I made a pretty dumb deal on a Garand, but I wanted one bad. Have a few questions

Doug S

I got around to partially disassembling my Garand today. So far the rifle seems to be all Springfield. According to the drawing numbers the SA marked op-rod dates from early 1942. I guess both Springfield and Winchester made a grooved metal clip on the top hand guard, so I'm not sure about that one. According to the book they stopped using those in early 1942. The trigger assembly is either very late war, or post war Springfield. I didn't measure the cloverleaf to be sure which, but it is also stamped SA. The number/arrangement of diamonds/square, on the buttplate indicate Springfield. The stock is a Springfield USGI replacement stock. The receiver drawing number matched the serial number. Some day I'd like to have an original WWII Garand, but this one at least has some WWII parts (receiver, bolt, op-rod, top handguard/grooved clip, and possibly the USGI replacement stock). Didn't check the gas tube, so I'm not sure about that one. Also didn't check the smaller parts. Pretty fun doing the "investigative" work.

Flatbush Harry

As a serious statement, CMP M1s can be trusted to be:

1. what CMP says they are
2. properly headspaced
3. test-fired at CMP (unless a collector grade or special so noted as not test fired)

Provenances of non-CMP rifles are open to question. Sorry about that.

BTW, I have 2 correct grade SAs and an HRA special grade that is "new metal" in a "new CMP Walnut stock with new stock metal". All three have TE =0-1 and MW=<1. I use one as a shooter...am still evaluating what to do with the other two.

FH

Ruger4570

I bet you don't wanna hear about the M-1 Carbine I got for $69 and the Garand for $129. It was a deal for law enforcement folks and all guns were returns from the "lend Lease" program. You had to be a LEO and get a letter from your Chief or ranking officer it was for duty purposes. I still have the carbine but the M-1 was morphed into a Ruger #1 in 7 mm Mag, a Burris 3 X 9 scope loading dies and a few other goodies. Back when I traded it, in the early 70's the gun dealer drooled seeing one available and his chances of buying it. He did good, so did I.

Doug S

I bet you don't wanna hear about the M-1 Carbine I got for $69 and the Garand for $129.

And I thought $500 was a good deal on my carbine. Those were the days. I remember a friend getting a carbine back in the early 90s for something in the $100 range. If only I knew that what I know now.