig sold the adjustable trigger for install into these guns - unfortunately it doesn't. But, you can get the SRT (short reset trigger) for it.

Anyway, congratulations on an excelent purchase! You won't be dissapointed.

DBAR

but the sights are the only difference.....

The P226 X-Five Allround has the different sights, extended slide for a 5" barrel, extended frame, Beavertail, and I'm sure it has more.

I don't think the Allround is made out of the Master Shop, but the others that BigJimP listed are made in the Master Shop out of Germany. Regardless RockyMtnTactical found a good deal on a very nice handgun. I just had to satisfy my curiosity.

DBAR

BigJimP

To make it a little more aggravating ....the top end X-Five with the adj trigger is not available right now ( they say they will have a few by August 2010 ) ....

I have one in .40S&W now ( have had it for 4 or 5 yrs ) and I put a 9mm X-Five on order last week ...but I'll be lucky to have it before late summer...

I have seen the X-Five Tactical and the X-Five Competition models in a couple of my local shops and on the internet ... I have not seen an "All Around" model for sale locally ..