I need advice on ammo - Range & Home Defense

Slimjim9

RAfiringline said:
The problem is, I don't know of any other source of competent systematic testing that compares to what this guy has been doing that addresses ~4" barrels.
So, with the available info, I think Critical Defense tested as an effective SD ammo that minimizes the risk to innocent bystanders due to overpenetration.

I would have no problem using Critical Defense in my Glock 19, but this video was one of the sources that pushed me towards the Win Train&Defend. With the heavy 147s, performance difference from 3" vs 4" barrels is not as great as lighter bullets.

hub1home

White Box Crap?

I have always used Winchester (White Box) FMJ, 115Gr. So I've been to the range 4 times in the past two weeks still using Winchester. Then I read somewhere that it was crap.

I have been using white box Winchester for many years in both .45 and 9 mm. I have never had a single problem with it. The problem is that most people are 'hollow point' crazy. They don't like FMJ.

9x18_Walther

Then I read somewhere that it was crap.

You will find people arguing for and against Remington UMC, Winchester White Box, and Federal Champion. All are pretty much equal when it comes to bargain brand ammunition. Some will say one is cleaner or more accurate than the other but it usually boils down to personal preference.

Does it go boom when you pull the trigger? If the answer is yes (which it is for the three aforementioned brands), then I don't see a problem.

One thing to note about bargain brand ammunition is that the quality from one box to another can vary. I'm pretty sure many of the ammunition companies contract out the manufacturing to other corporations or source components depending on market factors. Some Winchester (not marked Made in the USA) is made by S&B (I think), and Federal Champion sometimes uses a FMJ bullet and other times has a plated bullet.

Ammo fired from a longer barrel might tend to overpenetrate, as compared to his test through a 3" barrel. However, his tests showed that Critical Defense expanded well and mostly stayed at the lower end of the desired 12"-18" window in the gel tests - probably little risk of overpenetration from my barrel lengths.

Counterintuitively, the exact opposite tends to be true. JHPs overpenetrate when they don't expand - and the most common reasons for failure to expand are (1) the cavity gets plugged with debris, or (2) insufficient velocity. Bullet design helps with the first, and barrel length helps with the second. Furthermore, #2 above often has a lot to do with #1.

The reason I find STB's tests so valuable is because most of the more famous brands like Gold dots were designed for duty pistols, and not the 3" pocket guns people like to carry these days.

For your purposes, most of the big names - Gold dot, PDX1, Ranger T, HST, Critical Defense - should be fine.

Last edited:

WVsig

For range ammo, back before I was reloading, I personally like to shoot 124gr bullets from the cheapest source for factory source. RWS, Greco, Fiocchi, Sellier & Bellot & IMI can all be found these days shipped to you in 1000 round cases for about $200 give or take. I like to shoot 124 because that is what I shoot as a defense load in most of my guns.

The only guns I shoot heavier bullets is in shorter barrel guns. I think barrels under 3" do better with 147gr bullets. It is my understanding at standard pressure they make better use of the powder in 147gr bullets then 124gr. +P at that barrel length leaves the barrel too quickly to build to higher pressures. The larger slower round is more effective IIRC.

As far as a defense load pick one of the major brands, Speer Gold Dots, Winchester Ranger, Federal HST etc... The improvements in 9mm hollow points in the last 5-10 years has really closed the gap between the best and the worst performers. The important factor is to make sure your defensive gun of choice shoots your ammo of choice. You can go +P if you want but I do not think it is as necessary as it used to be.

Look for a dealer like SGammo http://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammunition/9mm-luger-ammo

Who sells 50 round boxes and buy and assortment until you settle on one then buy it in bulk and stack it deep.

Cyanide971

Another +1 for SG Ammo, and for me anyways, their main competitor, Ammunition Depot.

I also buy in bulk from Freedom Munitions, and was delighted when they recently released a 9mm 135gr FMJ offering, as it is dang near identical to POA/POI with the Hornady Critical Duty I generally carry (I also use 147gr XTP and 124gr HST).

As others have said, with modern HP loadings performance has increased greatly. It's more a matter of what functions best in your particular firearm and, which one that you as an individual shoot the best with.

Last edited:

Worc

Before I started to re-load, I would used pretty much any popular brand of 115 gr or 124 gr FMJ's. I've never messed with the steel case loads and very little re-man stuff.

For a defensive rounds I like the Federal HST 124gr round the best but, like the Cor Bon 115gr DPX quite a bit as well.

DA/SA Fan

First you need to choose a good SD ammo FOR YOUR PARTICULAR GUN. The bullet weight and design needs to feed flawlessly and be the right speed to penetrate and expand to your satisfaction. Look for YouTube and written tests of loads that you think are a good match for your barrel length and gun type. if you find one that looks good try it to make sure it works perfectly in you gun. When you have the right defensive ammo you need to look for the cheapest ball ammo that duplicates it as closely as possible as far as feel and recoil. This doesn't necessarily need to be 100% reliable But this will be for SD practice. Aside from that get the cheapest ball of any weight, (usually 115 grain) just for sending sheer numbers down range for fun. Easy Peasy!:D