I may buy an Arcus 98DA and 98DAC opinions wanted

dmt411

I have been looking into the Arcus 98 pistols, can not find anyone around that has ever had one in their hand. From what I read from others that own them they are quite happy and would not part with them. I am looking for anyone with hands on experience and opinions. Any other mainstream gun that is similar in fit and feel to the Arcus pistols?

I also really like the fit and feel of the CZ P01 and think I should just go with what I know fits my hand good.

Thanks for the info.

Hansam

I love it!

On their products page they have the following categories:

Ammo, Fuses, Firearms and Grenade Launchers!

I want to buy a grenade launcher and some fuses for various ordinances!!!:D

Seriously though I've seen a couple of Arcus 9x19 SA pistols in my favorite gun shop but even the shop owner couldn't tell me much about them.

Having handled them though I'd have to say that fit and finish leaves much to be desired however they seem to be fairly well put together. At around $370 they're not necessarily a bad buy but till I hear more firsthand accounts of them I'm not going to take the gamble.

Coltman 77

Never heard of Arcus and I've been shooting for 35 yrs. :eek:

I'd suggest you buy something that fits your hand and that you can shoot well from a major manufacturer with a good warranty OP.

Colt, S&W, HK, Walther (PPS, PPQ), Beretta 92FS/M9, etc.

I have no experience with CZ products but they seem to be well liked.

Don't try to save money on a handgun you may need to defend your life or your family's. Wait and save if necessary.

Good luck.

dmt411

Thanks Te Auau, good to hear from an owner and glad you are happy.

Hansam, I have been to their web page and got a kick out of the ammo, fuses, grenade launchers... They have been making weapons in Bulgaria for about 40 years and got into small arms. Arcus supplies Bulgaria's military and police as well as the newly formed Iraqi police.

Thanks for the advice Coltman, a good point to have here, and I agree with you for a carry or defense should be with something proven and the money one could save is pretty worthless if your life is depending on it. I should clarify, I am not necessarily looking for a money savings but something unique and fun to shoot at the range. It would not be fun if every third round is jammed or FTF.

Arcus offers a 2 year warranty, guess i will have to run 10k in the first year and see if it breaks. After that maybe I can depend on it for more than range shooting.

Te Anau

Arcus Hi-Powers are well proven.As far as Im aware,if you get a 94 they are interchangeable parts wise with other Hi-Powers.The fit and finish on mine is as good as any other gun I own,so that shouldnt concern you.

dmt411

Te Anau, is the grip like any other brand out there that would give me an idea of the feel of the gun. I can not find a dealer with one in stock. I am not too concerned about their reliability, they have been manufacturing things that go "BANG" :D for some time.

blchandl2

I shoot my 98DA more accurately than my BHP. The Arcus is one of, if not the most accurate center fire pistols I own.

I hope to get a DAC to go with the DA.

raftman

I've had an Arcus 98DAC for probably a couple of years now and cannot praise it enough. I've fired thousands of rounds through it, cheap steel-cased, crappy reloads, expensive SD ammo, you name it, using both the factory mags and aftermarket; never a malfunction of any sort. It's durable, reliable, accurate, basically everything a good pistol should be.

98dac.jpg

C0untZer0

I miss my BHP but not enough I guess to buy another one.

But if I were to get an Arcus I'd get the SA version the 94.

It's a 75 year old design. As long as they use quality steel and decent manufacturing machinery, it's going to work.

I still can't figure out how some companies can produce 1911s and have them not work out of the box. The things have been working for 100 years, how could you screw that up?

Br_Mark

I just got one - 98DA

I picked up my new Arcus 98DA on Friday afternoon and I've run across a small problem. I field stripped my pistol to give it a good cleaning before heading to the range and (insert embarrassment here) I can't get the darn slide back onto the receiver. So, all I can comment on is that it seems to be a well made inexpensive handgun. Whenever I get past either my own ineptitude or a mechanical issue I'll let you know how the gun shoots or how it works as a paperweight.

Coltman 77

Br_Mark wrote:

I just got one - 98DA
I picked up my new Arcus 98DA on Friday afternoon and I've run across a small problem. I field stripped my pistol to give it a good cleaning before heading to the range and (insert embarrassment here) I can't get the darn slide back onto the receiver. So, all I can comment on is that it seems to be a well made inexpensive handgun. Whenever I get past either my own ineptitude or a mechanical issue I'll let you know how the gun shoots or how it works as a paperweight.

Good luck.

If you'd spent some more money you could have a real, reliable handgun that you can actually depend on.

tahunua001

Arcus is a Bulgarian company that has only just recently been imported into the states. a few people shy away from them because they are imported by century but they really have nothing to do with assembly or manufacture so those fears are unwarranted. apparently they are now being used by Iraqs military, not that that is much of a resume' but you gotta start somewhere I guess. all accounts I've heard have been positive. they are well made, reliable and rugged, though a little on the ugly side. all in all I would say that they are a good buy for $250-300.

Br_Mark

Coltman77 - True, but I wanted a low cost pistol that I could knock about and throw any type of ammo in with out worry of ruining a "safe queen". Live and learn, I'll know more after a trip to the local gunsmith.

djcantr - I found mine at gunsamerica.com

tahunua001

is the grip like any other brand out there that would give me an idea of the feel of the gun

they come with 2 different styles of grips. one is going to very similar to the browning hi power while the other is more similar to a set of hogue wrap arounds.

raftman

If you'd spent some more money you could have a real, reliable handgun that you can actually depend on.

The Arcus is as real (whatever that means :rolleyes: ) and reliable as absolutely any semi-auto pistol out there.

taurus4life

looks like we have a gun snob on this thread. i have no experience with arcus. i also have no experience with colt, so i certainly would not presume how good or bad either one is without personal use of them.