I LOVE my .357, but...

Driveout02

I really like the .357, but it does seem a little overkill. How many of you prefer the .38 or .38+P to the .357 in smaller frames? I'm thinking about trading my .357 K frame for a .38 J frame (both pre-lock- hopefully). What do you guys think?

p.s. (knowing I might have to cough up a few extra bucks for a small, pre-lock J)

BikerRN

I prefer to shoot .357 Magnum out of K and larger Frames. The J-Frames are no fun to shoot IMHO with magnums.

One of my frequently carried revolvers is a Ruger GP100 with a 442 as a BUG. The Ruger is loaded with 125 Grain .357 Magnums, the 442 with a 38 Special load. If I was going to carry a 5-shot .357 Magnum the only one I would consider is the Ruger SP101 due to it's weight and stregnth.

I don't think the .357 Magnum is "overkill" but rather it's probably my favorite round and has proven itself well on the street and in the woods.

Biker

wnycollector

My limit for a small size .357 is my Ruger Security Six snubbie. It handles everything from hot 125gr JHP's to 180gr hard cast flat points.

I have .38 2 J frames (M36 and 638). I picked up the M36 for $225 at a local gun show 2 weeks ago. I just got to the range with the all steel 36...I love the added weight and the sweet light trigger pull of the vintage S&W. The 638 may not get as much pocket time now that the M36 is in the gun cabinet!

Last edited:

chris in va

I have an SP101 and old model 36. My friend likes to shoot 38's out of the SP, not so much with the 36. Even being all steel, she complains of recoil with the little gun.

I have to agree, if you plan on extended range time with a J-frame, you might be disappointed. Fine if you want one for CC use, but keep the K-frame as a good all-around gun.

Neophyte1

Driveout02: Keep the K and get a J. Daily my carry is 638; with either a GP 100; or a Glock when.
Surprising results at the range. I shoot primarily single action; and the 638 will surprise you at 100yds:) Not as good as my Singles but enjoyable.:)

kamerer

I like a 2.5" k frame in .357 for winter carry, and a 2" steel J-frame with .38 for light/summer carry.

bikerbill

I carry a Taurus 617, 7-shot snubbie in cold weather, when I can cover it with a jacket or other over-garment. I usually load it with 100gr PowRBall rounds; but I also use Double Tap 125gr .38 +p's. Both pack a wallop; .38s are a little easier to shoot.

BigJimP

It depends on what you like - personally the J frame doesn't fit my hand very well / so I'm not a big fan. The J frame gives me some accuracy issues - that I would rather not deal with - god forbid, I'm under a lot of stress when I had to use it. But I don't like small pocket guns either - for the same reason. I understand they're better than nothing - but just not for me.

In general, I would rather have a .357mag round / or a .45 acp round in a carry weapon ( rather than a .38 or 9mm especially ) / or maybe a .40 S&W round - they just make me more comfortable / confident if I had to use them.

If I wanted to go to a small revolver, the smallest I would go is to a model 19 or 66 in a K frame in a 2 1/2" or a 4" barrel - and I like the 4" a lot better than the 2 1/2". If I wanted to go to a small semi-auto I would go with a 4" 1911 in .45 acp or a SIG 239 in .40 / I really prefer a 5" 1911 but there isn't anything wrong with the Wilson Combat CQB 4" either. I just don't think going real short / real small is necessarily the best option - unless those guns fit your hand a lot better than mine at least.

madcratebuilder

I shoot 357 in J, K and N frames. Have to admit the J frame is a hand full. I have a M&P 4" K frame that is very mild with 158gr 38spl loads.

credx2

J frame with 38 +p

I carried a model 60 loaded with 38 +P on my ankle for years and shot it well but it was tough on the hand and tough to shoot well for more than a few rounds, especially if you have grips on it small enough to make it easy to hide out in warm climate clothing. I got tired of the bloody thumb knuckle. I finally rewarded it for all of those years of service, with a pretty set of walnut grips and retired it. If you are going to shoot a bunch of +P, I recommend sticking with your K frame unless your looking for a hide out gun. For what it's worth I replaced the 60 with a Glock 27. I'm more accurate with it because it doesn’t hurt to shoot; it hides about as well as the 60 but has bigger bullets and holds more rounds.

madmag

Like many here I have several (wife says too many) guns. On the larger size I have a GP100 4". On the smaller size I have Mod. 60 & 36 & Det. Spec. But my favorite is my SS Speed Six 2-3/4". Just heavy enough for full mag. loads, or hot +P stuff, and a full six shots. My Det. spec. with Carbon +P is my next choice.

