I need an inexpensive, rock solid reliable snubby...

defjon

What am I to do? Something that is of high quality, workmanship, rock solid reliable...but easy on the ole wallet. Recomendations?

defjon

Oh, and platform...eh...I am thinking the most likely candidate to be (preferably) 38 +p. Can shoot the lower powered/priced stuff,and stoke it with the better +p defense rounds when needed.

VirgilCaine

Taurus Model 85. Should come in under $300. +P rated, fit and finish is excellent, and a great selection of holsters out there for it. Many variations to choose from within that model.

Good Luck

Since you don't mention size, I'd say a used S&W Model 10 2".

These can often be found for around $300, offer six shots, and are the paragon of reliability.

XavierBreath

If you can go a five holer, almost any used Model 60 will come in around $250, as will a M649 and M49. If you want the most gun for the least money, you need to look at the used rack.

Tacoma

Any steel /SS S&W J frame will take occasional +P. ( mod 36, 49, 60, 640, 649,..) If you want to shoot allot of +P get a post 96' sample ( with J mag frame) . The J mag alloy framed models ( 638,642, 442,etc) will handle +P regularly but will recoil considerably harder. Used S&W's are common in the $200-$325 range and would be my choice over any new Taurus. The Sp 101's are nice but are much heavier /bulkier than the S&W J framed snubbies. Weight is comforting when you shoot it but is something to consider if CC is in the plan.

"almost any used Model 60 will come in around $250, as will a M649 and M49"

I'd KILL to be able to find a Model 49 for $250...

"How about a 2.5" S&W M19/66?"

If he can find one in his price range, great.

But, at least here in Northern Virginia, over the past couple of years the magnums are normally $100 and more OVER the price of their .38 Spl. counterparts.

mokster

sp 101 is a great choice would like to get one myself in 357. I have a model 60 that I picked up for $200 and it would meet your needs and is a little less expensive.

Jkwas

Taurus 605. A fine little piece.;)
H_605SS.jpg

LH2

If you're not gonna pocket carry, then SP101. Otherwise a Taurus ultralight should do it without breaking the bank. ;)