I know nothing about revolvers, but..

Eagleks

Wow... I think you already eliminated everything there is. Are you sure you want to carry one ? or... are you looking for the impossible gun and then use that as a reason you aren't carrying it ?

Don't like the safety of the semi's.... gee, there are only a thousand of them with every type of safety feature from one end to the other. 1911's , are 1911's. Revolvers, have NO safety.... just don't pull the trigger and they won't shoot.

To me, what I'm hearing you say is .... that you just aren't comfortable with any particular gun yet to carry it. Get what you like, spend time getting comfortable with it and that it won't shoot unless you pull the trigger, and carry as you become accustomed to the gun and the idea of it.

Personally, if you are not willing to use the gun for your protection, dont' carry one... it may be just a liability.

My suggestion at this point would be, check out any good 5 shot j-frame revolver, most women like them because the feel and grips seem to fit them better. Also , the Beretta Tomcat .32 cal with a tip up barrel and safety... which is smaller and will conceal well, or some .380's (I can't believe I just said that).

Last edited:

dayid

ie2special said:
I have been avoiding a Glock for carrying due to the "safe action" not being safe enough for me.

SemiAuto-vs-Revolver aside, this statement concerns me.

Safeties in a gun are to stop it from going off when someone is not pulling the trigger. A gun going off when the trigger is pulled is sign of a properly working gun.

If you did go to a revolver, what would you be using as a safety to stop the trigger from being pulled? Whether it's a glock or a revolver, either way a proper holster that protects the trigger is the answer.

That is, unless you are going to carry a SAO revolver for self-defense, but I'd say that's akin to carrying a semiauto that isn't chambered - seconds (and portions of them) count in self-defense situations.

So, shoot some revolvers, play around, see what you like. Ultimately though, you need to have a good holster and come to trust yourself enough to only pull the trigger when you want the gun to go bang.

jimbob86

Safeties in a gun are to stop it from going off when someone is not pulling the trigger. A gun going off when the trigger is pulled is sign of a properly working gun.

:confused:

..... and here I thought safeties were to keep the gun going off when someone or something unintentionally pulled the trigger..... somebody is confused here..... not that you are supposed to ever do that, but "stuff" happens, hence the high rate of "Oh STUFF!" ND's with "safe action" pistols with the safety on the trigger. Even the "Only Ones Professional Enough" have "Stuff Happen" .....

As I recall, function checking the m-16 involved putting the weapon "on safe" and pulling the trigger to ensure the safety worked....

Function checking on the 1911 involves the same step, plus checking the grig safety, too .......

dayid

jimbob86 said:
.... and here I thought safeties were to keep the gun going off when someone or something unintentionally pulled the trigger
Perhaps if you're using it as a "safety from dolts". Anyone who is randomly putting their finger on a trigger and "unintentionally" pulling it - should not be handling firearms. And the "something" - is covered by my prior statements about a proper holster.

This is why the popularity of the glock's safety, double-action revolvers, and double-action (or da/sa with only a decocker - no safety) pistols are so high. Nothing else to mess with.

Now, grip safeties are one exception. The most notable grip-safety is on the 1911. Some may argue - but the original design did not have the thumb-safety. The grip safety - other than to make sure the gun was being held - was ultimately to protect from the drop/slam/hammer-bash making the gun fire - vs it actually being held and having the trigger pulled.

That all - is completely beside the point though - my original point of someone wanting a revolver when they're afraid of carrying a glock - still stands. Unless they are going to get a revolver with an external safety - or carry one that is single-action only, that concern is not at place in the argument between glock-vs-revolver.

pmeisel

You say you like lightweight -- I'd suggest going to a well stocked store and looking at some J-frame S&W products....

Cemo

If you like your G17 you may want to look at the more compact G26. Your concerns with the 5 lb factory trigger can be lessened by installing a Glock 8lb NY-1 trigger or even the 12lb NY-2 trigger. MidwayUsa.com has these for $2, also get the $10 take down tool for Glocks. The are numerous instructional videos on the web on how to install. I converted all my Glocks that I carry concealed over to the NY-1 trigger.

My CCW's.
Ruger LCP .380, always pocket carry in addition the what ever else I carry
S&W 642 .38, nice for pocket carry.
SP101 w/hammer spur, .357, favorite
Glock 26 9mm
Glock 19 9mm
S&W 3913 9mm
Kimber CDP Pro .45