I REALLY like lever guns, but should I like this one?

Mystro

375 Winchester is very expensive ammo. Like $50.00 for the cheap stuff and $95.00 for the better stuff.

hornetguy

The 375 winchester is a great round/rifle combination. It's got more smack than the 30-30, but doesn't thump you like the 444 and the 45-70.
I had one for a while, then traded up to a 45-70, but the 375 has plenty of punch, and is pretty accurate. It's great with cast bullets.
If you reload, and can't find brass (usually not a problem), you can blow out 30-30 brass and use that until you can buy the official stuff.
Do a google search for articles by Paco Kelly... he's written some good stuff about the 375.
Get it...

McShooty

The downrange p

The .308 Marlin Express has a neck/shoulder shape quite similar to that of the .308 Win, but, ballistically, it is closer to the .300 Savage. Hornady uses the LeverEvolution technology for the .308 ME, a soft-pointed spitzer bullet with Hodgdon LE powder, which results in down-range performance far superior to any .30-30 load, including the LE .30-30. If you send the 160-gr spitzer out of a .308 ME at 2,660 fps (2,513 fp muzzle energy), it will arrive at 300 yards still travelling 2,026 fps with 1,457 lb of kinetic energy. If it is sighted in to be 1.7" high at 100 yds, it will arrive at 300 yds only 6.7" low. This is really outstanding performance for a cartridge short enough to work in the Marin Lever Action. I have BTW, duplicated this performance in the .300 Savage by using th 160-gr Hornady FTX bullet with Hodgdon LeverEvolution powder.

Sure Shot's Idea for a Happy 308 Relationship.

FWIW: Save your money. Forget the Marlin. If wanting a lever rifle with 308 performance. Simple resolve. Buy a lever rifle that shoots 308s.

Look to: Browning's BLR 81. Whats not to like about a Browning's capability. It's being Clip fed. Shoot's common easy to find ammo. Any 308 bullet weight you can purchase off the shelf functions. Perhaps all are disappointments to some others. Please !!__Why spend the time looking at a want-a-be 308 lever rifle when the real Mc Coy are available. Marlin as far as I'm concerned. Are just ~~~marlin's!! Everyone should at the very least own (only) one in their lifetime.

Dr. A

I agree about preferring a 308, but the BLR's terrible trigger was a limiting factor for me. I have both of them. No contest for accuracy either.

tahoe2

94 Big Bore

But then I'm a 375 fan, which is also a reloading proposition, the 308 ME is no slouch either, but I hunt a lot of tight timbers and love my 375.
that 308 Express will reach out a lot further though. It's all about reloading with either one. :D

Quincunx

Winchester tried the 307 win and 356 win, which were basically a rimmed 308 and 358 loaded with round nose bullets back in the 1970's.

Flatnose, actually.

jennyfell55

So I'm a bit late on this, but wanted to add my two cents. I purchased a Marlin 308MX several years ago, and I couldn't be happier. I've never had a problem finding ammo for it as long as I stick to the larger stores, and occasionally find it at smaller shops as well. Never had to pay more than about $26 for 20 of the 160gr LEVERevolution rounds. It's more accurate than I am, and a joy to shoot. Very mild recoil which is a nice bonus :D I love the combination of traditional lever action looks with the ability to reach out and touch further out than a 30-30 :D

Attachments

• Marlin smaller.jpg
    Marlin smaller.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

1ruralmailman

i have a 308mx and love it.it is accurate,way more than i am,and capable of really reaching out there when called on.to those who think it is just a jazzed Up 30-30,well i suppose it is,but it is way jazzed.they deliver a knockdown punch that has to be seen to appreciate.
as to availability of ammo that is the one bite in the pants.i just reload and bought enough components to last my lifetime.heck have you found any 243,or even 22 shells lately at a gunstore,i havent and i have looked fairly regularly.

Oh dear...

The purpose of leverguns is short & handy. Long ones defeat the purpose.

The cartridge is dead, for good reason (just a re-branded .307 win ain't it, in essence?)

Either one of those is sufficient reason to pass, but particularly the first one.

YMMV.

dgludwig

The purpose of leverguns is short & handy. Long ones defeat the purpose.

Where did you come up with this "definition" of a lever-action rifle? "Defeats the purpose" of what? Many lever-action rifles of the past, certainly including the Winchester Model 88, the Sako Finnwolf, the Browning BLR and the Savage Model 99, have been chambered successfully in relatively long-range cartridges that perform every bit as well as equivalent bolt-action rifles-and with the same length barrels. And lever-actions have no corner on carbines.
A hearty welcome to The Firing Line, Unlicensed Dremel.

Ahhh, well, fair enough. I must agree with that. Hmmm, lemme think about why I feel that levers are intrinsically short/handy (or should be).. then get back with ya. Maybe I'm way off base. :)