I LOVE my .357, but...

Glen J

When I go to the range, I practice with .38's in my GP100, then finish off with some .357's for feel. Mostly for cost. Mine is 6", so it's a bit large, but when my license come's in, it's going to be a smaller version of the same thing. I love the feel. I have to agree, if you're going to be worried about protecting yourself and your loved ones, don't feel worried about overkill.

DennisE

I shoot .38 and .38+Ps out of my S&W 642 (J-frame), and .38s, .38+Ps and limited .357s out of my S&W 66 (K-frame) and mostly .357s out of my S&W 686 (L-Frame)! Dennis

skeeter1

"How many of you prefer the .38 or .38+P to the .357 in smaller frames?"

I had a S&W Model 66 with a 2.5" barrel, but the muzzle blast was too much for me. I sold it to a friend who is a US Army officer and a lot tougher than me.

I still have a S&W M60 in .38Spl+P with a 2" barrel, and I can deal with that one.

The only .357Mag I still have is a Marlin 1894C, and that's easy to shoot. Big difference between a 30oz revolver and a 7lb rifle!

carguychris

Keep the K and save up for a J. :)

IMHO a K-frame is more fun as a range gun. Unless you have really small hands, it's hard to get a good grip on a J-frame. Due to the short distance from the backstrap to the trigger, I find it hard to pull the trigger while keeping the sights aligned. The J-frame's coil mainspring makes the trigger less smooth and more "stagey" vs. the leaf mainspring in the K-frame. Furthermore, almost any .38Spl J-frame is going to have harsher recoil than the same load in a .38Spl or .357Mag K-frame.

The main reason to buy a J is to carry it and conceal it. The second reason is that the little bitty guns are just nifty. :) However, a K-frame is IMHO more fun to shoot and easier to shoot well. I enjoy shooting K-frames more than just about any other gun I've tried. :D

funon1

I would also say keep it and the .357 is not too much for defense

I carry a j-frame in .357 and find it perfectly comfortable for SD. Additionally, I have 0 concerns regarding its reliability or stopping potential. The .38 +p is a good choice if that's all you can handle, but, I do think bigger is better in this case.

Funon1