My oldest son has a SP101 snub. It's no fun at all with mag. loads. Ok with +p, but still fairly heavy and 5 shots. So, the Speed Six just to fits.

gak

For .357, to me nothing smaller than the Security Six snubbie, as the gent said....or maybe SP101 'cause of its heft. I must be the wuss here: the only caliber to me that really works well/makes sense with a true Smith or clone "J" is the .32 Mag, which I have in a 431 Airweight and it's a delight - still a popper with heavier loads but fully manageable - and has that nice full 6 shots. I had a J .38 that I shot with mild loads that wasn't bad --- for awhile but then got obnoxious in a hurry -- and it was not an airweight but full steel. I'll admit strictly as a carry piece where the last thing you think of is blast and recoil in a stressed/emergency, probably fine, but the .32M still trumps it for fast followup and (under those conditions) accurate shot placement.

For standard (but not heavy) .357 or .38+P, nowadays for me it's the very hard to find 3" K Smith 65-5 (Lady Smith, unlike some didn't me take long to get past the moniker!...best of the bunch/fixed sight/brushed stainless/6 shot and full lug/shroud). No cc gun, but it's still a joy to carry, handle and shoot. If you like adjustable sights better, look for a similar format 66 3". Also not growing on trees but easier to find than the Lady Smith. However, if set on the .38+P/.357 in a J/small-ish format, I'd say the SP101.

Last edited:
I really like the .357, but it does seem a little overkill. How many of you prefer the .38 or .38+P to the .357 in smaller frames? I'm thinking about trading my .357 K frame for a .38 J frame (both pre-lock- hopefully). What do you guys think?

I'm sorry, but I think it's really a dumb idea. Overkill? Unfortunately, KILL is the name of the game. You've drawn your weapon to defend either your life, or the life of a loved one. You don't draw your gun for, "I hope it will kill." or "Maybe it will kill." or "If it hurts maybe he will stop." He is sure gonna kill you without blinking, so how can anything be overkill? It's your life or his. A .357 K-frame is one of the best platforms out there. If your barrel is too long, have it cut down to 2.5 or 3", but keep your K-frame. The only time I carry my J-frame .38 is when there is absolutely no way of carrying a .357 or my .45, and I promise you, that isn't very often.

I know someone is gonna say "Shot placement is the key, and a .38 will kill with a well placed shot." However, if you're moving or the bad guy is moving, and/or both, you might not get a perfect, well placed shot. You want to take him down where ever you hit him, and you have a better chance with .357 than a .38 any day. I know the .357 isn't magic, but it can sure stop a fight better than a .38 out of a 2" barrel.

Target shooting? Maybe it's overkill for tin cans and golf balls, but not for saving your life. That's not a game to be taken lightly.

Sorry if I came on too strong. I never want to take a life, but if it came down to saving my wife or myself, I'm never gonna say, "Gee, I wish I had a smaller gun."

ghalleen

I carry a Taurus 617, 7-shot snubbie in cold weather, when I can cover it with a jacket or other over-garment. I usually load it with 100gr PowRBall rounds; but I also use Double Tap 125gr .38 +p's. Both pack a wallop; .38s are a little easier to shoot.

Is your 617 the ported model? Mine is titanium (very lightweight), and ported. It's pretty pleasant with all .357 loads I've tried. It doesn't kick any worse than my Ruger Security Six. Now, on the other hand, I have a Taurus 605 (steel), and it kicks like a mule.

B.N.Real

"I really like my 357."

NEVER TRADE OR SELL IT.

Just get the 38 special rounds and fire them in it instead.

You already have a great fondness for that particular gun.

DON'T GET RID OF IT.

jben

I have the 3" model 60-10, which is a 357. I know it is fully capable of firing the 357 cartridge, but I consider it to be a very durable 38 Special, because that is what I shoot in it. In this size revolver, I like to dedicate it to 38 Special use. I already have a 3" Gp100 to handle 357 needs. Sounds as though I'm partial to the 3" barrel revolvers. jben

629 shooter

I'm thinking about trading my .357 K frame for a .38 J frame (both pre-lock- hopefully). What do you guys think?

If it is a Model 19 or 66 - I would definitely hang on to the K-Frame 357. There is nothing wrong with shooting 38/38+Ps out of a 357 revolver. I shoot them in my 66 and they are quite pleasant.

SAWBONES

Don't credit any handgun round with the quality of "overkill"; they're all woefully underpowered and ineffective.

The best that can be done IMNSHO is to have a reasonably portable handgun that employs a cartridge having a largish bullet (.45 caliber preferred) travelling at a reasonable speed (say 800fps or more), which is adequately controllable in its operation. Add controllability to this, and you can't reasonably expect more in a CCW sidearm.

Fears about "overpenetration" to the contrary, many handgun rounds don't reliably penetrate enough to reach important places, whether the initial traverse is an arm, a bunch of fat, thick pectoral muscle, a car windshield or sheet metal.
At least the .357 Magnum, though not at its best when used in short barrelled revolvers, has better penetration than most of the potential alternatives. True, the bullet is only a little bigger than 1/3 inch in diameter, and may not expand, and is also possessed of high recoil impulse and slow shot-to-shot recovery, but only in the sense of difficulty with practical use in self-protection does it perhaps represent "overkill".