I pulled the trigger 6.5 creed

std7mag

Boogie,
Pretty much any bullet you'd use for deer will work for black bear.
Myself, i'm planning on using a 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip in the 280 Rem on Saturday when PA bear season opens.

Still would love a review on your scope!

BoogieMan

@std7mag- scope came in yesterday. Picture is crystal clear right to the edge. I can read a newspaper from 60ft out. Controls are smooth and the detects on win/elev are crisp. Came with flip up covers and honeycomb anti glare shield. I'll have more info after I'm able to get a range day in. Ill be in Tioga PA next Friday. I dont anticipate any issues with optic. If you are interested, I'm a dealer for USO. I can beat everyone else's price. Cant advertise at lower price.

Last edited:

eastbank

I bought a Kimber hunter in 3006 and put a 2-7x leupold scope on it, bringing up to 6.5 lbs. I bought the 3006 as I ,m set up to load for several 3006,s, shooting a 150 gr nosler BT at 2800 in the 3006 gives up very little to a 140 gr bullet in the 6.5 cm at 2800 fps out to 500 yards.

bamaranger

kimber

eastbank,

That sounds like a very easy carrying, portable hunting rifle in a very common sense caliber. As I posted earlier, the Kimber Hunter has been singing to me for some time. I passed a real deal up about a year or so on one in .308 and still regret it.

Though I commented that I would not refuse a Hunter in 6.5CM, truth is it would be more practical in .243/.308 as I am set up to load those calibers, just as you indicated with your choice of'06. BTW, the 2-7x Leupold is a dandy choice in my book as well.

Coming back to 6.5CM, bamaboy just bought a Ruger American Predator. Against my advice, he restocked it with a MagPul, and topped it off with a big bell scope and a Christmas tree reticle. But he's not looking for a hunting rifle, he's thinking down the lines of Practical Rifle competition. I will no doubt get to shoot his 6.5CM and am looking forward to it.

BIGR

I bought a Kimber hunter in 3006 and put a 2-7x leupold scope on it, bringing up to 6.5 lbs. I bought the 3006 as I ,m set up to load for several 3006,s, shooting a 150 gr nosler BT at 2800 in the 3006 gives up very little to a 140 gr bullet in the 6.5 cm at 2800 fps out to 500 yards.

Hard to beat the good ole 30.06, it gets the job done along with tons of other cartridges. I once thought I needed a 6.5 Creedmoor and almost ordered a left hand Ruger FTW, but about that time the 6.5 PRC came out and I thought I would wait. I never purchased either one and decided to just use what I already have for deer season 2019. This year I used my trusty Model 700, 7MM Magnum to take a decent 8 point buck at a range of 20 yards. At that range a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 6.5 whizbang cartridge would not have killed that 8 point any better. One of my four 30.06's would have done the job just as well as the 7MM magnum. If you really like the 6.5 Creedmoor then that's fine use it, but there are no magical powers about it like some people believe. :) If you study up on the 6.5 Creedmoor it was originally designed to be a long range target round, which it does live up to those expectations. Also it seems that it is going to be a pretty good hunting round for deer and others critters.

All that being said, it can be mind boggling when a person starts thinking about all the cartridges and calibers that are available today, wow. One comes out, like the Creedmoor and another company says I will raise you one and do even better with my new cartridge. Then another company ups the ante and try's to top that. Don't get me wrong its very nice to have a huge selection to choose from. People will have their favorites, its like trucks, some people like Chevys, some Dodge some Fords and some Toyota. If you like it and are happy, then it does not matter what others think. :)

ndking1126

Lots of Fantastic Choices

Boogieman, lots of great choices already mentioned and you'll just have to see what your rifle likes.

But, I'd like to throw Federal Fusion into the mix. Those are as accurate and consistent as any ammo I've tried. And to sweeten the deal, they are one of the cheaper bullets you can buy. My 270 (Shilen match barrel) puts they almost on top of each other at 100 yards when I do my part. My dad's Savage 10 BA LE in 308 does about the same. My cousin has been hunting with them for years with his 300WM and he's never had a problem with the bullet doing its job. Lots of dead deer that fell very close to where they were shot. I'm really not sure why Federal doesn't charge more for them, but I'm thankful they don't! Haha. The one down side is they don't have the highest BC in the world, so they aren't the best choice for when the shots start getting over 400 yards or so.

kilotanker22

Prime example of competition breeding innovation. It's a fact of life, and this industry is no different. Otherwise I guess it would be boring